Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-31-2008, 12:08 AM   #1
Inactive Account

colours of Pentax

Hello all,

I'm still trying to make up my mind whether to buy Pentax or Canon. I have no real experience with either of them, only with a Nikon D50 that I have used for the last 2 years and which i've just sold.
When I look at this site: PENTAX Photo Gallery, and i look at the colours, my mouth just falls open. So my question is: are these pictures very post processed, or are these pretty much the colours one gets out of the camera?
If it's the latter case, I'd make up my mind very fast

Thanks in advance

10-31-2008, 02:41 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
But you said you had already decided to get the K200D in your first post anyway

I guess (having 'only' the K100D) that the K200D does its job very well colorwise.

I've looked at the link you have posted and it seems to me that colors in some of those pics are really pushed to the limit. But that's a matter of taste and you can get this kind of color-pop from the standard settings of a Pentax camera (it's called 'vivid' color mode on mine).

Compared to Canon you really do get better colors from out-of-the-cam jpegs, especially skin tones. FWIW the Sonys don't do it that good either. And you get the shake reduction with a choosable range from 8mm focal length to 800mm. I even used this on tripods with long lenses, cause I can't spend a fortune for a real massive tripod and head (let alone carrying it).

K100D + cheapo manual M42 300mm lens @f/11 handheld + pentax shake reduction

The best thing is of course, should you choose Pentax, this forum!

Have fun with whatever you choose,
Georg (the other)
11-01-2008, 12:36 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Well i made up my mind and took the K200D + some normal DA lenses and 1 prime (50 1.4). Can't wait to take pictures but the weather won't let me for now.
About the colours pushed to limit: yes indeed they all are like that, but the effect is very nice though imo, matter of personal taste i guess
11-01-2008, 02:22 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by bsierens Quote
Well i made up my mind and took the K200D + some normal DA lenses and 1 prime (50 1.4).
Congratulations. I too was attracted by the exposure and colour balance of the Pentax K100D versus the Nikon D40. Indeed, when looking at colour fidelity charts, the K100D is a bit more faithful. They all have deviations, sometimes deliberate to yield deep blue skies and healthy skin tones, etc., so you have to go by what you prefer.

I'd definitely choose "natural" over "bright" as the camera setting. You can always mess up the image to look like a P&S vacation picture later on, if you feel like it.

11-10-2008, 01:00 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Don't underestimate the effect of Pentax lenses.

Lenses are about more than absolute resolution and sharpness.

I absolutely love the colour rendition and contrast of many Pentax lenses. I have a super-cheap Pentax FA 28-90 that I can't bring myself to sell. It's a wonky copy that's kind of soft in one corner. But the COLOURS! I've taken some of my favourite shots with that lens. Often without a lens hood! The SMC coatings really are fantastic.
12-03-2008, 04:19 AM   #6
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by bsierens Quote
Well i made up my mind and took the K200D + some normal DA lenses and 1 prime (50 1.4). Can't wait to take pictures but the weather won't let me for now.
About the colours pushed to limit: yes indeed they all are like that, but the effect is very nice though imo, matter of personal taste i guess
Way to go! CONGRATULATIONS! I was a canon user for sometime and had all the white thing that are just great as doors stops now! Hehehe! just kidding! I have a K20D and a couple of DA* lenses at the moment and they are nothing but AWSOME! Out of the box I was happy with everything.

Cheers! You now have the best!
12-03-2008, 04:22 AM   #7
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by georgweb Quote
But you said you had already decided to get the K200D in your first post anyway

I guess (having 'only' the K100D) that the K200D does its job very well colorwise.

I've looked at the link you have posted and it seems to me that colors in some of those pics are really pushed to the limit. But that's a matter of taste and you can get this kind of color-pop from the standard settings of a Pentax camera (it's called 'vivid' color mode on mine).

Compared to Canon you really do get better colors from out-of-the-cam jpegs, especially skin tones. FWIW the Sonys don't do it that good either. And you get the shake reduction with a choosable range from 8mm focal length to 800mm. I even used this on tripods with long lenses, cause I can't spend a fortune for a real massive tripod and head (let alone carrying it).

K100D + cheapo manual M42 300mm lens @f/11 handheld + pentax shake reduction

The best thing is of course, should you choose Pentax, this forum!

Have fun with whatever you choose,
Georg (the other)
Awsome shot on this one Sir! I take a lot of pictures of people playing golf, would you recomend a 300 or 400 lens I could get into? Of course I'd like to keep my arm and my leg!
Thanks
12-03-2008, 07:21 AM   #8
Inactive Account

I shoot on Normal with a bump to contrast and sharpness in camera and occasionally in RAW and most of my post-processing involves light adjustments to exposure and levels but not much to saturation (which is what I believe is catching your eye on the Pentax Gallery photos).

If anything, that saturation adjustment is used to highlight a color already present in the photo that you want to over-emphasize for effect deliberately (the vivid hues of a flower, etc) or to bring a little life into a photo that's been shot in dull lighting conditions.

12-03-2008, 07:30 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you take a look at the photo in the Gallery here (yeah, I know, I really should get some more in there), that was shot with a K10D and kit lens. Other than a WB adjustment, that is pretty much the color straight out of the camera.
12-05-2008, 12:32 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Wow! I do love Pentax's colors so much.
12-07-2008, 11:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Ah, colors. The difference in color between brands is quite subtle, but it is there, even in raw although to a lesser degree. When I shot Nikon, the colors were a bit cooler and greener, Pentax has a warmth that I quite enjoy.

I'm not sure how much differently Pentax lenses render color than Nikon or Canon, but the subtle contrast that they give is beautiful.

Keep in mind that if you shoot RAW and use a good processing program like Lightroom the differences all but vanish, they are there, but you can simulate virtually any look you want with skill and practice.