Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
04-30-2020, 08:28 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
How to upload pictures with good resolution?

Im trying to share my pictures here and i export my images from LR to suggested dimensions 1200 max width and maximum 1MB file size. But when i select the image to upload here on the forum it reduces it to like 152Kb and becomes extremely low resolution of course. Why is this?

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-30-2020, 08:40 AM - 2 Likes   #2

Mostly for server space.
A better option is to host the image on a file sharing site (flickr.com is popular), and post the URL between IMG tags.
That way, the server gets the low res images it likes, and clicking on the photo allows users to view your image in all of its high res glory.

Kirk B.
04-30-2020, 08:43 AM - 1 Like   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by crazy4oldcars Quote
Mostly for server space.
A better option is to host the image on a file sharing site (flickr.com is popular), and post the URL between IMG tags.
That way, the server gets the low res images it likes, and clicking on the photo allows users to view your image in all of its high res glory.

Kirk B.
Thank you very much Kirk B.... I'll try that.

---------- Post added 04-30-20 at 08:56 AM ----------

foggy | Foggy October morning in beech forest. Sweden | Alexander Styrlander | Flickr

---------- Post added 04-30-20 at 08:58 AM ----------

Blablabla

foggy | Foggy October morning in beech forest. Sweden | Alexander Styrlander | Flickr
04-30-2020, 08:59 AM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by A.Styrlander Quote
Im trying to share my pictures here and i export my images from LR to suggested dimensions 1200 max width and maximum 1MB file size. But when i select the image to upload here on the forum it reduces it to like 152Kb and becomes extremely low resolution of course. Why is this?
If you exceed the attachment limits, the forum will scale the file. Long as you're below them, the original photo is unaltered. I believe the maximum WxH dimensions are currently 1400x900 (this is shown in the uploader window).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2020, 09:03 AM   #5

Original Poster
afasdf

sdfasf

---------- Post added 04-30-20 at 09:04 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
If you exceed the attachment limits, the forum will scale the file. Long as you're below them, the original photo is unaltered. I believe the maximum WxH dimensions are currently 1400x900 (this is shown in the uploader window).
Ok, thank you Adam... Ill keep experimenting here in this thread if you don't mind?

Cheers
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-30-2020, 09:05 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Sounds good. In this case, you'd get the best image quality if you set the height of the image to 900px or less.

Adam

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
04-30-2020, 09:11 AM   #7

Original Poster
Actually I think I'm just picky or something. This is how good as it gets.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
04-30-2020, 10:15 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

In Flickr, you need to use the BBcode, not the url that says img.
04-30-2020, 11:50 AM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Adam, just as a matter of interest, is there some good technical reason why HxW can't be 1400x900 ?

Philip
04-30-2020, 11:59 AM - 2 Likes   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is how I do it.....

In Flickr on the right of the page select "download this image" then click ""view all sizes"

Select the size you want people to be able to see, then right click in the photo and choose "copy image location"

On this forum click the "insert image" icon and paste the location.

04-30-2020, 12:05 PM   #11
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by MrB1 Quote
Adam, just as a matter of interest, is there some good technical reason why HxW can't be 1400x900 ?

Philip
A image that tall will still end up having to be scaled to fit on a single page on most monitors. So it's mostly to ensure that the image doesn't require any scrolling.

Adam

04-30-2020, 12:07 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I do not upload to Flickr (or any site) an image as large as you have done. Reason is that most folk will not have a screen that displays that many pixels.

My screen resolution is 1440 tall so i limit all my web uploads to that size. That has the advantage that loading is quicker for those on a slow internet speed, and also that your image will be more displayed as you want it rather than relying on someone elses software to downsize the image .
04-30-2020, 12:19 PM   #13
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

There are three options for upload to Pentax Forums.
  • Attachment to a post: fairly restrictive and forum software may rewrite your photo to smaller pixel dimensions.
  • Gallery upload (Click Photos on main forum menu): Much less restrictive, though with 3 MB limit. Share in forum post by copying the BBCode snippet below the uploaded image. The forum software will respect pixel dimensions and not rewrite your file.
  • Album upload (Click Photos on main forum menu): same as Gallery upload.

Be aware that regardless of upload option chosen, the Web site style/layout "skin" may instruct your Web browser to scale your photo to fit the forum's layout. The "Modern" layouts do this while the "Classic" layouts do not. Be aware also, that sharing an image with greater than 1200 pixels horizontal or 800 pixels vertical risks extending beyond the size of the browser window for many common displays. For example, the 14" laptop I am typing on supports 1366x768. Anything wider or taller than that, I won't be able to see the full image am unlikely to scroll just to see the edges.

As for linking from Flickr...Click the "share" icon on your photo's page and use the BBCode option to copy forum-compatible code that may be pasted directly into your post. A happy side-effect is that doing so also respects Flickr's terms and conditions that shared images link back to the photo's page on Flickr.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 04-30-2020 at 12:30 PM.
04-30-2020, 12:35 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
This is how I do it.....

In Flickr on the right of the page select "download this image" then click ""view all sizes"

Select the size you want people to be able to see, then right click in the photo and choose "copy image location"

On this forum click the "insert image" icon and paste the location.
This method works, but does not respect Flickr's requirement (Terms and Conditions) that shared images be supplied with a link back to the photo's Flickr page. In the past, failure to do so has resulted in Flickr blocking non-compliant direct (deep) links. That is why using the BBCode feature is so useful. I grab the code to copy in to my post and edit out all but the nested URL and IMG tags needed to for display and the link back.

Steve
04-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If you click on 'View Picture EXIF' for your first two posted images, the pixel height is 900 and the JPEG quality is 85. In your third image, the pixel height is 800 and the JPEG quality is 98. I've found that if I post images that are 800H x 1200W or less, the JPEG quality almost always stays at 100.