Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
04-10-2020, 06:03 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Problem with K-7 images showing up flat on rear screen, but not when downloaded.

A couple of days ago I was out shooting over at my neighbor's Tulip garden and noticed that after every shot, the image was flat and underexposed in the rear screen.

Normally, I just Format the card and move on, but this time I decided to download the images onto my computer and the images looked pretty good compared to what was

revealed in the rear screen. Okay, working with bright, harsh sunlight with my K-7 and Pentax-FA 1:4~5.6 80~320mm lens.

It is clear by the actual image, that it is far from being flat and underexposed. I am wondering if there may be a problem with the K-7's low dynamic range?

Thanks very much for viewing.

Tony

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 

Last edited by Tonytee; 04-13-2020 at 08:42 PM.
04-10-2020, 07:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

What you're describing is clearly a screen display issue (perhaps in bright sunlight?) and not a problem with the camera's "dynamic range".
04-10-2020, 07:46 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
What you're describing is clearly a screen display issue (perhaps in bright sunlight?) and not a problem with the camera's "dynamic range".

Thanks Mark. That is what I thought initially, however I did cover the screen and it still appeared to be flat and underexposed. I will try again soon and see what happens.

TT
04-10-2020, 07:55 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Tonytee Quote
Thanks Mark. That is what I thought initially, however I did cover the screen and it still appeared to be flat and underexposed. I will try again soon and see what happens.

TT
Truth be told Tony, I've never cared for a moment what the screen on the back of the camera shows. It's useful for chimping, but not much else. (Not that I admit to chimping - Quite the contrary!)

04-10-2020, 08:01 PM - 2 Likes   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I only review images on the rear screen just to check the histograms. It's really not big enough for me to see any detail.
04-10-2020, 09:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

There's a brightness setting for the screen (my K20D had it so I'm certain the K7 does as well). It must be set low, at least it's worth checking.
04-10-2020, 10:30 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ChristianRock Quote
There's a brightness setting for the screen (my K20D had it so I'm certain the K7 does as well). It must be set low, at least it's worth checking.
I would bet this is the problem. I often forget to turn it back up after doing astro when I have it turned all the way down and shifted red so the next day the first time I want to check something I always have to reset it. Now I wonder if it is possiable to have screen settings and astro tracer be a user mode on the K-3 or K-3ii.

04-10-2020, 10:46 PM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Okay, here is an image taken this evening. This is some fabric my wife works with. Same body, lens and UV Filter, only difference I had to use the built-in flash. Seems to be

alright at this point. No PPE on this image. So I believe the problem is I was viewing the screen with the sun directly over my left shoulder and a red flower for a subject.

I'll try it again tomorrow and see what transpires.

Thanks very much for everything.

TT
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
04-11-2020, 01:55 AM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by DWS1 Quote
I only review images on the rear screen just to check the histograms. It's really not big enough for me to see any detail.
I too look at the histogram in instant review or playback to see if I have exposed correctly. Anything else gets dealt with in PP

I do also use the screen to check if I have the focus correct in my image. My camera is set up so one click of the rear dial gives me 100% zoom.
04-11-2020, 07:46 AM - 1 Like   #10
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Truth be told Tony, I've never cared for a moment what the screen on the back of the camera shows. It's useful for chimping, but not much else. (Not that I admit to chimping - Quite the contrary!)
This ^ ^ ^

Steve
04-11-2020, 02:19 PM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This ^ ^ ^

Steve

A very interesting comment. I do rely (perhaps too much) on the results I view on the rear screen. The results on the screen reveals to me the sharpness, exposure and composition. Then I just make my adjustments based on the info. Sure, I can and do use bracketing to some extent, although not as much as I had to when shooting film.

At least with Digital, bracketing does not result in a waste of money that was spent on film. To each his own as they say and viewing the screen works very well for me.

Thanks again for all the valued comments and assistance.

TT
04-12-2020, 02:05 AM   #12

Photos: Gallery
I have this lens, and it is great for something so cheap! I use it with my Pentax ZX-7 and *ist DL cameras. As to the K-7, just get a new one they are cheap on keh.com.
04-13-2020, 08:56 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Greetings again,

As I mentioned I would take a few more shots and see what happens. This time I used my K-7 with a different (non-Pentax) Lens and shooting my neighbor's very red Tulips, I noticed that the images showed

up flat and underexposed. (By the way, no sunlight as it was past 7:30pm.) I downloaded the images to my computer and they showed up very nice. Sharp, perfect coloring and needless to say I was a happy camper. Now I went ahead continuing to shoot but decided to change colors to the Yellow and Orange Tulips and they looked to be fantastic on the rear screen and in my computer. Logic tells me there is a problem

with the reds displaying their true colors in the rear screen. I did contact the camera sales/service center and they will not be officially open until June 15th, provided everything goes according

to Hoyle. ( Thanks for reading, Tony