Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 63 Likes Search this Thread
04-18-2020, 03:47 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess size/weight is also something of a very subjectiv/personal feel and for this it is always good to have a camera in one's hands.
And yet, as much as I love my KP, I never got fully used to its ergonomics compared to the K5-series or K30/50!

Nevertheless:

For traveling I hardly took my K3 (and later K3II) with me but prefered the K5IIs.
The K5IIs and K3II where replaced by the KP because I do a lot of low light long handheld exposure but I still have my heavely used almost impossible to sell (and yet perfectly working!) K5II and K5, K5 with Katzeye focusing screen which I exchange sometimes for another one by focusing screen com based on a Canon screen for my SMC A 50/1,2, SMC-A50/1,4 and 8-element Takumar 50/1,4 and a few other 50's.
So now for travelling I have a choice, the KP is just a great camera.
But I admit, sometimes I miss the 3.2" display of the K3!

And of course I always have a K-30 at hand, after all those solenoid advantures a must!

04-18-2020, 04:39 AM   #17
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Big difference between those three:
K1 very heavy
K3 heavy
K5 medium but wonderful handling, best handling imo of every Pentax.

But if one has very small hands, then one can consider:
K-S1 (the smallest Pentax DSLR ever, kind of masterpiece for APS-C and KAF-mount allowing all those old lenses)
Next come K-S2 and K-70
I would these days buy the K-70 because it is not that much more expensive than the K-S2
But sadly both as well as the K-S1 suffer at times from the failing solenoid (see threads I started for tutorials how to repair it)

I would never consider the K7 nor K20D, both have the Samsung sensor, it colors! No way!
K10D is fine but for Gods sake: One can find almost a K5 for its price and the K5 is so far superior for low light, AF and possibilities

K30/50 if repaired solenoid only. But then, same sensor as K5, better AF, but not quite as robust, and yet, small enough.
I'd prefer the K30/50 to the K-S2 and K-S1 but I know some with very small hands who need the size of the K-S1
"I would never consider the K7 nor K20D, both have the Samsung sensor, it colors! No way!" Of course this is very subjective. I bought the K-7 on purpose because it had the Samsung sensor and the colours are superb. But it all depends on your settings, lenses used and so on. The K-7 delivers gorgeous pictures with the 18-135 attached and using Live View it gets even better. And now I am very subjective.
04-18-2020, 05:06 AM   #18
Unregistered User

Of the Pentax models, I'd say either the KP or K-70 would be perfect. If you want better video & autofocus options, pick the KP; if you don't need those things, the K-70. Here's a comparison of the two:
Compare Pentax KP vs Pentax K-70 side to side and find out which camera is the best.

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I wonder why you want a DSLR instead of a modern point and shoot camera?
I agree - given that key term, "modern". We're not talking Kodak Instamatic, but fixed-lens (as opposed to an interchangeable lens) camera. In all other respects, control over the photographic parameters are all just as sophisticated. After a lot of research, we selected the Canon Powershot G1 X Mk3 for my wife prior to her last trip to Japan. That would give you just as much opportunity to learn how to control shutter speed, aperture, etc. as a DSLR. You'll find such cameras are just as, or more, expensive than a DSLR body, but keep in mind that the big expense with DSLR's is in the selection of lenses.

Pentax makes a terrific entry level 50mm for APS-C cameras, a very good value, and @Robgski's recommendation of the 18-135 is also a very good value. Both are very sharp lenses.
04-18-2020, 05:09 AM   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You are going to be taking photos of a baby moving around inside, and photos of artworks, you couldn’t have much different skills needed for each. Pictures of little tykes moving about are difficult, I would go with the KP because it is the best low light APS-C camera, it can keep you from getting a lot of blurry photos, or photos with heavy grain. For the art photos first thing is a decent tripod, then lens, I liked an earlier suggestion on a 35 macro. For the child pictures, something like the DA21 would be great, but if it’s to price one of the zooms. Any older camera than what’s currently available new will be disappointing for the child photos unless you have very bright lighting at home. Otherwise use a cell phone.

04-18-2020, 07:54 AM - 1 Like   #20

Original Poster
Thank you!

I already had a good feeling about this forum but I did not expect this much help!
I won’t respond to everyone’s posts individually since it will become too much but I’ll try answering everyone through this post.

I have been using the comparison tool, a lot, and reading up. I understand that the flagships are better made. I also want a weather sealed model that is why I was considering a k5, K5II or IIs.
But the K50 and K70 are lighter and have other upgrades. I am aware of the solenoid problem but it seems to be fixable so I would fix it myself if it happens! I want to use the camera often and don’t want size/weight stopping me from bringing it along. I have small hands anyway so a smaller camera is fine, my partner has tiny hands and I want a camera she can also use if she wants.

I am now understanding how important lenses are, thank you for all the advice and recommendations! I will probably start with the DA18-55 WR kit lens to begin with.

QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
Well, if you are not used working with a (D)SLR, then the (imagined) slow AF is not an item..
This is the the kind of question I had from the beginning, thanks!

QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I wonder why you want a DSLR instead of a modern point and shoot camera?
Good point, something I also considered but I do want to learn photography and phones already work as decent point and shoot cameras.

QuoteOriginally posted by mikesbike Quote
I've been a hobbyist and even at times a semi-professional over a number of decades...Don't know of your location, if in USA, UK, or wherever. Recommendations for shopping depends a lot on this.

When you get your camera, check back here with us, so we can help get you started.
Thanks for sharing, really fun to read about your experiences! I live in Sweden, so with a smaller market it can sometimes be hard to find some things locally but I am looking online also. Yes, I will definitely check back.

Since I plan on taking care and keeping the camera as long as possible and with a little one growing and moving faster, it would seem like a newer model is best for me.
When photographing for artwork, I will also be taking all kinds of photos outdoors as reference pictures, to use for studying.

Maybe if a newer model of the K-01 came out, it would be something for me.

I have a shop in Sweden that sells the K70 with 18-55WR for 480 usd when converted from sek, is that reasonable?
I feel like the KP is out of my price range, still considering it though. Also considering a K5IIs.

Thank you all for making me feel welcomed! It’s really fun reading everyone’s opinions also.
04-18-2020, 09:35 AM   #21
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Fiaskemist Quote
. . .

I have a shop in Sweden that sells the K70 with 18-55WR for 480 usd when converted from sek, is that reasonable?
I feel like the KP is out of my price range, still considering it though. Also considering a K5IIs.

Thank you all for making me feel welcomed! It’s really fun reading everyone’s opinions also.
the market place here at the forums is a good place to look for used equipment

the problem is what is in your area

it is sortable

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (EU) - PentaxForums.com

The Pentax Marketplace | Buy & Sell Pentax Cameras and Lenses (UK) - PentaxForums.com
04-18-2020, 09:56 AM - 2 Likes   #22
Pentaxian

MY wife took my K-5 5 years ago and is still using it. It's the cheapest used option I'd consider. It still outperforms many new releases in important categories. Excellent static AF. I once saw test of it's AF against current at the time competitors. It actually crushed the field with about a 96% AF accuracy, none of it's competitors achieved over 90%. So for landscape, copying art, that kind of thing Pentax AF is not a disadvantage, it's an advantage. Something when people talk about AF even the posters on this forum continually fail to mention.

What Pentax is not as good as for is predictive AF, which will probably be needed for your child once it starts moving. For predictive AF the newer the better. It was actually the K-5 where Pentax admitted they weren't up to scratch and started incremental improvements. So for photographing a moving toddler, newer is better.

The lack of predictive AF is compensated for by faster AF.s (single point focus)response than any but the best cameras. IN other words, it's has less lag between the time you press the shutter and when the shutter actually fires. It' fast enough you can use AF.s in situations with other similar brands you'd have to use AF.c tracking to get the same image.

So my advice would be go with your K-70. It's benefitted from 4 years of AF improvements after the K-5, and while not as good as cameras costing a lot more, still has the old Pentax top of the line stationary AF.

My wife and I have taken many images of our border collies catching balls in mid flight with her K-5, the weakness of the Pentax AF system have been vasty over stated. It may require a bit more skill however to get what you want, but lot's of folks here can tell you how to do it.

The main advantage of the K-70 (K-3, K-p) type cameras is crop room. You have to frame a little tighter with a K-5. You can crop 1/3 of a K-70 image and still have the same IQ as a K-5. That is useful for moving subjects where you may not have the camera pointed exactly where you wanted it when the shutter fires. For copying artwork or taking reference pictures you won't see a lot of difference in most images though. Even the K-5 is enough to do the job. And K-5 image quality is still among the best.

Last edited by normhead; 04-18-2020 at 10:09 AM.
04-18-2020, 02:14 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums

In the US, the K70 with 18-55mm WR is around $700 USD, so if you can get one in Sweden at $480 USD equivalent, YES!

Yes, this is a very special forum with some amazingly helpful and actively engaged members. Welcome to the club!
04-18-2020, 02:52 PM   #24

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
the market place here at the forums is a good place to look for used equipment

the problem is what is in your area

it is sortable ....
Thanks for the tip, will check it out.

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
MY wife took my K-5 5 years ago and is still using it. It's the cheapest used option I'd consider. It still outperforms many new releases in important categories. Excellent static AF. I once ....
Well, you are not making it easier to decide, I can tell you that much. Still, thanks for sharing!

I have found a used K5 body not so far from where I live, 150usd and person selling seems honest.

QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
In the US, the K70 with 18-55mm WR is around $700 USD, so if you can get one in Sweden at $480 USD equivalent, YES!

Yes, this is a very special forum with some amazingly helpful and actively engaged members. Welcome to the club!
Yes, I figured that out just now too! Compared online to amazon and american shops and it is almost too good to be true, but I will need to decide soon because it is on sale.

Of course, there are other options looking online for example ebay, amazon, have seen K5II now. A reliable camera shop has a used K5II body for 360usd.

Btw is it easy to resell older models? If I for example buy a K5 and want to switch in a year or two.
04-18-2020, 03:00 PM   #25
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

the K 5 II is a very good camera

here is the comparison tool again

K 5 II vs. K 5 vs K 70 vs K P

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-cameras-compared/?c1=Pentax+K-5+I...0&c4=Pentax+KP

as far as selling used equipment

well no guaranty can be made
04-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have found a used K5 body not so far from where I live, 150usd and person selling seems honest.
Does it it have a low shutter count?
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
04-18-2020, 05:07 PM   #27

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Does it it have a low shutter count?
Check Camera Shutter Count and Manufacture Date
I have been in contact and asked, 30k. Not bad for someone that has had it for 10 years?
04-18-2020, 05:27 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I have been in contact and asked, 30k. Not bad for someone that has had it for 10 years?
Sounds like a very good deal. Pair that with a macro lens for the art work, and a lens for children. You'd be off to a good start.

I have a Swedish mate here, Roland, we have many a conversation over a coffee or two, Fika
04-18-2020, 06:09 PM   #29
Pentaxian

My wife's has 70k. It should have lots of life left in it.
04-18-2020, 08:36 PM   #30

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by beachgardener Quote
Sounds like a very good deal. Pair that with a macro lens for the art work, and a lens for children. You'd be off to a good start.

I have a Swedish mate here, Roland, we have many a conversation over a coffee or two, Fika
Still not 100% decided but it does sound good.

Of course, everyone with a Swedish friend knows the concept of fika! I have only known one person named Roland and that was a teacher I had years ago, any chance of him being a teacher?

QuoteOriginally posted by normhead Quote
My wife's has 70k. It should have lots of life left in it.
Yes that is what I have come to understand about these cameras, apparently they can go over 100k so it is possible that I can hold on to one for a long time. That is why I want to make the right choice but realistically I will still be very much a beginner for a couple years so a new model might not be needed. Hope your wife’s 70k continues growing!

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
The K5II or K5IIs is a fantastic camera, even the early K5 is great.

You will find them for good prices 2.nd hand.

The good thing about them (imo) is that they don't have any scene-modes (preselect modes such as portrait, landscape, macro etc) which can seduce to remain lazy and not really learning about the essential ABC of photography such as Av and Tv (or P-Mode, something special which you find just with Pentax).
Your advice has been very helpful photogem. Since you have used the K5 series so much, can the K5 be used in some kind of automatic mode if my partner wants to use it? Also, do you have small hands? how well does it work shooting photos through the live view?

So I am actually now leaning towards the K5 series. I think that I will be very happy as a beginner, also the little one isn’t expected until the fall so we will still just have a little baby for two more years. I will upgrade if needed then. I am also congratulating my reasonable side for not giving in and buying the newest shiniest on the market. It did take some effort convincing myself, thanks for the help.

Some final advice needed. I do like the deal on the K5 body, it costs about 167usd, I gave a rounded price earlier. But should I still be looking for a K5II instead?