Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #1

First image often shows black

I'll see something outside my window that I quickly want to capture. I quickly grab my K50. Unfortunately and quite often the first image is often blank or black. Second, third, and forth etc. are fine. This has been going on for a couple of months. Any ideas.

04-20-2020, 07:05 AM   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Bill, it sounds like the aperture block issue. Check the link below. Good luck.

Dark exposure problems on K-30 or K-50? Read me first! - PentaxForums.com
04-20-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
+1 typical aperture block symptoms. My KS2 has just started showing same symptoms, a quick rat-tat-tat in burst mode has so far always cleared it. I think it is possible to keep going like this for a long time. But equally, could become a consistent failing at any moment.
The good news is the cure is a relatively easy repair. I just fixed a K30 that I bought with aperture block failure. Photogem is our guru on this...:

Manual: Solenoid Replacment Pentax K-30/50/500 + Discharge of flash-condenser - PentaxForums.com

Or if you're not diy inclined, any competent camera repair technician can do this relatively cheaply and quickly (only took me an hour). Just need to locate the relevant part: an original white solenoid (ideally).
04-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #4

Yes. Aperature block. My K50's failed. Sent to Precision Camera for repair. Under $200, as I remember. Two years ago, still working great. I'm too shaky and don't see good enough for a self repair.

05-11-2020, 06:19 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bill Bellows Quote
I'll see something outside my window that I quickly want to capture. I quickly grab my K50. Unfortunately and quite often the first image is often blank or black. Second, third, and forth etc. are fine. This has been going on for a couple of months. Any ideas.
That is EXACTLY what my K-50 when it started to develop the aperture block problem. Where are you located? In Australia, Pentax charges AU$150 (about US$100) to fix this problem. They have repair centers in Sydney and Melbourne. You have to be seriously skilled to DYI it in my opinion.