Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2020, 07:36 AM - 1 Like   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax 43mm and AF

I bought a Used Pentax 43 mm recently and although I love the lens, I noticed that occasionally it was a kind of hard to focus. I would see the red Focusing-Point blink on the subject, then Confirmation (green light) at the bottom of the viewfinder would become solid, then I would hear a beep telling me its OK to press the shutter, right. For some reason and I'm not sure if I had too much Coffee that day, the Focusing-Point would suddenly jump out of focus(not by much) while the camera kept trying to focus before I had time to press the shutter, so by the time I hit the shutter button all the way down, the picture was slightly out of focus ?

To remedy this situation I began using the Back AF button on my K5 II and the problem went away. Thank god for that back button because I was thinking about returning the lens ! Since it doesn't happen often and since I got a work-around for it now, I'll save myself the aggravation. I just wanted to post this in case anybody has run into the same thing.

Last edited by hjoseph7; 05-23-2020 at 07:46 AM.
05-23-2020, 07:43 AM - 1 Like   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

BBF (back button focus) is one of those things makes you wonder why the camera isn't set up that way by default...
05-23-2020, 07:46 AM   #3
Pentaxian

I can have that happen when using multiple focus points like auto 5/9 which ever and also if the focus drive is on continuous vs single
05-23-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Aaron28 Quote
I can have that happen when using multiple focus points like auto 5/9 which ever and also if the focus drive is on continuous vs single
I was only using the Center Focusing point ? it could be that the camera was set for continuous focus without me realizing it...

05-23-2020, 08:20 AM   #5
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by hjoseph7 Quote
it could be that the camera was set for continuous focus without me realizing it...
a possibility ......as I have had that happen not paying attention to various settings I go through
05-23-2020, 08:31 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I was only using the Center Focusing point ? it could be that the camera was set for continuous focus without me realizing it...
Very likely. The way the camera works in AF-S is that once focus lock is achieved (green hexagon lit), it will not refocus unless you release the half press of the shutter button, and re-press it.
05-23-2020, 08:34 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are probably right. I just tried it today and had no problems. I do remember playing around with the Continuous Focus button . I probably never set it back to Single. Thanks, now I can breathe a little easier.