Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-26-2020, 11:59 AM   #1

Pentax Espio 140v Lens Stuck (-- display)

Hello,

My Pentax Espio 140v is having an issue where the lens is stuck about 1/4 of the way out, and won't shut when i slide the protector over. I tried switching out batteries. I also tried to manually rewind the film, and it won't respond.

Where the number of exposures is usually displayed, there is a flashing - - instead.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

03-28-2020, 10:01 AM   #2
Pentaxian

On cameras like the Espio 140, the lens is connected to the circuit board by a ribbon cable that is required to unfold and fold every time the camera is switched on and/or zoomed. Eventually, the connections at either end of the ribbon wear and fail. That usually generates an error message, which results in a flashing display.

This could be the cause of your problem. Or it could be something more pedestrian, like a few grains of sand jammed in the main drive gears.

The sad fact is most of these point and shoot cameras are nearing the ends of their practical lifespans. Most have died already.

I did a cynical calculation once, and figured the manufacturers of such cameras only had to keep the owners happy for 10 years at most. And most of those owners probably never shot more than five or six rolls of film a year. But design and build a mechanism that could run 10 rolls of film a year for 10 years, and you only had to put a hundred rolls of film through the transport, and click the shutter 3,600 times and you had a good product.

I know of many such point and shoots that didn't make it that far. And then there were others (like my mother-in-law's Pentax) that did much better.

Sure, they could have built them tougher and longer-lasting, but then they would have cost more, and most customers were happy spending what they did for a pocket camera that would last them a decade.

Now that they aren't being made any more, and parts for repairs are pretty unobtainable, people are starting to wish they could keep them running a bit longer.