Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-28-2020, 03:55 PM   #1

K-70 dark images

Is there a problem with aperture on Pentax K70- when I take a photo it is very dark but settings are all ok. when I se he viewfinder images are dark but when I use the screen images are brighter but blurred like the shutter is open longer?? I took it into the store I bought it at and they said it is a problem with camera body aperture and not the lens. I have had the camera for two years so no warranty but have hardly used it- Is it worth it to send it away for a repair? or better to buy a new body? and is it know that this problem is common?
My first (expensive for me) camera and am very disappointed as it has not been used much. Any advice?
Thanks
seaK70

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-70  Photo 
03-28-2020, 04:04 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This looks like aperture block failure, which is a common fault in this series of camera bodies. The EXIF says f/9.0 was set, but I suspect the aperture never opened above f/22 (or f/38 at the long end)

It is repairable (by replacing a solenoid), and should be covered by warranty if you bought the camera new. The K-70 is a great little camera, so I would say it is definitely worth the effort to get it fixed.
03-28-2020, 04:08 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
This looks like aperture block failure, which is a common fault in this series of camera bodies. The EXIF says f/9.0 was set, but I suspect the aperture never opened above f/22 (or f/38 at the long end)

It is repairable (by replacing a solenoid), and should be covered by warranty if you bought the camera new. The K-70 is a great little camera, so I would say it is definitely worth the effort to get it fixed.
I will have to check warranty but I bought camera two years ago although I barely used it and was hoping to spend some time with it now.
03-28-2020, 04:19 PM   #4
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
Do you have another lens to try? As Sandy said, it sounds like the dreaded aperture block, but trying another lens may confirm it. Good luck.

03-28-2020, 05:13 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is very unfortunate. If it were mine, despite the disappointment, I would get the repair done. Which lens(es) do you have to use with it?
03-28-2020, 05:15 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote

Do you know how much it would cost if solenoid needs repaired- just checked andI bought it new in late February 2018 so not sure but most likely there is no warranty now
03-28-2020, 05:18 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by seaK70 Quote
Is there a problem with aperture on Pentax K70- when I take a photo it is very dark but settings are all ok. when I se he viewfinder images are dark but when I use the screen images are brighter but blurred like the shutter is open longer?? I took it into the store I bought it at and they said it is a problem with camera body aperture and not the lens. I have had the camera for two years so no warranty but have hardly used it- Is it worth it to send it away for a repair? or better to buy a new body? and is it know that this problem is common?
My first (expensive for me) camera and am very disappointed as it has not been used much. Any advice?
Thanks
seaK70
I had mine repaired after this failure, I had 4400 shutter count when it failed. I now have 5500+ since having it repaired, disappointed that it failed but glad to have had it repaired!

Lots of posts on this failure on the forum!

Suggest you get it repaired or do it yourself, mine was not covered under warranty, the parts were $30.00 but the shipping with insurance and labor were costly. Read the thread should you decide to do it yourself.Tutorial/Repair Pentax K-70 with aperture-problem: Exchange solenoid - PentaxForums.com

03-28-2020, 05:49 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you know how much it would cost if solenoid needs repaired- just checked andI bought it new in late February 2018 so not sure but most likely there is no warranty now
Check with Pentax Canada. Assuming you purchased from an authorized dealer in Canada, you are barely out of warranty and they will very likely cover the repair for you.

As for the cause, it is hard to say whether it would be aperture control failure since your lens is stopped down at times other than during exposure. This may be caused by a damaged coupling tab in the body or a bent aperture actuator on the lens.

Steve
03-28-2020, 06:05 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Check with Pentax Canada. Assuming you purchased from an authorized dealer in Canada, you are barely out of warranty and they will very likely cover the repair for you.

As for the cause, it is hard to say whether it would be aperture control failure since your lens is stopped down at times other than during exposure. This may be caused by a damaged coupling tab in the body or a bent aperture actuator on the lens.

Steve
Thanks I will check
03-28-2020, 11:19 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Some credit card banks will add time onto the original warranty if you bought the camera using their card.
03-29-2020, 11:05 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Most likely the usual jammed solenoid, ALL symptoms point at it, and yet, a test with another lens could verify it but it seems you don't have one?

You can find out very simply by following those instructions:
How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

What you noticed by using Live-View: "but when I use the screen images are brighter but blurred like the shutter is open longer??" is also typical
because the camera cannot meter proberly in Live-View. This is because normally in LV your K-70 and many other Pentax bodies meter with f4,0
but when the solenoid is stuck it meters fully closed down. So instead of f 4.0 your Pentax meters with f32 instead. The result must be...???

Very simple logic behind, isn't it?!
03-29-2020, 03:04 PM   #12

Contact your local Pentax agent regards the repairs. I had my K-50 repaired free of charge by the Australian agent years after the warranty expired.
03-29-2020, 05:13 PM   #13

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimboombapete Quote
Contact your local Pentax agent regards the repairs. I had my K-50 repaired free of charge by the Australian agent years after the warranty expired.
Thanks for letting me know

---------- Post added 03-29-20 at 06:13 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Most likely the usual jammed solenoid, ALL symptoms point at it, and yet, a test with another lens could verify it but it seems you don't have one?

How to detect aperture-block failure/stuck solenoid on Pentax K-70 - PentaxForums.com

What you noticed by using Live-View: "but when I use the screen images are brighter but blurred like the shutter is open longer??" is also typical
because the camera cannot meter proberly in Live-View. This is because normally in LV your K-70 and many other Pentax bodies meter with f4,0
but when the solenoid is stuck it meters fully closed down. So instead of f 4.0 your Pentax meters with f32 instead. The result must be...???

thanks

---------- Post added 03-29-20 at 06:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote

Thanks

---------- Post added 03-29-20 at 06:14 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
Some credit card banks will add time onto the original warranty if you bought the camera using their card.
thanks I will look into that
04-01-2020, 01:59 AM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

And let us know!
Both, how you solved it and what you found out by applying the suggested methods