Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2020, 06:56 AM   #1
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 8
K3ii wake up

Hello everyone. I'm not sure how to explain this but I am having an issue with my K3ii. I have been using a third party wired release though now also have an OEM release, though the issue occurs without it. The thing I have going on is that after a period of time I can't fully depress the shutter button or the wired release button without having to activate it a second time to take a shot. It's as it seem that the camera 'goes to sleep' and needs to be woken up. I have reset the menus, tried all wired remotes and body shutters, cleaned lens and, body contacts and tried various lenses ( I use Sigma and Pentax). It happens whether a lens is attached or not and regardless of the lens attached. I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask the brains trusts within the group. I will attach a video showing what I mean. The first body is the K3ii and the second is the K5. The K5 was OK though now seems to do the same thing. It's ok until the bodies go into standby mode. You can see the K3ii gets 'woken up' (top LCD lights up) then the second press takes the shot whereas the K5 the shot is taken without delay. I hope it makes sense. TIA

Attached Files
File Type: avi K5K3 shutter.avi (2.18 MB, 31 views)
04-09-2020, 07:03 AM   #2
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,535
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob'O Quote
It's as it seem that the camera 'goes to sleep' and needs to be woken up.
That's exactly it!

You should be able to find in the menu "Auto Power Off"*, then change that to a time you're happy with, or just completely off altogether.

*looks like the third page of the setup (spanner) section
04-09-2020, 08:17 AM   #3
Unregistered User
Guest




QuoteOriginally posted by Rob'O Quote
Hello everyone. I'm not sure how to explain this but I am having an issue with my K3ii. I have been using a third party wired release though now also have an OEM release, though the issue occurs without it. The thing I have going on is that after a period of time I can't fully depress the shutter button or the wired release button without having to activate it a second time to take a shot. It's as it seem that the camera 'goes to sleep' and needs to be woken up. I have reset the menus, tried all wired remotes and body shutters, cleaned lens and, body contacts and tried various lenses ( I use Sigma and Pentax). It happens whether a lens is attached or not and regardless of the lens attached. I know it's a long shot but I thought I'd ask the brains trusts within the group. I will attach a video showing what I mean. The first body is the K3ii and the second is the K5. The K5 was OK though now seems to do the same thing. It's ok until the bodies go into standby mode. You can see the K3ii gets 'woken up' (top LCD lights up) then the second press takes the shot whereas the K5 the shot is taken without delay. I hope it makes sense. TIA
From the short AVI I notice that the camera is not asleep. Before you push the button I see an F number and I see the ISO on the top LCD. It is definitely on, only the backlight is off. You push the button and then the backlight of the LCD goes on. If the camera was asleep, you would only see an empty lcd monitor with just some lines. The camera is in stand-by that is why the top lcd backlight is switched off. If it is in standby and you push the exposure button, the lightmeter and AF turns on and on the camera you have to push the button further down to expose. It seems that your wired release does it in exactly the same way as the camera does. First it switches the lightmeter and AF on and then you push further or again to expose. And you'll notice it works exactly the same on both camera's. It is not a camera problem, the problem is that you pause taking pictures and the camera switches to standby. I think that auto switch off is set to a long time or off.
04-09-2020, 08:29 AM   #4
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Posts: 13,535
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
That's exactly it!

You should be able to find in the menu "Auto Power Off"*, then change that to a time you're happy with, or just completely off altogether.

*looks like the third page of the setup (spanner) section


QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
From the short AVI I notice that the camera is not asleep. Before you push the button I see an F number and I see the ISO on the top LCD. It is definitely on, only the backlight is off. You push the button and then the backlight of the LCD goes on. If the camera was asleep, you would only see an empty lcd monitor with just some lines. The camera is in stand-by that is why the top lcd backlight is switched off. If it is in standby and you push the exposure button, the lightmeter and AF turns on and on the camera you have to push the button further down to expose. It seems that your wired release does it in exactly the same way as the camera does. First it switches the lightmeter and AF on and then you push further or again to expose. And you'll notice it works exactly the same on both camera's. It is not a camera problem, the problem is that you pause taking pictures and the camera switches to standby. I think that auto switch off is set to a long time or off.
Oops, I didn't watch the video.

In that case, the Meter Operating Time (under the first page of the Custom (C) menus) may be a setting you're interested in changing...

04-09-2020, 08:55 AM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,780
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob'O Quote
The thing I have going on is that after a period of time I can't fully depress the shutter button or the wired release button without having to activate it a second time to take a shot.
Well, that is strange. What drive mode are you in? Would it be Mirror Lock-up by any chance?

Edit: Wrong question...I cannot reproduce this problem and give up. The camera is in standby mode and should wake up and release the shutter on full press. Just to clarify...this happens even when the remote is not plugged in?


Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-09-2020 at 09:26 AM.
04-09-2020, 08:33 PM - 1 Like   #6
New Member




Join Date: Jan 2020
Posts: 8
Original Poster
Thanks everyone. I have taken onboard the comments and advice and would like to report back. I have now increased the metering time to 30 sec, the auto power off is set to 30 min. Using the Pentax remote shutter I can achieve times of up to half minute delay from the previous exposure without issue, for now. However, with the non-gen third party remote is the opposite, it requires two full presses to take the shot, even after the LCD backlight turns out after about 5 sec. Think I will be sticking to the genuine remote.
04-09-2020, 09:05 PM   #7
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Moderator
Loyal Site Supporter
pjv's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2015
Location: Melbourne, Australia
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 7,384
Hi Rob, good to hear your issue might be sorted out. I have been watching with interest.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob'O Quote
with the non-gen third party remote is the opposite, it requires two full presses to take the shot,
What we save in $ with many third party accessories, we often lose some functionality that the OEM gives as standard.
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob'O Quote
Think I will be sticking to the genuine remote.
Excellent choice.
04-10-2020, 11:12 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter
stevebrot's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Vancouver (USA)
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 38,780
QuoteOriginally posted by Rob'O Quote
However, with the non-gen third party remote is the opposite, it requires two full presses to take the shot, even after the LCD backlight turns out after about 5 sec. Think I will be sticking to the genuine remote.
Good to see that you found the source of the problem. Lack of consistent half-press support is not a problem with my third-party remote, but I can see how it might be. FWIW, my Bower RCLC1R will even send a half-press for wakeup when used as an intervalometer. Yes, I am fond of it.


Steve

Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
body, button, camera, k3, k3ii, k3ii wake, k5, lens, pentax help, photography, release, shot, shutter, sleep, time, troubleshooting, wake up
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Delayed, noisy wake up mahanpots Pentax KP 12 03-18-2020 06:00 AM
Nature Wake Up Call Kerrowdown Post Your Photos! 37 12-12-2019 12:21 AM
Cactus RF60x Wake Up? BruceBanner Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 29 07-13-2019 07:52 AM
Wake up call gump Monthly Photo Contests 4 12-14-2018 02:19 PM
People Wake Up Jeffrey! Rupert Post Your Photos! 5 11-27-2011 06:52 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:45 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top