Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2020, 12:52 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
No exposure meter in viewfinder

I have a KP and a K3. I get an exposure meter in manual mode when shooting with AF lenses but not with M42s. On the K3 I can get it when I use the dof viewer. Auto level is off. Any ideas or is that how it always was and I am going nuts?

05-09-2020, 02:08 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Cerebum Quote
I have a KP and a K3. I get an exposure meter in manual mode when shooting with AF lenses but not with M42s. On the K3 I can get it when I use the dof viewer. Auto level is off. Any ideas or is that how it always was and I am going nuts?
The light meter needs to know the aperture set on the lens to function. M42 and pre A-series lenses do not transmit this information. The green button method or DOF preview physically stops the lens down and meters with the aperture stopped down when using a K or M- series lens..

With M42 lenses you should be able to use Av mode also as the lens stops down when you turn the aperture ring.

Last edited by pschlute; 05-09-2020 at 02:31 AM.
05-09-2020, 04:01 AM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
The light meter needs to know the aperture set on the lens to function. M42 and pre A-series lenses do not transmit this information. The green button method or DOF preview physically stops the lens down and meters with the aperture stopped down when using a K or M- series lens..

With M42 lenses you should be able to use Av mode also as the lens stops down when you turn the aperture ring.
Brilliant. Thanks I use both methods, I think I prefer the Av route then I can lock the exposure, although, green button and exposure compensation works nicely too. On the K3, using the dof preview also gives you the exposure which is nice. For some reason I thought I had seen the meter lol. Mystery solved. Thanks