Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 15 Likes Search this Thread
04-04-2020, 07:38 AM   #46
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A beanbag (improvised or purchased) is also a great alternative if you don't have room for a tripod.

It looks like you are finding improvements already but I found this tutorial to be short and informative

04-04-2020, 11:12 AM   #47

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Looking much better already Jenny. You can improve further with a bit of contrast boost/exposure boost and sharpening in software...... The difference is subtle but real.....have a look here :
Looking much better already Jenny. You can improve further with a bit of contrast boost/exposure boost and sharpening in software...... The difference is subtle but real.....have a look here :
Thank you, I do use the contrast/exposure thingy, but have never used the sharpen. Can you tell exactly what you did so I can try it myself.
04-04-2020, 12:54 PM   #48
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What editing software are you using? A feature to add sharpening is common.

If you shoot JPEG images you can also increase sharpening levels in the Custom Image menus of the camera (a Pentax feature the K-5 has) as well as also implementing "Fine Sharpening" which is recommended.

With my K-5, I set up the Custom Image menu in the "Bright" category with the Sharpening level up by one more notch. In this category, the default is already up by one. Then I add the "Fine Sharpening" using the rear thumb dial.

Last edited by mikesbike; 04-04-2020 at 01:08 PM.
04-04-2020, 03:07 PM   #49
Loyal Site Supporter

Nice work, both of you.

04-04-2020, 05:55 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by JennyPat Quote
Thank you, I do use the contrast/exposure thingy, but have never used the sharpen. Can you tell exactly what you did so I can try it myself.
I use Photoshop, and the "Unsharp Mask" sharpening tool with settings of:

Amount 161%
Radius 0.60
Threshold 1.0

But any software will have sharpening tools of some sort. The key is to experiment so you don't over-sharpen.
04-04-2020, 06:50 PM   #51

Original Poster
I use Photoshop, and the "Unsharp Mask" sharpening tool with settings of:

Amount 161%
Radius 0.60
Threshold 1.0

But any software will have sharpening tools of some sort. The key is to experiment so you don't over-sharpen.
I use Photoshop elements, so I should have that option. I will look into it........thank you!
04-05-2020, 01:11 AM   #52
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I use Photoshop elements, so I should have that option. I will look into it........thank you!
I used to use PSE and that has the USM tool. The amount of 161% is quite a high number. I usually dont go higher than 50% with my K1 files, and on my old K10D rarely above 90. With your image it seemed to need higher, so you just need to experiment. If you google Unsharp Mask there will be lots of resources.

04-05-2020, 08:25 PM   #53
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Even my old first version PSE 1 has this feature. So no doubt it is there.
04-20-2020, 07:18 PM - 1 Like   #54

Original Poster
Thank you, website is finished

I am new to my Pentax K-5, a few weeks ago I asked a number of questions about taking product images of small items. I received a number of great answers and finally finished my website. Yes I have a lot more to learn, and that will come with more practice. If you are interested in viewing the final result here is the link: Quilted in Clay Polymer Clay Jewelry | Jennifer Patterson Designs

Again THANK YOU ALL!!
Jenny P
04-20-2020, 07:50 PM   #55
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Glad it all worked out Jenny. The website looks nice. Good job with the photography

I have taken the liberty of merging your new thread with this old one to give it context.
04-20-2020, 07:56 PM   #56
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Website looks good. Good luck in the jewelry business!
04-20-2020, 10:15 PM   #57

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Sandy Hancock Quote
Glad it all worked out Jenny. The website looks nice. Good job with the photography

I have taken the liberty of merging your new thread with this old one to give it context.
Thank you!
04-20-2020, 10:29 PM   #58
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

You've done well Jenny! Looks great. I see a quilting flavour. My wife would like that - she's a quilter.
04-21-2020, 09:51 PM   #59
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Again THANK YOU ALL!!
Jenny P
Website looks really good.

Happy to help and good luck with both your website and photography.
04-22-2020, 04:08 AM   #60
Unregistered User

the eyes are the best focussing tool. Forget focus peaking
I felt the same way, thirty years ago.