Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2020, 11:43 AM   #1

Possible K3 Issue?

Hello Everyone. I have just purchased a gently used K3. All functions appear OK in the very limited use I have with over the week with one exception. I notice if I change the metering mode to Center or Multi, the rear LCD display still designated Spot on the 4 way controller icon. It does not change no matter the metering mode.
The metering icon image on left will indeed change but the 4 way controller on right still reads Spot no matter the mode. The camera still has the original rev 1 software and was never updated. Is there an actual issue or is this the norm? Doesn't seem like it should still read Spot but perhaps that's normal? Anyone with a k3 who can help out?
I have attached image. Many thanks.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
LM-X210APM  Photo 
03-26-2020, 11:52 AM   #2
Ole
Administrator

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The "Spot" display shows the autofocus mode, not the metering mode.

The metering mode is shown to the left, third row.
03-26-2020, 12:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Ole Quote
The "Spot" display shows the autofocus mode, not the metering mode.

The metering mode is shown to the left, third row.
Also, with some 3rd party lenses and any lens attached to the F 1.7x AF adapter, spot it the only setting you get even for AF.
03-26-2020, 12:15 PM   #4

Original Poster
Ahh brilliant! I have now seen the AF button on left of camera will adjust this parameter. Thank you! Now I just need to learn what the different focus modes are used for!
I assume that the AF will focus towards the amount of how many "dots" the focus icon displays? Funny but I had none of these millions of options on my old KX film camera and I managed just fine. Perhaps someday there will be a digital camera released which incorporates just the basics needed as the old film SLR's did. think I might enjoy that more.

03-26-2020, 12:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

There are several AF modes, such as Center (single point), Center Weighted (center and area immediately surrounding center), and Multi Segment (multiple expansive points further distanced from the center). There are ways you can do variations also.

You should be fine, just take one thing at a time. You will learn from your shooting, manual definitions, and other available information resources..

Happy shooting!
03-26-2020, 01:06 PM - 1 Like   #6
Forum Member

Turning to the basics of making a picture...

QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Ahh brilliant! I have now seen the AF button on left of camera will adjust this parameter. Thank you! Now I just need to learn what the different focus modes are used for!
I assume that the AF will focus towards the amount of how many "dots" the focus icon displays? Funny but I had none of these millions of options on my old KX film camera and I managed just fine. Perhaps someday there will be a digital camera released which incorporates just the basics needed as the old film SLR's did. think I might enjoy that more.
I agree with you: A digital camera with all the options you got with the Pentax Super A or the Pentax SFX/SFXn. Sometimes I think I am lugging a computer for just making stills. But you can turn your camera just the way your KX worked. Set the program dial to M and give in the shutter speed and aperture, but do make use of the AF as a bonus. You then have a KX - Extra!
03-26-2020, 01:26 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Hawkfan Quote
Funny but I had none of these millions of options on my old KX film camera and I managed just fine. Perhaps someday there will be a digital camera released which incorporates just the basics needed as the old film SLR's did. think I might enjoy that more.
First thing I do with a new digital camera is change the default AF mode down to 9 point. I want to be in charge of AF zone, not let the camera decide.
03-26-2020, 01:31 PM - 3 Likes   #8

Original Poster
I actually wonder the percentage of users who utilize more than 50% of all the doodads and woozits on these cameras. And another old man gripe here...get the video crap out of my camera please. I'll buy a video camera if I want one. The all things to all people mentality has to stop. I thought the K-X DSLR I just stepped up from had more than needed. This K-3 goes to 11 to quote Nigel Tufnel. And this is 5 years old already. Perhaps one day I will whip out the old KX and if there is any film left on the planet, Ill learn to develop. For me that is the greatest thing about digital is not having to throw away precious dollars for lousy pictures. But boy I would really love a 6 or 10 function digital.

03-26-2020, 06:25 PM - 2 Likes   #9
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I only use 5 doodads and 3 woozits.

Enjoy that K-3, she’s great.
03-26-2020, 07:18 PM   #10
Pentaxian

A lot of the features are just different ways to do the same thing. For example, nearly all the modes except B and video simply put a priority on different things. I've tried them out for fun and mostly use two of them. Switching modes a lot would give me a headache, but having lots of modes allows everyone else to pick their favorite.

When you are trying out lots of new features, try to return the camera to a "normal" state when you're done. The next time you pick it up, you won't remember what odd settings you used last time. There's a section in the settings called Memory, where you can tell the camera what to keep or forget every time the power is switched off.
03-26-2020, 11:33 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
K3 will grow on you. I highly recommend the ebook available on this forum. Much better reading than the camera manual.
03-27-2020, 07:28 PM - 1 Like   #12

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pjv Quote
I only use 5 doodads and 3 woozits.

Enjoy that K-3, she’s great.
That one actually made me laugh out loud. My wife gave me a funny look. Rare for me. Laughing out loud that is, not the wife's funny look.
Great tips one and all. Love the forum.