Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 14 Likes Search this Thread
04-06-2020, 10:52 AM - 2 Likes   #16
Master of the obvious
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Bikertone7 Quote
Two pics attached and would be really grateful for comments on the quality and if they could be improved. Don't want to use any additional software to correct just want to take decent pics.
Good to see that you have found settings that do what you want, and I totally understand your wish of getting the image right without editing. However, it is still well worth getting a basic knowledge of some kind of editing software. I took the liberty to do some very quick adjustments on your images in Faststone Image Viewer (a free and very basic editor for Windows). I hope you don't mind. All I did was to clone away the dust spots and increase the contrast a bit, as well as adding a bit of sharpening in the last one. It took no more than a minute (and would have been quicker with a program I'm more familiar with).

Happy shooting!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K110D  Photo 
04-06-2020, 01:24 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yep, I was about to suggest the sharpness setting. If that camera model also has a "Fine Sharpness" setting in addition to the sharpness level, it will provide even a bit more detail. That is implemented with the rear thumb dial- but that feature might be lacking on a camera model that old.

Your photos now look pretty good for an old 6mp camera!
04-06-2020, 01:43 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Good suggestions so far, and much better photos with the 50mm. I owned the very similar K100D, and on that camera the AE-L button served as the "green button" for stopdown metering on fully manual lenses.

I also have the F35-80 lens, and it's not the sharpest, but quite usable. I like it when going after a certain "look". Here's a couple winter dogwalk shots with a K10D:

Last edited by paulh; 04-06-2020 at 04:23 PM.
04-06-2020, 03:12 PM   #19
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for replies folks much appreciated. I've tried to alter the sharpness and contrast settings but cant figure out how to. The options are shaded in grey and won't allow me to make changes.
Get out of Auto for starters. It limits what you can adjust in the camera. "P" is a similar and better alternative.

Also, shoot with PEF or DNG (not JPG) files, and get that software you don't want to use. I have been using Photoshop Elements for years. The simple stuff is...simple. It has a few modes from beginner to expert. Much online help.
Currently, if you don't do anything after pressing the shutter, you will have live with it Upgrading to a used K5 or newer body would be useful as well.

Last edited by SpecialK; 04-09-2020 at 02:49 PM.
04-06-2020, 11:37 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd recommend using a blower to try cleaning the sensor first before touching the sensor. That has always seemed like a good way to seriously mess up a camera if you get it wrong.
04-07-2020, 03:54 AM   #21
Pentaxian

Disappointing photos on a K110D Comments appreciated
Geee , that's one of the earliest digital SLR model from 14 years ago. There has been quite a lot of improvements in digital imaging for the last 14 years, including DSLR models much better than the K110D and not much more expensive. I'd not even bother with a K110, if I had a small budget I'd get a used model, K5, K-S2, K70, K3 , Kp or any of those Pentax models released in the last 5 years. Or even a micro 4/3 mirrorless or one of those low cost Fuji X models will deliver much better image than the K110D.

Last edited by biz-engineer; 04-07-2020 at 03:59 AM.
04-07-2020, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #22
Veteran Member

The price of a used kp is not at all comparable to the k110.

04-07-2020, 02:50 PM - 4 Likes   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Drop by the Six Megapixel Club to have a look at some of the "awful" photos these old cameras are capable of.
The Six-Megapixel Club - PentaxForums.com
04-07-2020, 05:15 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I have used the k100d a few times over the last week. It is fine. Although I forgot how loud the shutter is
04-08-2020, 02:16 AM - 1 Like   #25
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Geee , that's one of the earliest digital SLR model from 14 years ago. There has been quite a lot of improvements in digital imaging for the last 14 years, including DSLR models much better than the K110D and not much more expensive. I'd not even bother with a K110, if I had a small budget I'd get a used model, K5, K-S2, K70, K3 , Kp or any of those Pentax models released in the last 5 years. Or even a micro 4/3 mirrorless or one of those low cost Fuji X models will deliver much better image than the K110D.
I'd agree that the later models you mention benefit from significant improvements - but if ISO is kept down to reasonable levels (say ISO 400 and below) and final reproduction size is relatively modest, 6MP CCD-sensor bodies such as the K110D are capable of excellent results. There's a good number of folks in these forums that choose to shoot them - myself included (though I'm an even bigger fan of the 10MP bodies... these days, I shoot them more than my K-3).
04-08-2020, 08:58 AM   #26

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by savoche Quote
Good to see that you have found settings that do what you want, and I totally understand your wish of getting the image right without editing. However, it is still well worth getting a basic knowledge of some kind of editing software. I took the liberty to do some very quick adjustments on your images in Faststone Image Viewer (a free and very basic editor for Windows). I hope you don't mind. All I did was to clone away the dust spots and increase the contrast a bit, as well as adding a bit of sharpening in the last one. It took no more than a minute (and would have been quicker with a program I'm more familiar with).

Happy shooting!
Thanks for that. I'm going to go back to the castle and reshoot the same pic with my sharpened setting to compare with yours and my original. Cheers

---------- Post added 04-08-20 at 09:00 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by biz-engineer Quote
Cost me £45!! :-)
04-08-2020, 09:03 AM   #27
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

ost me £45!! :-)
That's a bargain for the fun you're going to have with it. It's every inch a "proper" DSLR. The resolution and higher ISO performance are really the only significant limiting factors, and depending on your use-cases, they needn't be problematic.

Enjoy!
04-08-2020, 09:58 AM   #28
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Doh! just tried to upload another post but it disappeared hope this doesn't duplicate:

Altered the sharpness and been for a walk to take some more pics. Changed the lens to a SMC Pentax-A 1:2 50mm and took pics on mostly the P setting plus the AV. What a difference! What do you guys think?? When using auto does it remember the changed sharpness setting or does it override it? I'm definitely getting there with it now thanks to you guys. Delighted with the ones I've taken.
Wow! What an improvement. Nice job.
04-09-2020, 01:37 AM   #29
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I'd agree that the later models you mention benefit from significant improvements - but if ISO is kept down to reasonable levels (say ISO 400 and below) and final reproduction size is relatively modest, 6MP CCD-sensor bodies such as the K110D are capable of excellent results. There's a good number of folks in these forums that choose to shoot them - myself included (though I'm an even bigger fan of the 10MP bodies... these days, I shoot them more than my K-3).
See with such perspective, yes, Ok. It looks like I didn't make myself understandable.

Here is what I meant: => as a user you always have the choice between spending time / effort trying for improve or fix an old camera system or spending money to get a newer system with the issues already fixed for you.

---------- Post added 09-04-20 at 10:39 ----------

Cost me £45!! :-)
Sometimes we get what we pay for, sometimes not , it depends..
04-09-2020, 02:32 PM   #30

Original Poster
One question I forgot to ask was when using the P , AV TV or other settings with auto focus lenses do I have to set the focus button from AF to MF? Cheers