Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 02:29 AM   #1

645z D-FA 55mm Iris Stopping Down When Lens is Mounted

Hi, I'm a new 645z user and have a difficulty with the iris of the lens stopping down when attaching to the camera body. The lens (D-FA 55mm) stops down to what looks like approx f8 or f11 when attaching it to the camera; this happens during the final part of the attachment when the iris tab of the lens meets with the iris driver of the body. The same thing happened when I tried an older 645 lens. Unsurprisingly, the metering is way out, the camera barely functions and I'm only able to use manual mode with aperture settings above f11 (albeit with great results). Both the 645z body (like new condition) and the lens were purchased used from a reputable dealer. Is the camera body faulty or am I missing something really obvious..? I'm baffled as to why this should be happening and any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks, John

03-24-2020, 04:30 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Have you had a word with the dealer ?
03-24-2020, 05:27 AM   #3

Original Poster
Yes, but unfortunately they don't have anyone familiar with the 645z and are unable to suggest a cause or remedy. I could send the camera back for a refund but would like to know if there is something obvious or straightforward that I'm missing.
03-24-2020, 08:04 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnVol Quote
Yes, but unfortunately they don't have anyone familiar with the 645z and are unable to suggest a cause or remedy. I could send the camera back for a refund but would like to know if there is something obvious or straightforward that I'm missing.
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

In case you don't, do you have a copy of the manual and menu supplement?

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

I don't have a 645Z in front of me, but memory from previous use of the 645 system is that mounting the lens should be quite straightforward...align the red dots and rotate clockwise onto the mount (nothing more to press or fiddle with) until it locks into place. The camera should be as easy to use as a smaller format dSLR with few surprises. If the seller is not helpful due to ignorance, it is likely they did not test the body for basic operation before offering it for sale. I would call them again and suggest a return for full credit.

Steve

03-24-2020, 12:23 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thanks Steve. Lens mounting is fine; I've had Pentax 67s for many years and many other SLR cameras. If there is no obvious solution, I can return the camera for a refund, which would be a shame.
John
03-24-2020, 12:25 PM   #6

Original Poster
ps.. I have a copy of the manual and after reading thoroughly, still can't figure out a solution.
03-24-2020, 01:29 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I am not a technician but this sounds like the aperture control part inside the z is defect. Pentax service can replace it for a few hundred bucks.
I had this with mine when I bought it used too.
6 Days Ago   #8

Original Poster
Thanks everyone. Looks like the camera will need to be returned for repair.