Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-22-2020, 09:37 AM   #1
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Software problem digital utility 5

I have been using Ricoh S-SW168 digital utility 5 for editing pics for a year or more. The other day I started getting a screen with no control ribbon across the top. The ribbon would threaten to load then disappear, although the shot 'opened with' , opens no problem. Uninstalled the program and reloaded, same problem. It may not be a software glitch but a computer problem. Is anyone familiar with this? Oh yes, I had added the amended bit of software from the Ricoh site.

05-22-2020, 04:43 PM   #2

Are you on Windows? I don't have DCU installed currently on my system but here are settings files stored in the appdata and/or ProgramData folders that doesn't get deleted when you uninstall. These files can get corrupted too. Check in these folders for a DCU or DigitalCameraUtility folder (the name is usually but not always obvious). Rename or delete the folder. You may need to do this as an administrator.

A quick way to access the appdata folder is to press windows key+r and type in the run box "shell:appdata" (without quotes.

Edit: Path C:\Users\[username]\appdata\local\Pentax\ the shortcut above will take you to the roaming directory. Go up one level (appdata) and open local\Pentax

Last edited by Not a Number; 05-22-2020 at 07:17 PM.
05-23-2020, 05:41 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by joerotheray Quote
The ribbon would threaten to load then disappear, although the shot 'opened with' , opens no problem. Uninstalled the program and reloaded, same problem.
I had the exact problem. It was frustrating and only cured when I did everything outlined by Not a Number which did not solve the problem until I also removed the App keys from the windows registry. I used an app to backup and edit the registry, but it was quite a while ago and can't recall which. It allowed me to search for any line that included DCU, "digital camera utility", etc and delete those references.
05-23-2020, 07:08 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by rogerstg Quote
I had the exact problem. It was frustrating and only cured when I did everything outlined by Not a Number which did not solve the problem until I also removed the App keys from the windows registry. I used an app to backup and edit the registry, but it was quite a while ago and can't recall which. It allowed me to search for any line that included DCU, "digital camera utility", etc and delete those references.
Regedit run from the command line?

05-23-2020, 07:38 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Regedit run from the command line?
I don't think it's what I used because I didn't trust myself to not brick my system. I'm sure someone here with more knowledge can help the OP by outlining safe steps to take to accomplish the task.
05-23-2020, 08:45 AM   #6

For Windows download and install CCleaner (use the free version)
Download CCleaner | Clean, optimize & tune up your PC, free!
  • Backup your system or create a system restore point.
  • Uninstall DCU 5
  • Start CCleaner
  • Pick the Registry tool from the left pane
  • check every option
  • click scan for issues
  • Fix all issues - save the registry when asked
  • exit CCleaner
  • reboot
  • Install DCU 5

If this solves the problem you may want to uninstall CCleaner or go through the options and disable some of the background processes that just slow your system down. CCleaner is relatively benign and has never damaged any of my systems in all the years I have used it. There are other registry tools but I won't recommend them unless you know how to restore your system should something go wrong.
05-23-2020, 09:32 AM   #7
Pentaxian

For uninstalling software I use Uninstaller Pro - goes through registry and AppData / ProgramData as well, giving you the option to remove or ignore entries.