Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-21-2020, 08:16 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
This lens might just turn into a learning exercise. If I can take it apart, I know I can repaint it. I would need to replace that slide seal though...

04-22-2020, 11:36 AM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mkgd1 Quote
You might try WD40, it's less aggressive and less toxic than MEK but does remove sticky residue from many surfaces.
Main ingredient = Stoddard solvent

Steve
04-24-2020, 12:47 PM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
One thing that is a positive. With all the handling, and all the scrubbing with different solutions, the barrel slides easily now. I think it was the sticky substance pulling the barrel seal out. So I put the lense on a camera and the af works great. So now it's a really ugly lens. Sticky, part of its barrel markings scrubbed off, and it will more than likely not keep any dust out....but it functions beautifully. 😄
04-24-2020, 02:52 PM - 1 Like   #19
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sam_I_am Quote
So now it's a really ugly lens.
Ugly is not PC. I'd say you've given it a unique patina. Or that it now has character. Post a photo of it in its new glory!!!

What IS ugly? Fungus or delamination of the glass elements/groups or severe scratches on the front element.

04-25-2020, 01:14 AM   #20
Veteran Member

If the markings are engraved on rather than just silk screened ypu may be able ro refill them in with some patience and some enamel paints.
04-25-2020, 11:09 AM   #21
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Astro-Baby Quote
If the markings are engraved on rather than just silk screened ypu may be able ro refill them in with some patience and some enamel paints.
Lacquer crayons.

Steve
04-25-2020, 11:10 AM - 1 Like   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Alex645 Quote
Ugly is not PC. I'd say you've given it a unique patina. Or that it now has character. Post a photo of it in its new glory!!!

What IS ugly? Fungus or delamination of the glass elements/groups or severe scratches on the front element.

You are correct, I was not taking its feelings into consideration when I made that comment. Here it is, in its fully extended glory, showing all its character, with its unique and charming patina.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
SM-G960U  Photo 

Last edited by Sam_I_am; 04-25-2020 at 01:27 PM.