Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-21-2020, 01:02 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Lots of spots on photos

While editing photos , notice alot of spots show up - i mean quite a few more than 10 spots , is it just dust particles or is it fungus/ or whatever. I have a cleaning kit , brush, air blower, etc. Going to watch a video to see if i can get rid of them.
zzxxcc_

03-21-2020, 01:15 PM - 2 Likes   #2
Veteran Member

To see dust spots, take a photo of a light coloured plain background, such as a clear blue sky, with the aperture stopped down all the way and out of focus. Any spots seen would be dust particles. In order to remove them, I highly recommend the Pentax O-ICK1 stick, it's very simple and easy to use. Just remember the dust spots on the photo are flipped when on the sensor (the sensor sees upside down as to what it outputs).

EDIT - further thoughts: I see you have a cleaning kit, try using the camera 'Dust removal' feature first. This shakes the sensor to try and remove dust. Followed by using the blower (however, I have not had much luck using these as it tends to just preposition the dust on the sensor). If these don't work, then use the cleaning kit according to directions and make sure you know what you're going to do before starting. Don't touch the sensor with anything not designed to touch it, such as a brush or LensPen thingy. And remember to have a full battery when putting the camera in sensor cleaning mode.
03-21-2020, 01:41 PM   #3
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
user reviews for Description: The Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O ICK1

QuoteQuote:
Description:
The Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O ICK1 contains a cleaning stick with a special polyurethane rubber tip and special paper. To clean the sensor just press the tip of the cleaning stick onto the low-pass filter covering the sensor. Then wipe away the dirt on the cleaning stick's tip with the special paper. The Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit O-ICK1 39357 can work with Pentax Digital SLR Cameras as well as other Digital SLR Cameras by different brands.

Read more at: Pentax Image Sensor Cleaning Kit, O-ICK1 reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
03-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
To see dust spots, take a photo of a light coloured plain background, such as a clear blue sky, with the aperture stopped down all the way and out of focus. Any spots seen would be dust particles. In order to remove them, I highly recommend the Pentax O-ICK1 stick, it's very simple and easy to use. Just remember the dust spots on the photo are flipped when on the sensor (the sensor sees upside down as to what it outputs).

EDIT - further thoughts: I see you have a cleaning kit, try using the camera 'Dust removal' feature first. This shakes the sensor to try and remove dust. Followed by using the blower (however, I have not had much luck using these as it tends to just preposition the dust on the sensor). If these don't work, then use the cleaning kit according to directions and make sure you know what you're going to do before starting. Don't touch the sensor with anything not designed to touch it, such as a brush or LensPen thingy. And remember to have a full battery when putting the camera in sensor cleaning mode.
I just used the air blower ,then i took some photos quick , outside pics , not inside, that may helped. I took some pics of inside of apartment. Still see particles, small , and large , lots of them. I thnk there is a lot of dust in it, because they may move around. Not sure what the problem is .
zxc

Last edited by zzxxcc_penthouse; 03-21-2020 at 04:25 PM.
03-21-2020, 03:59 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Another Spotted Guy

I am also seeing spots on photos taken with my K-5. It just started 2 days ago. It has happened with 3 different lenses, so it's not a lens problem.

I've attached a couple of shots from 2 different lenses, each edited to make the spots more pronounced. Not sure if they'll show. But there are 10 or more of various sizes strewn across the pix in no apparent pattern.

I've used the built in dust removal tool; no difference.
I also tried pixel mapping without success.
I have used the "Sensor Cleaning" function to open the mirror. If I strain my eyes under the right light I see one spot of what might be dust. But certainly nothing like the 10 or so dots I see.
I have not tried to use any sort of cleaning process.
Your suggestions welcome.
Greg
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-5  Photo 
03-21-2020, 04:02 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Roam Redway Quote
I am also seeing spots on photos taken with my K-5. It just started 2 days ago. It has happened with 3 different lenses, so it's not a lens problem.

I've attached a couple of shots from 2 different lenses, each edited to make the spots more pronounced. Not sure if they'll show. But there are 10 or more of various sizes strewn across the pix in no apparent pattern.

I've used the built in dust removal tool; no difference.
I also tried pixel mapping without success.
I have used the "Sensor Cleaning" function to open the mirror. If I strain my eyes under the right light I see one spot of what might be dust. But certainly nothing like the 10 or so dots I see.
I have not tried to use any sort of cleaning process.
Your suggestions welcome.
Greg
Dust spots all right.

Personally the easiest tool to use is the Pentax O-ICK1, it's very intuitive, and as a complete beginner, I had no troubles using it. It's a bit costly, but compared to the hassle of wet cleaning, it's worth it, and you'll be able to use it indefinitely if needed.
03-21-2020, 04:05 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Appears to be dust. Charge the battery, take off the lens while holding the camera face down and blow several times again. Then if there are still the spots, do a wet clean Lots of vids and written instructions, just set up everything first and make sure your battery is fully charged so there are no mishaps.

03-21-2020, 04:21 PM   #8
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

if the OP hasn't tried this yet

I would suggest using the camera's dust removal program several times in a row

that has worked for me on my K 3 and K 3 II

review the owner's manual at pg 340

http://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/man-pdf/k-5.pdf
03-21-2020, 04:23 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you all.
Greg
03-21-2020, 05:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
Dust spots all right.

Personally the easiest tool to use is the Pentax O-ICK1, it's very intuitive, and as a complete beginner, I had no troubles using it. It's a bit costly, but compared to the hassle of wet cleaning, it's worth it, and you'll be able to use it indefinitely if needed.
Mine are like that but worse. In the picture of blue sky / and dog with ball. I have big different shape particles.

zxc
03-21-2020, 05:28 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by zzxxcc_penthouse Quote
Mine are like that but worse. In the picture of blue sky / and dog with ball. I have big different shape particles.

zxc
Sounds like dust spots - what cleaning kit do you have to clean it with? Is it a wet cleaning kit with swaps?
03-21-2020, 06:31 PM   #12
Pentaxian

The lazy way is to only use your lens at f/2 or more open. They show more as you use smaller apertures.
03-21-2020, 08:52 PM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by zzxxcc_penthouse Quote

zxc
Can you post an example, probably dust, but show us.
03-22-2020, 12:07 AM - 1 Like   #14
Pentaxian

And don't forget to turn off the camera when changing lenses. This made the biggest difference in my K-100D days.
03-22-2020, 03:03 AM   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Dust is a tough thing. If you get to the place where there is too much for an air blower to take care of, you'll need to do a wet cleaning or if you don't feel comfortable doing that, a lot of camera shops will do a cleaning for you for a fee.