Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
05-11-2020, 01:16 PM   #1

Pentax ES-II: confusion on TTL metering

Hello, first time posting! I have a entry level question. I have no experience beforehand w/ SLR's and have mostly shot through rangefinders. I just received my prints shot through an inherited Pentax ES-II. The pictures came out with mixed results however. Most images were underexposed and some with a slight motion blur. Reading up on the user's guide, I'm confused about TTL metering. My process has been to, ''focus'' on the subject and then set the f-stop to match the, ''needle'' in the middle as highlighted. The camera itself has been set to Automatic with the exposure dial as 1x. I believe the error on my part being that I was treating the meter as an, ''exposure needle'' than a guide for shutter speed. I believe that may be the cause of the blurriness in some images as lower the number?

I wanted to test F1.4 and disregarded whatever the needle read. And shot this flower reading at 500-1000. While other images lined at, ''15-60'' did not came out as visible. I guess what I'm asking is, '' the why'' and what exactly am I looking for in that meter/needle? If somebody can be kind enough to dumb up this up for me. I would greatly appreciate it. Thank you!

Attached Images

05-11-2020, 02:00 PM - 1 Like   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by sailom Quote
My process has been to, ''focus'' on the subject and then set the f-stop to match the, ''needle'' in the middle as highlighted. The camera itself has been set to Automatic with the exposure dial as 1x. I believe the error on my part being that I was treating the meter as an, ''exposure needle'' than a guide for shutter speed. I believe that may be the cause of the blurriness in some images as lower the number?
Welcome to the world of the "exposure triangle". Correct exposure* is usually indicated by by center-ing the needle as you have done. But remember that exposure is influenced by three things:

1 The film sensitivity
2 shutter speed
3 aperture.

If you use a wider aperture, you allow more light through the lens and you need a faster shutter speed to compensate. If you use a narrower aperture you allow less light through the lens and the camera needs a slower shutter speed. If the shutter speed is 1/30 or below you may need to use a tripod in order to prevent camera shake affecting your images. You will still see motion blur from faster moving objects. There is no way round this other than using a wider aperture (less depth of field) or a faster ISO film.

* "correct exposure will not always be correct. High contrast scenes can "fool" the meter. In your second image I imagine that the bright sun reflected off the white stonework on the left fooled your meter into thinking that the entire image was brighter than it was. therefore you have underexposed areas to the centre/right of the image. There is no magic solution to this. You can bracket the exposures or apply compensation to brighten the image, but you risk burning the bright areas on the left.

No-one said photography was easy
05-11-2020, 02:05 PM - 1 Like   #3

Download the ESII manual from either
Pentax Manuals
or
Pentax ES II instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

The procedure differs somewhat from the ES:

Set shutter speed to "automatic"
Set switch on lens to "AUTO"
Make sure the stop-down lever on the camera is down.

The aperture should stay open while focusing and setting the f-stop. The lens should communicate with the body and send the f-stop setting. The body should set the shutter speed. See the manual for limits.
05-11-2020, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #4
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above, the ESII manual has instructions specific to your camera. Assuming you are shooting with an SMC or S-M-C Takumar lens*, the basic rules go like this:
  • Always shoot with the auto/manual lens switch in the "auto" position.
  • While limited support for non-metered manual is present, the camera is designed to be used in auto mode. The shutter speed dial should be in the "Automatic" position for most shooting.
  • The meter/stop-down switch on the left side should only be used for DOF preview with your SMC/S-M-C lenses and should be in the down position for actual shooting.
  • The shutter speed scale in the viewfinder shows the metered shutter speed the camera will be using.

Steve

* There are exceptions listed in the manual

Last edited by stevebrot; 05-12-2020 at 08:07 PM.