Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-02-2020, 03:35 PM   #1

Ricoh GR II draining battery overnight

Hello,

I wanted to experience the camera that you'd always have with you is the best camera. Especially interested in Snap shots. So far, I really love this camera.

So I bought second hand but unfortunately it is having poor battery issue.

Battery is brand new and genuine from Ricoh. Firmware is latest (V3.00). Factory settings set.

It eventually lasts no more than 2 hours. That could be ok but weird thing is that even if full battery is inserted, then left inside without even using it at all, it is completely drained overnight. Meaning like it's consuming power somehow even when powered off.

If anyone had similar issue that got resolved I'd be happy to hear
Thanks for your help.

Best regards

06-02-2020, 05:17 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the forum Peter. That sounds like a short somewhere. If you're able to return it to the seller for a refund that may be the best option.
06-02-2020, 05:46 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Peter777 Quote
So I bought second hand but unfortunately it is having poor battery issue.

It eventually lasts no more than 2 hours. That could be ok but weird thing is that even if full battery is inserted, then left inside without even using it at all, it is completely drained overnight. Meaning like it's consuming power somehow even when powered off.
I have suggestions but no experience with this exact battery and camera:
a) Did the camera and battery always have this poor battery life? If not, did anything change?
b) Do you have a volt or multimeter? If you don't leave the battery in the camera overnight, does it still carry a charge outside of the camera?
Batteries these days are 'smart' and have chips in them that can be defective even if it's new.
c) Where are you storing the camera overnight? Is it near any EMF sources?

Mark is probably right that it's the camera and if your firmware is all updated, it's mostly likely internal parasitic drain or a short in the camera.
06-02-2020, 07:59 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Several years ago I had a blackberry (crappy phone) with a good battery drain very fast when an RSA token was sitting on top of it. It was weird, but it happened. Maybe the RSA token had nothing to do with it, but I never put it together again, and it never happened with the phone again. No idea why.

06-03-2020, 04:14 PM - 1 Like   #5

Original Poster
Thanks all for the heads-up. I bought it from a seller telling me that he already had this issue. I thought buying Brand new batteries (one genuine Ricoh and 2 other compatible) would do the trick but it actually doesn't
I now have to remove battery from the camera each time I don't use it. It makes me have to set date and Time each time I power it up again.
The place I leave it when battery in doesn't affect how much battery would be drained.
Otherwise, apart from draining the battery when powered off, the camera just works great, able to shoot more than 250 pictures without a problem.