Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-27-2020, 11:05 PM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Weird pattern in astro photos

Hi everyone, I have been shooting astro lots over the years and recently during post processing these strange concentric circle type patterns are appearing.

I use Photoshop CC (and therefore Camera Raw) and I am starting to think it must be something to do with that, as even when I revisit old photos, these patterns are appearing where they never used to.

I have attached a processed file. It is most noticeable in the bottom left and all up the right side. Has anyone seen this before - and more importantly - know how to deal with it?

Thanks very much!

Luke

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-27-2020, 11:24 PM - 1 Like   #2
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Luke, what ( if any ) filter do you have on the lens?

EDIT - Check this thread. Good luck.

Weird circular rings in night photos - PentaxForums.com

Last edited by pjv; 04-27-2020 at 11:33 PM.
04-27-2020, 11:35 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

I seem to remember something similar after using vignetting lens correction. Could this be relevant.?

04-27-2020, 11:43 PM - 3 Likes   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

it's a grid artifact, distorted into that radial shape by the lens correction tool. I see same sometimes with very low light long exposures.

04-27-2020, 11:59 PM - 7 Likes   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Hi everyone, thanks for the quick replies - had not heard of Newtons Rings before so that is something to look into

To PJV - no filters. Given it was a night shot I upped the ISO so I was also wondering if that was an issue (but didnt really think so) but yes - slartibartfast01 and mikeSF - I redid it without the lens profile correction and its fine. That is a really easy fix. I am in the habit of always clicking those boxes but know not to now for astro

Thanks heaps, I didnt think it would be this simple to fix!

Luke
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
04-28-2020, 12:04 AM - 1 Like   #6
pjv
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by LukeOB Quote
I didnt think it would be this simple to fix!
Great news Luke. And excellent image too.
04-28-2020, 01:25 AM - 3 Likes   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

great scene, btw!

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 01:31 AM ----------

I was dealing with same issue - I've decided it is not worth correcting on this shot, but on the RAW, i was able to eliminate it by turning off the lens distortion correction.
Bioluminescent Algae at Big Sur (Explore #7)

Last edited by mikeSF; 04-28-2020 at 01:32 AM.
04-28-2020, 08:41 PM - 1 Like   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mikeSF Quote
great scene, btw!

---------- Post added 04-28-20 at 01:31 AM ----------

I was dealing with same issue - I've decided it is not worth correcting on this shot, but on the RAW, i was able to eliminate it by turning off the lens distortion correction.
Bioluminescent Algae at Big Sur (Explore #7)
Gee that shots got it all hasnt it - even a waterfall plunging into the ocean! I have only shot the bioluminescence once so should set it as a goal once the quarantine stuff lifts a little. In Tassie, the "holy grail" shot is the bioluminescence in the ocean with an aurora in the sky - there's a couple of spots that can be done