Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
05-30-2020, 04:48 AM   #1

Need K20 firmware 1.00, 1.01 or 1.03. Where to find?

Hi,

I did a firmware update to v 1.04 on my K20D. Unfortunately, since then, I cannot acces the Menu anymore. Itīs just a black screen when I push the Menu button. If a press Fn key I can access the functions there, but thatīs it, but at least the screen is working.

My solution is to revert back to a prior firmware, but I canīt seem to find any of the firmwares available for download, only the current 1.04 which introcued this problem. I have tried re-installing v1-04 several time but this problem persists.

Can anyone help me with v 1.00, 1.01 or 1.03? I need the Mac versions. Of course I have contacted Pentax here in Sweden but I donīt get any support from them. Only advice is to send the camera to the only workshop they have left in Sweden for an uncertain period of time and they canīt event tellme the cost for that. Therefor I think the best solution is to try to revert back to en earlier version of the firmware by installing from my SD card.

Any other suggestions are of course highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

/Peter

05-30-2020, 06:25 AM - 1 Like   #2

Old versions are available on the Ricoh EU/UK site. The site now requires you to register an account and your camera now in order to get old version. This was changed last year because of "data leaks" (which had been going on forever). See the MyProducts section to register your camera.

My PENTAX community for PENTAX and RICOH camera owners - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S
05-30-2020, 06:50 AM - 1 Like   #3
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by Pukeuv Quote
Hi,

I did a firmware update to v 1.04 on my K20D. Unfortunately, since then, I cannot acces the Menu anymore. Itīs just a black screen when I push the Menu button. If a press Fn key I can access the functions there, but thatīs it, but at least the screen is working.

My solution is to revert back to a prior firmware, but I canīt seem to find any of the firmwares available for download, only the current 1.04 which introcued this problem. I have tried re-installing v1-04 several time but this problem persists.

Can anyone help me with v 1.00, 1.01 or 1.03? I need the Mac versions. Of course I have contacted Pentax here in Sweden but I donīt get any support from them. Only advice is to send the camera to the only workshop they have left in Sweden for an uncertain period of time and they canīt event tellme the cost for that. Therefor I think the best solution is to try to revert back to en earlier version of the firmware by installing from my SD card.

Any other suggestions are of course highly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

/Peter
SLR Pentax K20D - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S. Here you can download the old firmwares without registering an account. Did you try to reset the camera to factory settings? Hope this helps!
05-30-2020, 07:06 AM   #4

Thanks for the link.

Couple of cautions:

You may lose SDHC suppoert with earlier firmware version and may have to use a smaller capacity SD card.

Localized download versions of the firmware sometimes default to the local language for the menus (non-English). If this is the case the UK versions are in English.

05-30-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Not sure when SDHC support was introduced but I do know it was there by 1.03. That said, it may not like all 32GB cards. I have a Samxung GX-20 that's running firmware version 1.03, based on the Pentax K20D firmware*. I get consistent read errors with 32GB SanDisk cards (blue label) but it works fine with faster SanDisk Ultra cards (80mb/s silver label or 90mb/s gold label). That was one of the problems supposedly corrected in version 1.04.

*Samsung completely abandoned their Pentax-based DSLR's before Pentax came out with version 1.04 and thus never adapted it for the GX-20.
06-22-2020, 04:48 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by AfterPentax Quote
SLR Pentax K20D - RICOH IMAGING EUROPE S.A.S. Here you can download the old firmwares without registering an account. Did you try to reset the camera to factory settings? Hope this helps!
No, didnīt think about that. How do I reset it to factory settings? Thanxs!