Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-19-2020, 03:27 AM   #1

Need Advice: Used Pentax 645 film camera or Pentax kp.

Dear all.

Need your good suggestion.
Wonder to buy Pentax kp to replace my k20d (lcd screen starting malfunction. My Pentax km view finder and lcd screen all blur).

Found that the used Pentax 645 film camera bundle with lens is it worth it compare to Pentax kp.

Again, thanks for your advice.

04-19-2020, 04:19 AM - 1 Like   #2
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
you can find " user reviews " for medium format Pentax Cameras here

Pentax Film Cameras - Pentax Camera Reviews and Specifications

I have no experience with one but it seems to me to be comparing " apples to oranges "
04-19-2020, 06:09 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I guess that depends on whether you want an APS-C digital SLR or a medium format film SLR.

They're quite different.
04-19-2020, 06:31 AM - 2 Likes   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The old manual-focus 645 body had some shortcomings and personally I opted for a 645N autofocus. This modern version (645N) was more user-friendly and provided a beautiful finder image. OTOH, a digital camera costs almost nothing to operate while a film camera costs money each time you fire the shutter (around 1.00 dollar per image). I still have reserves of Fuji Reala and Kodak Ektar 100 films in my freezer but I find digital to be more rewarding as it gives instantaneous results (you don't have to find a sometimes far-away film processor), resolution and contrast are above any reproach and you simply delete an image you don't like. Just my 2 cents !

Regards

04-19-2020, 07:38 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Pentax 645 film cannot substitute your k20d. But Pentax KP can.
04-19-2020, 08:16 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Film camera is an option if you're going to migrate to analog photography. I second what jumbleview said: 645 film camera cannot substitute digital APS-C.
04-19-2020, 11:43 AM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

What do you plan to do with your images? It seems to me that a medium-format film system is going to require a very strong philosophical commitment and deep pockets when you factor in the cost of film, processing, and printing. With a KP you can make prints 13" x 20" at 300 dpi, 16 x 24 at 250dpi, etc. The KP has so many settings and customizations that you can do a great deal of image manipulation before you snap the shutter. There is certainly nothing wrong with being a film aficionado; I used to be one. I have lots of filters I used to adapt daylight film to non-daylight lighting. Once I went digital though, I never looked back. Auto white balance or selectable and customizable WB in-camera, plus many other advantages too numerous to mention.

Have you read the KP in-depth review? Pentax KP Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

I recently acquired a used KP from a fellow PF member and am very pleased with it. Here's a few samples: Apet-Sure's Album: Nature-KP - PentaxForums.com

04-19-2020, 12:07 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Garuda lowky Quote
Need your good suggestion.
Found that the used Pentax 645 film camera bundle with lens is it worth it compare to Pentax kp.
If you have to ask, the answer is no. The KP is the logical and excellent digital replacement for your K20D.

The 645 film is a completely different experience and process. I shoot both film and digital because there are times when I miss and want the film experience, the simplicity, the slow pace, the aspect ratio, and/or black & white negs to take into the darkroom. But most of the time, I find the convenience, speed, low light capability, and operational cost of digital my tech of choice.

IF both the K20D and the KM were working, in the next 10 opportunities to shoot, would you pick up the digital or the film most of the time? If digital, then go with the KP. If film, then go with the 645.
04-19-2020, 04:21 PM - 1 Like   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

A 645 is not even a "replacement" for a 35mm film body, especially an advanced one, let alone an APS-C DSLR. These are very different systems, and used to satisfy different goals, although they overlap.

The KP is far more advanced than a K20D. I have both, the K20D being in pristine condition. Still a very good camera with some aspects of its own to appreciate, but the KP is far more capable. They are 2 very different animals in terms of ergonomics and controls. The K20D is a large, meaty design. The KP's control set is based on that first introduced on the FF K-1. But the KP can be altered in its ergonomics, often to suit the lens used on it, unlike other models. As to performance, you will be quite impressed, no doubt, with results possible from the KP.

I also have the K-5 IIs, which is more compact and lighter than the K20D, while the KP is even more so. Magnesium alloy construction quality is top notch. AF and metering are excellent. I got mine in silver, which I have not seen widely available since the compact film models of the 1990's. It is a beautiful design, a jewel of a camera.
04-19-2020, 05:59 PM   #10

Original Poster
Thanks for all comments. I'll deeply reconsideration. Have a nice day to all. I'm in lock down period, stay at home in Malaysia. The best will come soon.