Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
05-14-2020, 05:05 AM   #1

K1ii firing problem

Being new to full frame I’m not sure if this is a problem, but,
Using the 150-450mm lens quite often I turn it on , it either won’t focus at all for a while and display on back of camera keeps going blank.
Eventually it will focus and screen stay on but then the shutter won’t fire!
After a minute or two everything functions correct and shutter fires.
This doesn’t happen every time, just randomly?
I have recently updated the firmware to 1.04 but had the problem before the update.
I’ve tried with lens at150 and at 450 it’s the same.
I did have battery on charge last night, so fresh in this morning.
Settings, camera or lens?
Had everything set up for a kingfisher and gone before my first shot😡😡😡

05-14-2020, 06:04 AM   #2

I occasionally find that the 150-450 and camera body can be briefly "out of touch". How are you carry this combo? mount the strap to the body and the lens, to minimize stress on the mount. It's only if lazily picking the camera up without balancing my grip on the whole thing that the phenomenon ever happens. Yours sounds more pronounced, but it seems to be in the same ballpark.
05-14-2020, 06:22 AM   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Falcon Quote
Being new to full frame I’m not sure if this is a problem, but,
Using the 150-450mm lens quite often I turn it on , it either won’t focus at all for a while and display on back of camera keeps going blank.
Eventually it will focus and screen stay on but then the shutter won’t fire!
After a minute or two everything functions correct and shutter fires.
This doesn’t happen every time, just randomly?
I have recently updated the firmware to 1.04 but had the problem before the update.
I’ve tried with lens at150 and at 450 it’s the same.
I did have battery on charge last night, so fresh in this morning.
Settings, camera or lens?
Had everything set up for a kingfisher and gone before my first shot😡😡😡
As I read it, it has nothing to do with full frame and being new to it. And yes it is problem, probably one (or more) bad contact(s). So probably a problem of both.
05-14-2020, 06:54 AM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks for feedback, I use a sling type harness which is attached to the lens, gives it a nice balance and doesn’t put stress on the connection.
As @AfterPentax said (probably bad contacts) yes this is like it’s a loose electrical connection with the way it all goes blank and then back on again,
I have physically checked all lens and body contacts, they all seem clean and ok.
If it keeps haening I will contact Pentax, really hoping it’s not a fault though.

05-14-2020, 08:26 AM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Even if they look clean rub them with some alcohol. Alternatively try to tighten the screws both in the body and the lens.
05-14-2020, 11:27 AM   #6

Original Poster
Cleaned pins with alcohol.
Tightened screws in body and lens 1/8th turn max.
Neither of the above worked,
So did a bit of testing and took a video of what is happening,
Supporting by the lens bracket and firm grip it powers on then its hit or miss whether the shutter fires, normally does when horizontal or on its side but
Point it down or upside down and shutter won’t fire at all.
Tried lens on my K5 and it works flawlessly, put it back on K1ii and its then hit and miss if it works.
So something has to go back, ? Body, ? Lens or both.
The fact that the lens works fine on the K5 makes me think it’s the body that needs returning? What do you think ?
As soon as video uploads to YouTube I can copy the link over, about 4minutes long but had the go pro on the table while I tested lens and bodies.
Only had this a week so can get a replacement body but lens out of stock?could be a long wait.
05-14-2020, 12:55 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I suggest you return the lens to the dealer for a replacement

05-14-2020, 03:51 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Does any other lens do this on your K-1 II? Did you buy both lens and camera at the same time? Strange that the lens works fine with the K-5.
05-15-2020, 01:45 AM   #9

Original Poster
Right more testing done.
Cleaned all contacts again and inspected under magnification, all looked ok.
On the K5 I tried the 150-450mm, 400mm, 50-300mm, 18-135mm and 100mm macro, all lenses worked perfectly in manual and auto.
Tried the same lenses on the K1Mkii and they all work until they are pointing below the horizontal, then it only occasionally will fire the shutter/or focus.
This problem is actually worse today on all lenses.
This leads me to conclude K1Mkii camera fault.
05-15-2020, 02:18 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This leads me to conclude K1Mkii camera fault
You have probably tried this already but does it make any difference whether you have set manual or auto focus ? ie it is not a problem relating to the camera not firing because AF has not been achieved ?

Otherwise it does sound like a camera fault.
05-15-2020, 03:29 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
You have probably tried this already but does it make any difference whether you have set manual or auto focus ? ie it is not a problem relating to the camera not firing because AF has not been achieved ?

Otherwise it does sound like a camera fault.
Yes! Tried all settings on both cameras and on all lenses.
Actually thinking about it, this has been happening from day one! But more so with the 150-450mm, now it’s all of them,
I thought first of all that ( not being familiar with the K1) I had something set wrong but no so.
Will be sending body back to amazon uk for direct replacement.
When it’s all working it’s a lovely camera, the lens is absolutely superb and I’m now glad I stuck with Pentax for my upgrade,
Believe me I was tempted by some of the others on the market but the whole feel of this bit of kit was made for me!.😁👍
05-15-2020, 03:43 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Yes! Tried all settings on both cameras and on all lenses.
Actually thinking about it, this has been happening from day one! But more so with the 150-450mm, now it’s all of them,
I thought first of all that ( not being familiar with the K1) I had something set wrong but no so.
Will be sending body back to amazon uk for direct replacement.
When it’s all working it’s a lovely camera, the lens is absolutely superb and I’m now glad I stuck with Pentax for my upgrade,
Believe me I was tempted by some of the others on the market but the whole feel of this bit of kit was made for me!.😁👍
Sounds like a body problem. Replacement seems the best option. Good luck!
05-15-2020, 06:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

When you said the DFA 150-450mm worked flawlessly on your K-5, I suspected you had received a defective camera. Glad you have confirmed this to be the case, as your getting a replacement for your recently-purchased K-1 II through Amazon should be no problem. At least you have been able to also confirm your satisfaction with the camera's design and feel!
05-15-2020, 06:36 AM   #14

Original Poster
Have to contact Pentax first but they want the Sn: where the heck do I find that!
Pentax site doesn’t say where it is.
Entered the 7 digit No from bottom of camera they say it’s invalid ??

Last edited by Falcon; 05-15-2020 at 07:41 AM.
05-15-2020, 08:51 AM - 1 Like   #15
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Have to contact Pentax first but they want the Sn: where the heck do I find that!
Pentax site doesn’t say where it is.
Entered the 7 digit No from bottom of camera they say it’s invalid ??
7 digit number on the bottom of the camera. It will also be on the guarantee slip that came in the camera box. That may have a suffix or prefix. send them a copy of that.