Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2020, 08:13 PM   #1

Film Winder Question

Pentax 67

Film advance level would wind through the end of the roll on counter 15 and I could continuously wind it to wrap the end the of the roll, this was consistent with 5 rolls of Portra 400.

On my last two rolls of Ektar 100, the winder becomes very taut once reaching counter 15. The winder is about half way through it’s cycle. The shutter is not cocked. Both times I’ve opened the film back to the film wound fully off of the primary spool. I’ve pulled the tab on the bottom and released the spool, upon doing so the advance lever has gone back to its starting position and operates consistent with a camera with no full in it. I’m hesistant to apply much if any force to the lever as I do not want to damage it further.

Curious to hear thoughts on this.

Thanks for reading!

---------- Post added 06-03-20 at 08:35 PM ----------

Also to add, both selections for 120/220 are set to 120.

06-03-2020, 09:02 PM   #2
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Do you have a copy of the user manual?

It is available at the Butkus site for download and suggested donation.

Pentax 67 SLR, Pentax 2 1/4 instruction manual, user manual, PDF manual, free manuals

Steve
06-03-2020, 10:10 PM   #3

Original Poster
In case anyone else runs into this issue,

I think I’ve solved it. When loading follow the manual picture exactly. I think when I was loading the leader was going under the tensioner as opposed to over it as shown in the photo in the manual. I’m not sure why or how this makes a difference.
However, I loaded a dummy roll and ran it through twice and it stopped my advance lever from sticking at the end. Then for good measure I loaded another new roll, same way, ran it through and it allowed the lever to continuously spin at the end of the roll. $20 well spent..
06-03-2020, 10:25 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tommycoldblooded Quote
In case anyone else runs into this issue,

I think I’ve solved it. When loading follow the manual picture exactly. I think when I was loading the leader was going under the tensioner as opposed to over it as shown in the photo in the manual. I’m not sure why or how this makes a difference.
However, I loaded a dummy roll and ran it through twice and it stopped my advance lever from sticking at the end. Then for good measure I loaded another new roll, same way, ran it through and it allowed the lever to continuously spin at the end of the roll. $20 well spent..
Welcome to the forum. Sounds like it may be the reason. After the 10th exposure (120), the winder/counter continues to about 15 as it spools the backing paper onto the take-up spool. After that it should continue to wind freely without cocking the shutter, the counter stops as there is no film or paper to drive it*. With the leader under the tensioner, it's likely the tape at the end of the roll jams under it, stopping the winder from spinning.

* Note: A useful check to verify you've loaded film correctly is the counter stopping on about 15, if it stops before then, you may have loaded the film beyond the start mark, cutting off or missing the 10th frame.

06-03-2020, 10:43 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Glad you figured it out, Welcome to the forum.
06-04-2020, 10:37 AM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by tommycoldblooded Quote
I think I’ve solved it. When loading follow the manual picture exactly. I think when I was loading the leader was going under the tensioner as opposed to over it as shown in the photo in the manual.
Yay! I am glad you figured it out.

BTW...Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Steve