Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-09-2020, 11:06 PM - 1 Like   #1

Using external monitor in live view

I just got back into photography after a few years with a different hobby. Grabbed a k-3 and i'm loving it. Its old but new to me. (the last camera i had was a sony a700 so)

In any case. I want to hook up a monitor on a mount to the hot/cold shoe so i can have a screen i can angle and turn depending on the position i'm in. Im not concerned with controlling the camera from the monitor, i just want to be able to use the monitor to project live view/project video mode. Do i really need a flucard for this? or an HDMI out monitor? im unsure which port on the camera and/or cable to use. Any help is appreciated.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
IPhone 6  Photo 
05-10-2020, 12:38 AM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Via the "Micro HDMI-output" of your K3 to an external monitor.

There are special camera-field-monitors with focus-peaking.
You can install them also on the hot shoe mount.
05-10-2020, 07:34 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
There are special camera-field-monitors with focus-peaking.
Does anybody have an experience and recommendation regarding any particular type?
05-10-2020, 08:51 AM   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums! There are instructions in the K-3 user manual (page 63) for HDMI connection to external video. The output will be the same resolution as and identical to what is displayed on the rear LCD. The manual is available for free download from Ricoh.

Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING

You will need a cable with micro HDMI type "D" connector to fit the K-3. The flash shoe may be used for non-powered attachment of a small field monitor, but there is no particular advantage to doing so.

Steve

05-10-2020, 11:22 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jumbleview Quote
Does anybody have an experience and recommendation regarding any particular type?
I used to have the Walimex Pro but sold it because I hardly used it.

The Lilliput A7s is supposed to be really good for money