Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 04:53 AM   #1

Shutter help Asahi Pentax S3

Hi there,

I have recently discovered my late grandfather's camera collection which contained an ASAHI PENTAX S3. When I found the collection there was still a roll of film inside with a few shots left. I used the shots left and had the film developed. These shots were grainy as expected. At this stage, the camera seemed to be working well.

A few weeks later I tried to load a new roll of film and the winding mechanism/take-up spool was stiff. Over time with attempts, this loosened. Now the shutter curtain will not release smoothly either. After pressing the shutter release the curtain remains still only after another press does it slide partially closed. For the curtain to close fully I must tap the shutter button repeatedly.

I've consulted some online tutorials and I came to the conclusion that some watch oil might help to solve my problem. I have lightly oiled the cogs on the right-hand side. The cogs move more effectively and much smoother however not perfect. While doing this I did notice that the cogs on the left do not move at all. It seems this side might be more delicate as there are some electrical circuits. I have dropped a small amount of oil on the few cogs that are in this area as they were very stiff.

This might have solved the problem I will know more in the coming days once the oil has had time to work. If this does not solve the issue, which other solutions might there be? I feel as though the camera would benefit from a good clean and service (although the camera itself isn't worth much it is a bit of an heirloom).
Is this something I can do myself or is there quite a risk? Are there any recommended shops/experts I might be able to trust the camera with?

I live just outside of North East London on the cusp of Essex and Hertfordshire.

Thank you in advance.

04-11-2020, 07:07 AM   #2
Pentaxian

it seems that 'working out' the debris (dust. old lube, etc) will be the wait game.....I have used rosonol (lighter fluid) sparingly as it evaporates to get things moving and then sewing oil (which is prolly the same as watch) if need be…...clean consistent movement of it being exercised keeps them happy.....as far as a shop I am of even less help
good luck!
04-11-2020, 09:08 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thank you Aaron, what do you think about taking the top piece off and cleaning in there?
04-11-2020, 10:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by danieltrmilner Quote
Thank you Aaron, what do you think about taking the top piece off and cleaning in there?
it would be tedious work and a lot of pieces (I don't have one) but the winder/counter may prove quite difficult.....you may benefit on waiting the couple day period and see it 'works out' before tackling such.....it would depend highly on your level of confidence doing so....the only top I have removed is to a yashica electro-ax which does not work properly so it was no loss if I screwed up.....made zero progress other than 'successful dismantle and reassembly'