Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-09-2020, 07:31 PM   #1

Pentax K-70 reverser ring + da 1:2.4 35mm AL

I'm testing out a reverser ring with my pentax-da 1:2.4 35mm AL.

Obviously I can't focus it manually but planned to get a reverser ring for my k-1000 vintage asahi Pentax 1:2 55mm./ Which offers manual focus.

I figured out how to finger the aperture lever to open up for light and some DOF control, but all the images, whether raw or jpg, are recording black on memory card.

I have input focal length turned on and correct # input, etc. Can't find other relevant menu items...help?

04-09-2020, 07:51 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
are you using live view or viewfinder, and do you see anything on the screen or in the viewfinder? I'm not sure you can reverse a DA lens.
04-10-2020, 09:03 AM   #3

You probably have to enable use aperture ring in setup and shoot in Manual mode. Are you holding the aperture lever in position when taking the exposure?

Are you stacking the lenses with a filter to filter reversing ring or using the K-mount to filter adapter?
04-10-2020, 09:21 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
are you using live view or viewfinder, and do you see anything on the screen or in the viewfinder? I'm not sure you can reverse a DA lens.
Liveview because no viewfinder image, which freaked me out. Did finger aperture so I could see something on live view.

Seems you might be right then about not being able to reverse DA lens.

Will probably waste another $6 to buy the reverser ring for the appropriate size to test the full manual k1000 lens (asahi Pentax), probably bodes better.

Using just this at the moment and would buy same thing in 58mm filter size for asahi Pentax lens:
FotodioX 49mm Reverse Mount Macro Adapter REVERSE-MOUNT-49MM-PK

04-11-2020, 07:22 AM   #5

It could be because the Fotodiox adapter has a non-conductive coating. The OEM Asahi Pentax adapter is bare metal. Try shorting out the pins on the camera mount with some metal foil between the adapter and camera mount. If this works, remove the coating on the adapter over the pins.
04-11-2020, 11:25 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I made this years ago for manual lenses and it works with my DA's (sorry for the lousy pic)
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
04-21-2020, 01:26 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
It could be because the Fotodiox adapter has a non-conductive coating. The OEM Asahi Pentax adapter is bare metal. Try shorting out the pins on the camera mount with some metal foil between the adapter and camera mount. If this works, remove the coating on the adapter over the pins.
That did it! I just finally got a chance to test this and a piece of foil works just fine. I'll have to experiment with a way to remove the coating, it's very hard. But the foil stays in place.

Still no way to focus the DA, and have to finger the aperture manually which is rough considering I need to use pretty slow shutter for this application. I'll drag out my tripod next. Any recommendation for controller rings for the aperture?

I'll buy the fotodiox 52mm adapter for my asahi pentax 55mm f/2 since it has a focus ring, unless when you say OEM adapter do you mean pentax makes reversing rings themselves?

here's a couple quick tests. Definitely magnified!