Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 06:28 AM   #1
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Stuck aperture on Pentax DA 16-85

I'm very upset to find that all the photos I took today are ruined. It looks like the aperture on the HDDA 16-85 is stuck wide open. Almost every photo is overexposed despite the camera being set to -0.5EV. Photos with the DFA 150-450 are fine, so it seems to be the 16-85 which has the problem. Has anyone experienced this with the 16-85? I just tried my 100 macro and it's fine. Using DOF preview on the 16-85 has no effect, although if I manually move the aperture mechanism, the iris does move, so it seems that the actuator isn't working.

Stuck aperture
by RobGeraghty, on Flickr

03-28-2020, 07:36 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Dirty or misaligned contact?
03-28-2020, 07:50 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
That's my first thought... clean contacts on camera and lens.

Also, have you got another body to try it on?
03-28-2020, 08:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Another idea is the aperture lever is bent, so the arm in the camera can't engage it. Compare it to other lenses. The camera would only make the actuator arm noise when using DOF preview, so it would be much quieter.

03-28-2020, 11:32 AM   #5
Pentaxian

I actually had this same problem. Fortunately the lens was still under warranty, so I was able to get it fixed at no charge.
03-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #6
Forum Member

Had the same problem. It happenned when I tripped and fell. Camera or lens did not hit the ground but I guess it jarred it enough the the aperture was stuck wide open. Sent it to Advance Camera in Portland and they repaired it for what I thought was a very reasonable price. I believe around $75.
03-28-2020, 04:58 PM   #7
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jlstrawman Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's my first thought... clean contacts on camera and lens.

Also, have you got another body to try it on?
Any idea which contact(s) connect with aperture operation?

03-28-2020, 07:47 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. It looks like the return spring on the aperture is broken. I just did a comparison test with the Tamron 17-50 and the Tamron lens is fine, so hopefully the camera is also fine. I know I've used the 16-85 a lot in the last 15 months, but I've used the Tamron a lot more, and it's aprture spring is fine, despite being a much cheaper lens. The Tamron does have an electronic fault, but it was an import from Hong Kong so no chance of fixing it when it was under warranty. Looks like I'll have to go back to the Tamron lens for a while. Next I have to decide whether to drive back to Mount Coree again to take the photos from yesterday all over again...
03-28-2020, 08:06 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
FWIW my sigma 70-200 did the same thing.... I checked to see if the aperture lever was bent and binding.... no go.... so I took it to CR Kennedy.... about a $130 repair late last year.

When in China many years ago I dropped my K5II and all lenses shot wide open from that point on... a connector inside the camera had come off.

Last edited by noelpolar; 03-28-2020 at 08:14 PM.
03-29-2020, 04:40 AM   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by noelpolar Quote
FWIW my sigma 70-200 did the same thing.... I checked to see if the aperture lever was bent and binding.... no go.... so I took it to CR Kennedy.... about a $130 repair late last year.
When in China many years ago I dropped my K5II and all lenses shot wide open from that point on... a connector inside the camera had come off.
Thanks Noel. I'm just disappointed that this has happened to a lens which is only just over a year old, while I have other lenses much older which are going strong. I didn't drop the lens. Anyway, I've emailed CRK so hopefully I'll get some guidance tomorrow.

---------- Post added 29-03-20 at 11:12 PM ----------

FWIW this is (almost) what I wanted to photograph yesterday.

The corner of the Territory

I say almost, because I didn't walk the last 200m to the top of the peak when I went back today, because there was a lot more cloud.
03-29-2020, 12:25 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
Thanks Noel. I'm just disappointed that this has happened to a lens which is only just over a year old, while I have other lenses much older which are going strong. I didn't drop the lens. Anyway, I've emailed CRK so hopefully I'll get some guidance tomorrow.

---------- Post added 29-03-20 at 11:12 PM ----------

FWIW this is (almost) what I wanted to photograph yesterday.

The corner of the Territory

I say almost, because I didn't walk the last 200m to the top of the peak when I went back today, because there was a lot more cloud.
Beautiful photo.
03-29-2020, 12:31 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by RobG Quote
With any luck they will repair it under warranty, given you are only a little beyond a year.

Steve
03-29-2020, 05:08 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TerryL Quote
Beautiful photo.
Thanks! I'll have to be satisfied with the other cameras for the previous day. The only vaguely successful Pentax shots from Saturday were with the Theta V.

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
With any luck they will repair it under warranty, given you are only a little beyond a year.
I hope so, Steve!
11-21-2022, 04:41 AM - 3 Likes   #14

Hi, I know this is a bit late compared to the original post, but I also had a problem with the DA 16-85 sticking in open aperture.

As the lens was out of warranty I took it apart myself and it turned out that the spring had come unhooked from its pin so the aperture could no longer be changed. The pin is quite short and there is nothing to stop the spring from sliding off the top. My solution was to replace the spring on the pin (not easy as it is tiny) and put a tiny amount of glue on the pin to stop it sliding off.
However I do not suggest that anyone tries to do this themselves as there are some very small parts that are easily lost, so get it fixed professionally instead.

I hope this may help with anyone else who has this problem.
11-21-2022, 04:48 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by DaveD Quote
As the lens was out of warranty I took it apart myself and it turned out that the spring had come unhooked from its pin so the aperture could no longer be changed. The pin is quite short and there is nothing to stop the spring from sliding off the top. My solution was to replace the spring on the pin (not easy as it is tiny) and put a tiny amount of glue on the pin to stop it sliding off.
However I do not suggest that anyone tries to do this themselves as there are some very small parts that are easily lost, so get it fixed professionally instead.
I hope this may help with anyone else who has this problem.
Good to know! I gather that mine had that issue. It was fixed under warranty.