Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
4 Days Ago   #1

K-x main switch

I have recently become the owner of a little-used K-x, with a low shutter count of only 2500. The camera is just about immaculate and works perfectly well apart from a small issue with the main switch - sometimes I have to turn it back and forth two or three times before the camera will switch on. I am thinking that gaining access to the switch's contacts and applying some contact cleaner would very likely fix this minor issue.

My question is - how tricky is it to take the top off a K-x? Anything I should watch out for? Hidden fasteners, that sort of thing?

Thanks for any words of advice.

4 Days Ago   #2

It's not too tricky, but you will need to be careful. In addition to the visible screws, there are two underneath the rubber eyecup, one under the flash, and one deep in the battery compartment (as the K-x has an electronic release you'll need to either pop this up before pulling the battery, otherwise you can slide a bit of stiff paper into the gap to release the catch). Screws may be different sizes/ pitches, so keep them in order.

Once you release the top cover, be very gentle and lift slowly: there are wires and flexes which could easily tear with rough handling. I think one of the flexes can be unplugged (use a fingernail or similar to list the small flap on the connector). This gives some freedom of movement, but other connections will remain.

All in all, it's not too difficult, but you need to be methodical and aware of the hidden screws and flexes.
3 Days Ago   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MikeCG Quote
My question is - how tricky is it to take the top off a K-x? Anything I should watch out for? Hidden fasteners, that sort of thing?
See Repaired the built-in flash of a dropped K-x by myself. good news for some guys! - PentaxForums.com
2 Days Ago   #4

Original Poster
Many thanks, those photos were pretty much ideal.

I found that the body mounted contact for the main switch on my K-X was surprisingly dirty for such a low activation count camera. Contact cleaner applied directly with a cotton bud seems to have fixed it however.

2 Days Ago   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Next time you do this (could be sooner than you wish for) don't use contact-cleaner.
Those tiny contact-brushes and the surface they slide on have an ultrathin golden layer.
Normal contact-spray cleans dirt away but attacks over longer time the surface and leads to worse problems.

We had this in High-End-Audio with high quality volume-potentiometers, switches etc. and made sure, never to use contact-cleaner.
So you best use a earstick and isoprop. alcool.

I wrote in more detail HERE
Missed your post, read it only today.
1 Day Ago   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
Next time you do this (could be sooner than you wish for) don't use contact-cleaner.
Those tiny contact-brushes and the surface they slide on have an ultrathin golden layer.
Normal contact-spray cleans dirt away but attacks over longer time the surface and leads to worse problems.

We had this in High-End-Audio with high quality volume-potentiometers, switches etc. and made sure, never to use contact-cleaner.
So you best use a earstick and isoprop. alcool.

I wrote in more detail HERE
Missed your post, read it only today.
I always use WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner which is supposed to be just n-Hexane, IPA, and difluoroethane, rather than the generic type stuff which I understand can contain oleic or oxalic acid. So hopefully I haven't done too much harm.... Thanks for the advice though.
20 Hours Ago   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by MikeCG Quote
I always use WD-40 Electrical Contact Cleaner which is supposed to be just n-Hexane, IPA, and difluoroethane, rather than the generic type stuff which I understand can contain oleic or oxalic acid. So hopefully I haven't done too much harm.... Thanks for the advice though.
Allthough I haven't used it myself, this new WD-40 sounds much better than most contact cleaners I know of.

We had made many researches over longer times with highest quality switches, potentiometers (Alps for example) but also connectors.
Long term in most cases there was detoriation while cleaning just with IPA was the best (and no, not this nice british beer!)

The ON/OFF switch of all Pentax cameras is easy accessable if one knows how to open the body and feels fine doing so.
Anyway, next time you might have to open your K-x is when the thumbwheel starts making problems and then you know how to do it best.
Some spray contact-cleaner just from the outside to fix it, a very bad idea. There are regions within a DSLR which don't even desire homeopathic
doses of aerosols coming nearby!