Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-30-2020, 08:00 PM   #1

Pentax KP. Missing pics when importing to light room.

I’m importing photos to Lightroom on my iPad. Then when I go to look at the pics I took I’m realizing more than several pictures are just not there, gone. It’s really pissing me off. Any advice or known issues??? I’m shooting raw only and importing all raws.

Last edited by nautical_sausage; 05-30-2020 at 09:07 PM.
05-30-2020, 08:17 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by nautical_sausage Quote
I’m importing photos to Lightroom on my iPad. I then when I go to look at the pics I took I’m realizing more than several pictures are just not there, gone. It’s really pissing me off. Any advice or known issues??? I’m shooting raw only and importing all raws.
Are they still on the SD card ?
05-30-2020, 08:56 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have an ipad with Lightroom but I don't import directly from the camera to LR, instead to the ipad pictures. I do it that way since I'm also going to import the pics to LR Classic on the computer, which in my opinion handles files way better, including renaming them how I want and putting them where I want. Is it importing these pics to the cloud? How much space is available in the cloud if it is? Adobe only gives me a 20GB of cloud space. Could that be the issue?

Are you importing via a card reader or wifi? The wifi is kind of slow so maybe could create an issue. Have you checked the import settings to make sure there are no oddities? These questions may be out in left field, I just don't import to that version directly, and it's even odd from the picture folder.
05-30-2020, 09:01 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pschlute Quote
Are they still on the SD card ?
Negative. I have noticed that every time I put the card back In the camera after importing, I have to reformat it, erasing everything.

---------- Post added 05-30-20 at 09:05 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
I have an ipad with Lightroom but I don't import directly from the camera to LR, instead to the ipad pictures. I do it that way since I'm also going to import the pics to LR Classic on the computer, which in my opinion handles files way better, including renaming them how I want and putting them where I want. Is it importing these pics to the cloud? How much space is available in the cloud if it is? Adobe only gives me a 20GB of cloud space. Could that be the issue?

Are you importing via a card reader or wifi? The wifi is kind of slow so maybe could create an issue. Have you checked the import settings to make sure there are no oddities? These questions may be out in left field, I just don't import to that version directly, and it's even odd from the picture folder.
SD card directly into the iPad into Lightroom. Ill try to going into iPad pics first then and see if the problem still occurs or not, at least it will narrow it down if it does persist.

Last edited by nautical_sausage; 05-30-2020 at 09:08 PM.
05-30-2020, 09:51 PM - 1 Like   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Negative. I have noticed that every time I put the card back In the camera after importing, I have to reformat it, erasing everything.
This, you should not be having to do. It is possible that the card file system has been corrupted. Take care to always eject (unmount) the card before removing it from your iPad. That will allow the iPad to "clean house" before you yank the card. If you continue to have missing files, try using the format utility from the SD Association Web site to put the card in order, followed by an in-camera format.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

With any luck this will help.

Steve
05-31-2020, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #6

In addition to reformatting with the aforementioned SD association tool, also check for physical damage or corrosion on the contacts. Sometimes wiping the contacts with some isopropyl will solve connection issues that may also cause file corruption. If the entire card itself was ever subjected to high heat, moisture, or bending, then it could be fubar, or you may just have a dud. I've never used an SD card with an iPad, but I'd be surprised if pulling it out without ejecting caused any corruption, as storage devices nowadays tend to be hotswappable, and devices often disable write caching so that they can be removed with being safely ejected as long as data isn't currently being transferred.
05-31-2020, 09:56 AM   #7
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by StarTroop Quote
In addition to reformatting with the aforementioned SD association tool, also check for physical damage or corrosion on the contacts. Sometimes wiping the contacts with some isopropyl will solve connection issues that may also cause file corruption. If the entire card itself was ever subjected to high heat, moisture, or bending, then it could be fubar, or you may just have a dud. I've never used an SD card with an iPad, but I'd be surprised if pulling it out without ejecting caused any corruption, as storage devices nowadays tend to be hotswappable, and devices often disable write caching so that they can be removed with being safely ejected as long as data isn't currently being transferred.
I am afraid that you are wrong there. SD cards should always be properly ejected, they are not hotswappable like usb sticks/connections are. With SD cards pc's tablets and phones are often enough still writing or reading from the card. If you not properly end the activity read and write errors may occur. Sometimes you will notice that if you hotswap an SD card in a Windows environment auto-play does not work after doing so. That is of the read/write error you caused by hotswapping. You wrote "so that they can be removed with being safely ejected as long as data isn't currently being transferred." To be certain that "data is not currently being transferred" is the reason that SD cards should properly be ejected.

05-31-2020, 10:20 AM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
This, you should not be having to do. It is possible that the card file system has been corrupted. Take care to always eject (unmount) the card before removing it from your iPad. That will allow the iPad to "clean house" before you yank the card. If you continue to have missing files, try using the format utility from the SD Association Web site to put the card in order, followed by an in-camera format.

SD Memory Card Formatter - SD Association

With any luck this will help.

Steve
Thanks! Will try

---------- Post added 05-31-20 at 10:22 AM ----------

Brand new card in a brand new camera. I got the card at best buy instead of amazon cause I’m skeptical of counterfeits.

Last edited by nautical_sausage; 05-31-2020 at 10:25 AM.
05-31-2020, 11:00 AM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

...I've never used an SD card with an iPad, but I'd be surprised if pulling it out without ejecting caused any corruption, as storage devices nowadays tend to be hotswappable, and devices often disable write caching so that they can be removed with being safely ejected as long as data isn't currently being transferred.
As noted above, you are in error on this point. At issue are open file references to temporary files created by the host OS that are not in the card's allocation table as well as files that were on the card in the first place with open references. This is particularly true for Apple products, but also applies to Windows and *nix. The fact that one cannot eject a card that is referenced by any application should be a hint here. That said, recent builds of Win 10 do allow one to yank a card safely, but only if the card is not being written to.

Bottom line is that a sufficient number of users on this site present with problems with corrupt sd cards and almost all express surprise that they might want to do an explicit eject rather just yanking (like they do in the movies). Those of us that are religious in that practice tend to not have problems; at least, I can't recall any where that was the case.

Steve
06-01-2020, 05:48 PM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
As noted above, you are in error on this point. At issue are open file references to temporary files created by the host OS that are not in the card's allocation table as well as files that were on the card in the first place with open references. This is particularly true for Apple products, but also applies to Windows and *nix. The fact that one cannot eject a card that is referenced by any application should be a hint here. That said, recent builds of Win 10 do allow one to yank a card safely, but only if the card is not being written to.

Bottom line is that a sufficient number of users on this site present with problems with corrupt sd cards and almost all express surprise that they might want to do an explicit eject rather just yanking (like they do in the movies). Those of us that are religious in that practice tend to not have problems; at least, I can't recall any where that was the case.

Steve
I could have sworn OSX already had write-caching disabled by default the same way Windows 10 does now. I also remember hearing elsewhere that mobile devices typically did the same, but that may have been a bad source. Personally, I always safely eject my devices, and I re-enable write-caching in Windows because I want the better performance, but I'm surprised Microsoft was the first to make the big change to cater to the common denominator; that's normally Apple's ethos. Still, yanking an SD card might cause data corruption, but I wouldn't expect any physical damage that could permanently affect it.
06-02-2020, 09:50 AM   #11

Original Poster
So you can’t eject on an iPad apparently. Also I’ve noticed after I’m forced to reformat after I put the photos on my iPad, I have zero pics on my memory card but it still counts 900 plus pics, the entire number I’ve taken since I’ve had the camera and memory card. Is this normal?
06-02-2020, 11:19 AM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

So you can’t eject on an iPad apparently. Also I’ve noticed after I’m forced to reformat after I put the photos on my iPad, I have zero pics on my memory card but it still counts 900 plus pics, the entire number I’ve taken since I’ve had the camera and memory card. Is this normal?
What still counts 900+ pics; the iPad? Your camera will display an estimate of remaining capacity, but does not give you are shot count. As for the iPad not providing an eject function, the article linked below has some helpful suggestions...

How to safely remove a USB flash drive from an iPad? | Thomas' Miniblog

Steve
06-07-2020, 11:07 AM   #13

Original Poster
So I figured out something very odd. When I switch lens and take pics, all the pics I took with the previous lens are gone when looking through the pictures on the camera. So the issue isn’t transferring to light room. Any advice?
06-14-2020, 02:59 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

So I figured out something very odd. When I switch lens and take pics, all the pics I took with the previous lens are gone when looking through the pictures on the camera. So the issue isn’t transferring to light room. Any advice?
What you are describing should not be possible. You may wish to take a video clip of what you're doing with your phone and post that on youtube or similar and post the link to the video here so that we can see what you see.
06-14-2020, 05:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

I do not see how that can be possible. The review of photos taken preserved on the SD card, as seen on the rear LCD screen cannot be erased just by changing lenses!! In other words, you are saying if you take more photos with the same lens, the photos stay preserved, but if you take photos after changing to another lens, those taken with the previous lens are erased, or no longer available for review among those of photos taken. (!)