Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
03-24-2020, 05:30 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
In-Focus Notification - Turn On!!

Hello,

This may be a silly question or issue... But:

My camera(s) used to have an indication of when things were in focus (especially useful when shooting Manual Focus). It would be a slight flash of a Red-dot in the viewfinder (the same way it would flash, when pressing AF). This feature was on my K-5, K-3, K-1 at various points. Sometimes, if you had the noise feature turned on, the camera would even beep at you.

Anyone know in the settings, how to get this feature back. I'm not sure what caused it to go away? so I don't know how to get it back?? This is a super helpful feature, so it be really nice! (Changing the Phase Focus Area, AF.S/AF.C, Metering, Viewfinder Overlay, Other Display Setting, seem to address it)

Best,

03-24-2020, 05:42 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There is a pentagon in the bottom center of the viewfinder screen which turns solid green when you have focus.
03-24-2020, 07:28 AM   #3

The red dot is to show what the autofocus is using as it's focal point.

Kirk B.
03-24-2020, 07:33 AM   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
On my KP it is under:

Menu-Camera tab-Menu tab 5-Viewfinder Overlay-Superimpose AF Area

Hope this helps!

03-24-2020, 07:37 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by landofcourtness Quote
It would be a slight flash of a Red-dot in the viewfinder (the same way it would flash, when pressing AF).
As noted above, the red dot only tells you the active AF point. The green hexagon and beep tell you that best focus has been acquired.

Steve
03-24-2020, 11:24 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I believe you're asking about the "catch in focus" option for manual shooting. In the K-3 menu options the setting can be found under C-4, selection 25. You can then turn it on or off. Not sure about where to find it using the other camera models, but it would probably be in the "C" settings location. Hope this works.
03-24-2020, 12:22 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

K-5

Menu, C-4, 25 set to 2 (on)

03-24-2020, 06:05 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyone know in the settings, how to get this feature back. I'm not sure what caused it to go away? so I don't know how to get it back??
Did the feature disappear on all your 3 camera bodies?
03-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #9
Veteran Member

If nothing else works, try turning the AF switch on the front of the body on.
03-26-2020, 12:54 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks for all of the feedback!!

I cleaned the contacts on all of my cameras + lenses, and did tests on my K-3 and K-1 (my old K-5 I gave to a family that I work with, so couldn't test). It doesn't really register the pentagon ever... or at least I can't seem to find that point, even though I can obviously see that I am going out-in-out of focus. I was practically gradually going through the Manual focus too... still no pentagon registering. I thought maybe it was a problem with compatibility, but on the DFAs it hasn't really been that big of an increase. I have been able to experience the Pentagon (w/sound, I turned it on) under a few circumstance... but I wasn't able to reliably re-create it. There are moments where I think its reached 'peak-focus' but for some reason its not registering... and not really sure why

I did change the catch-in focus setting. Not sure what it changed though (I thought this was a Auto-feature, not a manual one).

I did try and change to AF, just to see... and it focuses (like normal, it always worked and was never in question). The Pentagon lights up and everything. It's not that far off from where I was MF, but without the Pentagon. Mike asked, if this is happening to all of the Cameras... Yes! Neither of them seem to get/not get the Pentagon regardless of Lens/Body or setting/mode. I don't know when it stopped, but I just remember it being easier to activate/indicate. I haven't tried to explore it really in the past 1-2 years, so not sure. Steve mentioned technique... Not the greatest technique in terms of skill (kind of what inspired this) is there a particular technique that would make this more/less likely?? I feel like everything is pretty steady, and we're just simply rotating the focus-ring.

Thanks!! Any other input would be greatly appreciated...

List of lenses (for reference): Sigma DG EX 17-35 2.8-4, Sig 35 1.4, 28-105 DFA kit, 24-70 2.8 DFA, Tam 90 2.8, Sig 70-200 2.8,
03-26-2020, 05:16 AM - 2 Likes   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
beep
The beep is the first thing I turn off when getting a new camera.
03-26-2020, 05:27 AM - 1 Like   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I checked this on my K-1ii and at first I thought I had the same thing issue in manual focus mode. However, I have back button focus set and when I push in the back focus button as I focus the pentagon lights up. If you do not have back button focus activated try just holding down the shutter button as you focus.
03-26-2020, 10:48 AM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

It doesn't really register the pentagon ever... or at least I can't seem to find that point, even though I can obviously see that I am going out-in-out of focus.
Then I guess it is safe to assume that viewfinder AF (PDAF) also does not work on any of your cameras? Focus confirm and PDAF use the same system.

Steve
03-26-2020, 10:59 AM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Mikesul Quote
I checked this on my K-1ii and at first I thought I had the same thing issue in manual focus mode. However, I have back button focus set and when I push in the back focus button as I focus the pentagon lights up. If you do not have back button focus activated try just holding down the shutter button as you focus.
Good point

Setting up for back button focus with AF on half-press disabled will change things. If not, focus confirm will be active as long as the meter is active after half-press (at least on my K-3), though I have found it easiest to leave my finger on the shutter button on half press while doing manual focus. Alternatively, extending the meter shut-off time in the set-up menu may help.

Steve
03-30-2020, 12:04 AM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bdery Quote
The beep is the first thing I turn off when getting a new camera.
Yes, it's been this way for a pretty long while, which is why I haven't noticed the camera not indicating this for so long. I turned it back on, to explicit see when this occurs now.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Setting up for back button focus with AF on half-press disabled will change things. If not, focus confirm will be active as long as the meter is active after half-press (at least on my K-3), though I have found it easiest to leave my finger on the shutter button on half press while doing manual focus. Alternatively, extending the meter shut-off time in the set-up menu may help.
I'm not sure what you guys are saying here? Are you that by setting up Back-Button focus, that it could be the reason that it appears to be happening less? In terms of Back-Button focus, I don't quite use it the way most would think when considered when they say Back-Button Focus. I guess I do the opposite, where pressing the AF-button stops the AF when pressing the shutter (if that makes sense)