Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
04-08-2020, 05:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Lens with no aperture ring on mirrorless camera

Hi, I try my lovely DA 15mm f4 on a a7iii via an adapter, the problem is DA 15 doesn't have an aperture ring so the lens is always at smallest aperture (close all the way down). Anyone has the same issue and know how to fix it, I want to shoot it wide open (f4) !
Thanks a lot !

04-08-2020, 05:27 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is there an adapter that gives you aperture control?
04-08-2020, 05:41 AM - 1 Like   #3
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
Hi, I try my lovely DA 15mm f4 on a a7iii via an adapter, the problem is DA 15 doesn't have an aperture ring so the lens is always at smallest aperture (close all the way down). Anyone has the same issue and know how to fix it, I want to shoot it wide open (f4) !
Thanks a lot !
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
is there an adapter that gives you aperture control?
Fotodiox and several other manufacturers make adapters with a rudimentary rotary control for opening and closing the diaphragm. It's not possible to judge the precise aperture setting, though you can estimate it by looking at the required change in other exposure settings (shutter speed and/or ISO)...
04-08-2020, 06:00 AM - 1 Like   #4
Pentaxian

Use Novoflex adapter.

04-08-2020, 06:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
the problem is the lens is closed all the way down already, will the adapter will make it open again ?
04-08-2020, 06:53 AM - 1 Like   #6
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by redcat Quote
the problem is the lens is closed all the way down already, will the adapter will make it open again ?
Yes, it will

I believe the one I own is by Fotodiox, and it works well. K&F also do one very similar, and that's probably the one I'd buy now if I wanted a budget model, as I've been impressed with K&F's other products. They're good quality at modest prices.

As @zapp mentions, the best one is by Novoflex, but you pay a big premium for the quality and brand.
04-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Yes, it will

I believe the one I own is by Fotodiox, and it works well. K&F also do one very similar, and that's probably the one I'd buy now if I wanted a budget model, as I've been impressed with K&F's other products. They're good quality at modest prices.

As @zapp mentions, the best one is by Novoflex, but you pay a big premium for the quality and brand.
thanks a lot !!!

04-08-2020, 06:57 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Turning the knurled blue ring on the Novoflex adapter will open and close the aperture from fully closed to fully open.

As mentioned above, there are no "click" stops so it is a guess as to what the actual aperture might be.

Just to be sure, the DA 50mm was mounted on a Sony a7ii using the Novoflex NEX/PENT adapter. There are markings for closed and open with a range in between.
04-08-2020, 07:47 AM - 1 Like   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Probably nothing you don't already know, but here is some more information with the DA 15mm mounted on a Sony a7ii using the Novoflex adapter:
  • The DA 15mm mounted on the Novoflex adapter on a Sony a7II will not automatically recognize the lens as APS-C and will remain in full frame if the default APS-C Size Capture setting is "Auto".
  • On the Sony a7II, the APS-C Size Capture setting is in menu GEAR->5->APS-C Size Capture [options On, Auto, Off]. On the Sony a7iii it may be in a different place.
  • In full frame, the image size is 6000x4000 pixels [24.00MP] and requires manual cropping.
  • In crop mode, the image size is 3936x2624 pixels [10.33MP] and does not require manual cropping.

Sample photos are attached (resized accordingly to longest side 1024 pixels) showing nothing more than the crop required in full frame. Both photos taken of a gray sky without regard to settings. The second image (APS-C) was hardly worth posting.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
ILCE-7M2  Photo 
04-08-2020, 11:01 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Original Poster
thanks a lot jbrill, I'll use it as a 24mm (it's still wide enough)