Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-07-2020, 08:20 AM   #1

Missing MX shutter button lock lever spring, looking for requirements

Hi!

I am a new owner of MX in very nice condition. Everythings works fine, but the shutter button lock lever acts a little wierd. There is no resistance, noch snappy locking. So after taking it very gently apart, knowing that there should be a spring and a ball, i was supprised to find nothing there. No spring and no ball. Which explains the none-snappines.

Does anyone here know the requirements for this spring and ball, like diameter, length, etc? In this service manual pdf which one can find on the internet there is just a parts number listed, A320, 23602-A320, but i can't find the reqs. I would very much buy some replacement parts, which knowing the requirements would be that much easier.

Greetings
DerKlops

05-07-2020, 12:33 PM - 1 Like   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Hello @DerKlops,

Welcome to Pentax Forums!

It sounds like the two small parts were lost, possibly during a repair. Those small springs and balls seem to escape at the first possible chance!

I have an MX in my cabinet, which I will clean and service in the future. I just disassembled the shutter lock lever, and measured the parts you need. I used a workshop digital caliper, which I believe has an accuracy of +/- 0.02 mm. I measured each part several times.

Here are the specifications:

Part A320, spring: straight compression spring. Outside diameter 1.14 mm; free length 5 mm. I did not think to count the number of turns/coils or measure its fully compressed length, but I would estimate approximately 8-10 coils across its length.

Ball (not sure of the part number): diameter 1.19 mm.

Hope this helps.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-07-2020 at 01:00 PM.
05-07-2020, 10:23 PM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Craig!

Thank you for the data. I have already found a supplier for both, spring and ball. I will update here, when that stuff has been delievered and i was steady and patient enough to fix this.

Greetings
DerKlops
05-08-2020, 05:31 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by DerKlops Quote
Thank you for the data. I have already found a supplier for both, spring and ball. I will update here, when that stuff has been delievered and i was steady and patient enough to fix this.
Glad to be of help.

When assembling small springs and balls onto a camera or lens, I find that a small amount of light grease helps to keep them fixed in position.

- Craig

Last edited by c.a.m; 05-08-2020 at 05:53 AM.
08-13-2020, 05:51 AM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
So, after a long odyssee i found a MX top cover with a working shutter button lock lever.
I took some pictures of the the spring and the ball with a caliper.
So the specs Craig provided are correct.

An my MX is as good as new. Yay!

Thanks again
DerKlops
Attached Images

08-21-2022, 11:23 AM   #6

Hi All,

Currently running into the same issue on my MX. Do you know of any websites that'll sell the spring for a reasonable price? The best website said $34 inlcuding handling?

Best,

- Asa