Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
04-11-2020, 08:10 AM   #1

double image

Hi you all, I have a 645Z and once in a while I get an image that appears as if it was double exposed, very strange. I'm attaching a photo so you can see. Any ideas, suggestions, etc... This happens with any lens by the way. Thank you for the help in advance.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX 645Z  Photo 
04-11-2020, 08:58 AM   #2

Perhaps the Shake Reduction mechanism is failing?
04-11-2020, 09:47 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Whoa! That'a really weird artifact.

It looks like the blue channel data is being misplaced relative to the green and red (= yellow) channels.

If this artifact is visible in the digital review image right after the shot, the problem is probably in the camera.

If this artifact is only visible after saving and recalling an image on the camera, then it might be a problem in your memory card.

If this artifact is only visible on your computer (not on the camera's display), then it might be a problem is in your software.

Exactly when and where does the image show with artifact?
04-11-2020, 11:56 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the feedback and yes, this is visible in the digital review right after the shot. This has happened about two or three times and it's been when I've had live view on. Very strange and I don't know what could be causing this. I bought this camera used from the original owner, he took care of his stuff like mint and this camera has very few actuations, it's in mint condition. Anyway, regarding shake, it's mounted on a tripod so the shake has been turned off.

---------- Post added 04-11-20 at 11:58 AM ----------

FYI, I'm shooting simultaneously to two cards, both are fast and brand new, the image is on both cards.

04-11-2020, 02:04 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by macd Quote
it's been when I've had live view on.
Electronic shutter?

Steve
04-11-2020, 10:14 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you for the feedback and yes, this is visible in the digital review right after the shot. This has happened about two or three times and it's been when I've had live view on. Very strange and I don't know what could be causing this. I bought this camera used from the original owner, he took care of his stuff like mint and this camera has very few actuations, it's in mint condition. Anyway, regarding shake, it's mounted on a tripod so the shake has been turned off.
Could the SR be malfunctioning even when disabled? What's the shutter speed?
04-12-2020, 01:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
Flash set up with shutter at 125th at F11

04-12-2020, 06:35 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Could the SR be malfunctioning even when disabled? What's the shutter speed?
No in-body SR on 645Z. EXIF says shutter was 1/125s.

Steve
04-12-2020, 07:07 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Flash set up with shutter at 125th at F11
Could you describe your lighting setup? (Grasping at straws here...)

Steve
04-12-2020, 07:19 PM   #10

Original Poster
Hi Stevebrot, simple setup, studio setup with one large Octobox with a Godox AD600. I have to use a cable release because I'm photographing animals so the camera is about six feed away, flash above. Shutter at 1/125s, f11 aperture and ISO 100. Shooting with two cards and camera is writing to both of them, both are Lexmarks 150s 64GB cards.
04-12-2020, 08:38 PM   #11
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Hi Stevebrot, simple setup, studio setup with one large Octobox with a Godox AD600. I have to use a cable release because I'm photographing animals so the camera is about six feed away, flash above. Shutter at 1/125s, f11 aperture and ISO 100. Shooting with two cards and camera is writing to both of them, both are Lexmarks 150s 64GB cards.
How is the AD600 triggered?

Steve
04-13-2020, 02:57 AM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
No in-body SR on 645Z. EXIF says shutter was 1/125s.

Steve
I thought so but there was a post - now deleted - that seemed to suggest otherwise. Silly of me to not verify.
04-13-2020, 03:02 AM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Does this happen in natural light outdoors or is this limited to the correct lightning setup?
04-13-2020, 05:19 AM - 1 Like   #14

Original Poster
SteveBrot, it's remotely triggered by the Goddox remote. FYI, I'm responding to UngleVanya's post in a separate post but this has also happened in natural light so I don't think it's strobe specific.

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 05:19 AM ----------

UncleVanya, yes this has happened in natural light as well so I don't think it's strobe specific.
04-13-2020, 07:43 AM   #15
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

SteveBrot, it's remotely triggered by the Goddox remote. FYI, I'm responding to UngleVanya's post in a separate post but this has also happened in natural light so I don't think it's strobe specific.

---------- Post added 04-13-20 at 05:19 AM ----------

UncleVanya, yes this has happened in natural light as well so I don't think it's strobe specific.
Well...as noted in an earlier comment, there is an apparent displacement of the color channels in the camera's working memory. Since there are no obvious exposure time causes (e.g. camera motion wjth light-source phasing) and the same image was written to both cards, the culprit is likely an issue with internal processing. A service facility may be able to do a diagnostic to determine the module at fault.

Out of curiosity, is the red stripe across the top a feature of all the bad frames?

Steve