Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-25-2020, 07:28 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

IR Remote Help Please

Greetings all and hope everyone is hanging in there alright.
Recently grabbed my old K01 and tried to use an IR remote, something I've never done before.
As you can tell by the title, no success.
Set the drive to both remote and remote with 3s delay. Remote icon shows in lcd and red light flashes on front.
Also set AF to adjust with remote in cpanel/menus for another attempt.

The remote I'm trying to use is a Vello for Pentax but also tried my TV remote as well.
Batteries in remotes are good according to voltmeter and as the K01 is modified to full spectrum, I can see the signals flashing from the remotes if I point through the lens.
Have pointed the remote at the red light as well as scanned it all around the camera from about 6 inches away to about 6mm up close.
Also tried with my K1 with no success either, both front and rear red lights are flashing.
Wondering what I might be missing here, as I have no manuals and couldn't find anything specific in the forums.
Thanks in advance to any and all who might be able to set my brain in the right direction.

04-25-2020, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

haven't had any success with TV remote....the cheap Chinese IRs I have for pentax are at times hit or miss even in very close proximity with good batteries.....so not much help as it can be a mystery to me at times....

the red light blinking would indicate you have the camera in the correct drive mode
04-25-2020, 08:01 PM - 1 Like   #3
Closed Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
the red light blinking would indicate you have the camera in the correct drive mode
^^^^ Yes, this. ^^^^
As you have tried it on both your K-01 and K-1, I also feel it is the remote unit itself that is the problem. Good luck.
04-25-2020, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #4

A voltmeter without a battery check function doesn't tell you much. The voltage may measure correctly without a load. Once a load is added to the circuit the voltage can drop off quickly. I had a set of 12 year old D cells which measured between 1.45 - 1.5 volts. Put them in a flashlight the bulb would dimly light and go in in a few seconds.

Try fresh batteries.

04-26-2020, 01:08 AM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

The Pentax remote is expensive, even used, but works well with my K10D and K20D.
04-26-2020, 10:41 AM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Thanks all, think I will have to consider the Pentax remote then. Don't have a way to do a load test on such a small battery but figure if I can see the signal through the lens the batteries must have enough strength. Trying to not spend money on non essentials at the moment and sadly the K01 does allow any other type of remote. Fortunately the K1 accepts the cable releases I have, so will use that for time being. Just wanted to take the K01 out for some night photography as it is small and lightweight.
04-26-2020, 12:38 PM - 1 Like   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
First, I would recommend the Pentax O-RC1 remote. Its a small, low cost remote and I use one with my K-1. Have used it at 12 feet in full sun and it works fine. You mentioned testing by looking at the remote output with your K-01 (I tried that with my K-1 and its IR reject filter is good enough that I couldn't see any output from the remote I mentioned). Of course, you should be able to see it through your full-spectrum camera, but the camera is no good measure of the actual output brightness so low batteries could still be your problem.

Remotes output specific codes and unless your TV remote is programmable to the Pentax K-01 code, it's not going to work at all. Could be the Vello doesn't have the specific K-1 code (has it worked in the past??), and if not, it won't work. I know the O-RC1 will work with the K-01 since I also have that camera (FS also) and tried it, so you might look into that remote. If you want a remote that has a long range, it might not be right, but for close-in selfies and the like, it should work for you.

Last edited by Bob 256; 04-26-2020 at 12:51 PM.
04-26-2020, 02:56 PM - 1 Like   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Test the transmitter using a smartphone -
shows how to do it. I've been using cheap remote controls in K-S2 and K-1 without major issues, albeit I always carry a spare
04-27-2020, 11:23 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Bob 256 Quote
Could be the Vello doesn't have the specific K-1 code (has it worked in the past??), and if not, it won't work.
Thanks @Bob 256, this is what I was afraid of. The remote does say for Pentax and since I last posted I tried it with a Yongnuo flash, which it fired though not from far away.
@pentageek, thanks for the video link. Tried with my iphone and couldn't see a signal from either the Vello or the TV remote.

I guess I will give a new battery a try and if that doesn't work, for time being I will use the old film trick of covering the lens with a hat when I push the shutter to start and stop bulb mode.
If I ever see any form of income coming my way again, I'll look into the Pentax brand remotes. Wondering if anyone has ever used the D model with any success?

Last edited by pcrichmond; 04-27-2020 at 11:31 AM. Reason: misspelling
04-27-2020, 01:09 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Iphone seems to be less sensitive to IR light - I've tested mine, and it correctly detected the light from TV remote, but the light from cheap 'for Pentax' remote was barely visible. Samsung, on the other hand, was showing bright flash of light from both transmitters. Please test your Iphone with known-good remote before drawing any conclusions.