Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

ME Super Exposure dial locked in L position

Got out the old ME Super today to make some shutter speed measurements.

Replaced dead batteries. With no lens mounted, everything looked more or less OK - the metering lights lit up.

Put the exposure mode dial on M and set the speed to 1 second (I think). Pushed the shutter button and got an exposure certainly much less than 1 second.

So, started playing with the exposure mode dial. At some point, I set it to "L" which I guess is supposed to lock the shutter button so you can't fire it accidentally.

Well, now I can't get it out of the L position - I can't rotate the dial. I tried with and without a lens, and with and without batteries, popping open the back. No dice. The little white button seems to be part way in - I can't press it in any farther.

I am reluctant to try turning it any harder without some encouragement here. The feel is certainly like something is stuck mechanically. There is basically no play in the dial.

Any ideas? Thanks.

04-21-2020, 05:03 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
I am reluctant to try turning it any harder without some encouragement here. The feel is certainly like something is stuck mechanically. There is basically no play in the dial.Any ideas? Thanks.
I just tried two of my ME Supers, without lens or battery.

The exposure mode dial locks in position in "Auto", at which setting the white button is in a full-out, proud position (i.e., not depressed).

The white button must be pushed to unlock and rotate the exposure mode dial from Auto to "L" or the other settings. At the non-Auto settings, the white button remains depressed, flush with its surrounding bezel.

The exposure mode dial may be turned from L without needing to push the white button. The mode dial may be rotated with a gentle torque, i.e., no need to go hard on it. There's a slight resistance at first.

Sounds like yours may have a mechanical issue. Upon cursory inspection, I couldn't figure out what might be binding.

Edit: You say that the white button is "part way in." At the L setting, the top of the button should be flush. Try wiggling the mode dial while pressing the button with a toothpick or other tool.

Edit 2. Sorry, can't resist a bit of dark humour. I was thinking, If all else fails, come on to that sucker with 12-inch slip-joint pliers and apply some manly torque just like tightening a truck wheel lug nut. But I digress. That's not the way to fix cameras.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 04-21-2020 at 05:29 PM.
04-21-2020, 06:48 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by c.a.m Quote
I was thinking, If all else fails, come on to that sucker with 12-inch slip-joint pliers and apply some manly torque just like tightening a truck wheel lug nut. But I digress. That's not the way to fix cameras.
But I do have all that stuff! If all else fails, .......
04-22-2020, 01:02 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I seem to remember having a similar problem years ago while travelling on holiday.
A small piece of dirt had somehow got under the dial and jammed it.
Desperate to fix it and not miss pictures from the second half of the holiday I used my Swiss Army knife to undo the screw which surrounds the shutter button.
This allowed the dial to come up and I could remove the dirt and all was well.
But beware, there is some small spring ( I think) which supports the white button and which will make a bid for freedom.
Sorry not to have more detail but this was 25 years ago.

04-22-2020, 07:00 AM - 1 Like   #5

Got out the old ME Super today to make some shutter speed measurements.

Replaced dead batteries. With no lens mounted, everything looked more or less OK - the metering lights lit up.

Put the exposure mode dial on M and set the speed to 1 second (I think). Pushed the shutter button and got an exposure certainly much less than 1 second.

So, started playing with the exposure mode dial. At some point, I set it to "L" which I guess is supposed to lock the shutter button so you can't fire it accidentally.

Well, now I can't get it out of the L position - I can't rotate the dial. I tried with and without a lens, and with and without batteries, popping open the back. No dice. The little white button seems to be part way in - I can't press it in any farther.

I am reluctant to try turning it any harder without some encouragement here. The feel is certainly like something is stuck mechanically. There is basically no play in the dial.

Any ideas? Thanks.
http://www.pentax-manuals.com/manuals/service/me-s_sm.pdf
04-22-2020, 07:28 AM - 2 Likes   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I just tried removing the selector on one of my many junk ME Supers. It comes off via the "nut" with two notches in the centre of it (clockwise thread). The white button is captive in the selector but the "nut" is separate to the selector itself. The detent pin comes up from the camera and doesn't seem overly eager to escape unless you turn the camera upside down.
04-22-2020, 11:07 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by RedRuff Quote
I just tried removing the selector on one of my many junk ME Supers. It comes off via the "nut" with two notches in the centre of it (clockwise thread). The white button is captive in the selector but the "nut" is separate to the selector itself. The detent pin comes up from the camera and doesn't seem overly eager to escape unless you turn the camera upside down.
Thanks RedRuff and others who noted the proper position of the little white button (C.A.M.) and the nut around the shutter button. I hadn't noticed that.

I managed to undo the nut (using a pair of scissors as a spanner wrench) and things popped up. I'm still not sure what the problem was (or whether I was just afraid to twist hard enough to get out of the Lock position), but I am now in business. (And will try to remember to never set the dial to L again!)

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
But beware, there is some small spring ( I think) which supports the white button and which will make a bid for freedom.
That little pin was happy to stay in place until I provoked it - fortunately it didn't go far. I suspect the spring which pushes it up has lost some oomph over time and may be the root of my problem.

I hope to report some shutter speed measurements shortly

04-22-2020, 11:46 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That little pin was happy to stay in place until I provoked it
Haha glad you got it sorted!