Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1

Photos: Gallery
Bellows m-42 in digital cameras?

Hello:
I am interested in buying a bellows, I had thought about this type of bellows:
PENTAX Bellows Unit (M42) reviews - Pentax Camera Accessory Review Database
Is there a problem using it with the K5-II or with the K-1?
I guess I will have to use an m-42 ring to Pk to attach it to the camera, does it touch on the camera body or with the ring is enough?
I have no experience with bellows, any advice you want to give me, it will go very well.
Thank you.

4 Days Ago   #2
Pentaxian

The first thing that springs to mind: do you have any/many M42 lenses? A K mount bellows would be usable with more lenses, but if the price is right the M42 bellows will work fine with M42 lenses.
4 Days Ago   #3

Original Poster
Hello
I have a pair of m42 lenses a Helios 44 M-6 58/2 and an Industar - 50-2 50mm.
With this alone, would it be better to buy a PK bellows?
Thanks for your time
4 Days Ago   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Depends on what you are going to use the bellows for. If I remember right it was designed to work with a 50mm lens so your Industar would work. But you can use it with any 42mm lens.

I think @wasp was just noting that if you have more k-mount lenses that you want to use it with then a k-mount bellows make sense. But there is nothing wrong with the M42 one if you have the lenses to work with.

Mine is the M42 version and it works fine.

4 Days Ago   #5

I recommend you download and read Murray O'Neil's excellent eBook on the Pentax Bellows
The Pentax Bellows eBook - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

He discusses using the various Pentax bellows with DSLRs including the m42 Auto Bellows.

I own the Auto Bellows and have used it on K10D prior to when this eBook was released. Here's what I found (some of which is also in the book):
  1. When using the Pentax branded K-mount adapter no matter how tight you screw the bellows into the adapter the adapter will still rotate ever so slightly in the K-mount
  2. The overhang of the prism housing gets in the way of the rear standard frame on the bellows preventing changing orientation between landscape and portrait without removing the adapter and camera from the bellows.
    The prism overhang may preventing mounting the K-1/ii
  3. Unlike the K-mount auto bellows there is no DOF preview button on the bellows.

Solutions:
  1. Use a third party m42-K-mount adapter with flange that uses the standard lens lock pin on the body
  2. Use short extension tube either K-mount or m42
  3. Use a cable release - a standard type will do - if the lens has an auto/man switch leave it on auto and close down the aperture with the cable. Use the lock on the release when taking the exposure. You are far less likely to move something than you would by using the auto/man switch.

Note: 1 & 2 will add extension.in almost all cases this should not matter unless you want to shoot at infinity with 100mm bellows lens. It will also through the measurement shown on the metal scale but you can always add in the extension from the tube(s) and/or adapter
4 Days Ago   #6

Original Poster
I appreciate the answers, in principle I wanted to have the bellows to m-42, but as I had no experience on the subject, the wasp companion's response made me think that in the future, the PK bellows would be more recommended, since we could use other lenses pentax.
*** One of my doubts, regarding the M-42 bellows is its connection to the body of a digital Pentax, I imagine that only with an adapter of m-42 - pk will it be enough to attach the lens to the body and that it does not rub on the body when put the bellows.
** I regret so much question, but my experience in bellows is nil.
Thank you

---------- Post added 05-23-20 at 08:35 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
I recommend you download and read Murray O'Neil's excellent eBook on the Pentax Bellows
The Pentax Bellows eBook - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

He discusses using the various Pentax bellows with DSLRs including the m42 Auto Bellows.

I own the Auto Bellows and have used it on K10D prior to when this eBook was released. Here's what I found (some of which is also in the book):
  1. When using the Pentax branded K-mount adapter no matter how tight you screw the bellows into the adapter the adapter will still rotate ever so slightly in the K-mount
  2. The overhang of the prism housing gets in the way of the rear standard frame on the bellows preventing changing orientation between landscape and portrait without removing the adapter and camera from the bellows.
    The prism overhang may preventing mounting the K-1/ii
  3. Unlike the K-mount auto bellows there is no DOF preview button on the bellows.

Solutions:
  1. Use a third party m42-K-mount adapter with flange that uses the standard lens lock pin on the body
  2. Use short extension tube either K-mount or m42
  3. Use a cable release - a standard type will do - if the lens has an auto/man switch leave it on auto and close down the aperture with the cable. Use the lock on the release when taking the exposure. You are far less likely to move something than you would by using the auto/man switch.

Note: 1 & 2 will add extension.in almost all cases this should not matter unless you want to shoot at infinity with 100mm bellows lens. It will also through the measurement shown on the metal scale but you can always add in the extension from the tube(s) and/or adapter
Thanks for your advice, I will read carefully the ebook that comments.
4 Days Ago   #7

One of the K-mount Auto Bellows would probably be a better option as you can easily get a m42 to K-mount adapter to use on the bellows. To use K-mount lenses on m42 mounts you would need to get an expensive custom made adapter or cobble one together.

You should still use a small extension tube particularly with the K-1/II.
4 Days Ago   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Wasp Quote
The first thing that springs to mind: do you have any/many M42 lenses? A K mount bellows would be usable with more lenses, but if the price is right the M42 bellows will work fine with M42 lenses.
I pondered this for a bit. I have owned my K-mount bellows for about a decade and despite owning a fair number of M42 and K-mount lenses, have only actually used a couple on the bellows with the major criteria being suitability (extension range 32mm -- 137mm), sharpness/contrast, and reasonable flatness of field.

I generally use my Pentax-M 50/1.7 or Pentax-K 55/1.8, but an XR Rikenon 50/2.0 from the shelf might do just as well as might a Super-Tak 55/1.8. Adapting an enlarger lens is always a possibility too. To be honest, when I was bellows shopping, it would have made no difference M42 vs. K-mount and I even considered Olympus.

Steve

4 Days Ago   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Gopersuel Quote
Is there a problem using it with the K5-II or with the K-1?
Regardless of mount, there may be a few other concerns that is not obvious. Both have to do with clearance. The first is that the rear standard base on some models* protrudes too far to allow a clean mount with some Pentax dSLR bodies**. The solution is to use a short extension tube as a spacer. The problem as well as the extension tube solution are visible the photo (lifted from a marketplace ad) of an Auto Bellows A below.

Not quite as obvious nor as serious is clearance for the lower camera body for the bellows rail itself. Bellows where both the front and rear standards are movable are preferred where working distance might be at a premium. However, if the rear standard is not tall enough to allow the camera body to clear the rail and slide forward, that advantage is lost. For example, on my Bellows Unit K, the distance from the lower edge of the mount flange to the top of the focus rail is 18mm. My K-3 only requires 9mm clearance, so there is no problem. I don't believe this is a problem with any Pentax dSLR with a Pentax-brand bellows, but it is something to be aware of.

Steve

* All Pentax (M42 and K-mount) auto bellows variants

** Known to me are the K-3, K-3II, and K-1

Last edited by stevebrot; 4 Days Ago at 12:58 PM.