Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
04-15-2020, 04:20 PM   #1

Pentax k1000 light meter problems

I've been using this camera for about a month now and for some reason the dial in the light meter is stuck in the middle. It doesn't move at all, even when I take the battery out. I've tried replacing the battery and nothing changes. Is the battery compartment look corroded? If so, how do I clean it? Thanks

04-15-2020, 04:26 PM   #2

Original Poster
Here is the battery chamber.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
IPhone XS  Photo 
04-15-2020, 11:32 PM - 1 Like   #3
Veteran Member

The chamber looks clean but the cap looks like it has some mild corrosion on the photo. I would take a small screwdriver and gently scrape the cap and see if that is a salty like corrosion. If so a gentle rub and polish with a fine emery cloth. Be careful here as you could damage the insert with the plus symbol so you need to be cafeful. I would suggest soaking the cap in vinegar but I dont know if that plus symbol is a transfer which would be lost.

If its not the battery chamber or cap at fault it could be the meter is stuck. Decaying foam inside could have caused the meter to stick. The meter itself could have just failed of course. To check if the meter needle is just plain lld stuck you would have to get the top lid off and take the prism out. Thats not incredibly hard but there are some tricks to doing it.

I have read that sometimes the meter can be rebooted by rigging up a standard AA battery to provide power by soldering some leads to an AA and applying the leads to the camera terminals for a quick touch but I cant testify to that.

I would clean the cap and also clean the battery. A small bit of grease from your hands can sometime be enough to stop these working so give the battery a polish off with a soft cloth.
04-16-2020, 12:51 AM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery
Hi,

One of the common problems with K1000 light meter is the failure of the solder point on the battery compartment. Once you unscrew the bottom/base plate you can get easy access to the baterry harness and see if that is the problem indeed.

A similar threads were posted a couple of years ago:
K1000 Light Meter - PentaxForums.com
Pentax K-1000 build-in lightmeter trouble - PentaxForums.com

Hope that helps,
Wojciech