Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-11-2020, 05:36 PM   #1

Pentax 110 auto overexposed photos

Hi guys,
I'm very new to this forum but I read it quite often. I'm not a good photographer but I'm not really new in photography.
I need your help to figure out what happened with my Pentax 110 auto , maybe you have time to look over the photos I attached and shed some light on this.
I bought a set of three Lomography negatives, Tiger, Peacock (green scale) and Lobster.
All three are ISO 200, I didn't remove the pin selector.
I first tried the Tiger, and because something was wrong with either the battery compartment or light meter, I had to open the back to take out the batteries to unblock the shutter.
I managed to get out of the film 5-6 photos (the rest probably got damaged while opening the back cover). All this 5-6 were well exposed and usable.
Now comes the problem :
I then put in the Peacock negative. Prior to this I blown the dust from behind the lens inside the camera and I cleaned better the battery connectors.
The camera worked this time perfect, the auto exposure worked at every shot, I could see green or yellow according to the conditions outside.
Actually I managed to get about 28 photos out of the 110 cartridge.
The problem is that all 28 photos are very unclear, unusable .
Could you please take a look at the attached photos and tell me your opinion.
Are they overexposed?
Wrong developing ?
I developed at a known big name which has branches in one of the big supermarket chains in UK. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to give names here.
I would love to use this camera again but the failure I explained and with the cost of processing , £25 pounds , I'm afraid not to waste the money and the negative again.
Thank you for your patience to read this long story.

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo 
06-11-2020, 06:02 PM   #2

Looks like double or multiple exposures. At the moment I'm at a loss at how this would happen with a 110 cartridge. Do you have the negatives? Do they show the multiple exposures? Perhaps the error was at the lab and somehow they scanned two sets of negatives at the same time.

Welcome to the Forums by the way.
06-11-2020, 07:13 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
Looks like double or multiple exposures. At the moment I'm at a loss at how this would happen with a 110 cartridge. Do you have the negatives? Do they show the multiple exposures? Perhaps the error was at the lab and somehow they scanned two sets of negatives at the same time.

Welcome to the Forums by the way.
Thank you so much for taking time to check the photos.
I do apologize, the double exposure effect is my fault, the attached samples are photos taken with my phone of the printed photos.
What looks like double exposure is actually light reflection from the gloss paper.
I have checked again the whole lot and they are not doubke exposed but extremely grainy at the extent that you cannot distinguish any details.
It makes me believe that the iso 200 film isn't what I should have in the camera, but again, I'm really quite to photography hence I'm looking for advice from you guys.
I'm not expecting super sharp photos but in comparison to samples I've seen on this forum my ones are really bad.
I will try to attach better samples.
I have another 110 Auto Super but would prefer to know first if anything is wrong with the 110 auto before I test the Super one.
06-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #4
Pentaxian

The ones with the overpowering reflection are hard to judge exposure with certainty. But let's look at #4 (parent/child). The highlights by the woman's head are the only thing that is boarder line of being over exposed in the highlights. Not too bad. I'd say acceptable given the rest of the scene. The darkest things like the woman's hat is not completely black so that's good. And her red sweater is nice in rich where it looks like there is no glare. So I'd say, no, not over exposed for average camera metering.

06-11-2020, 09:18 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A few things:

110 is a very small negative. What size are the prints?

110 has never held the film as flat as 35mm 220 or similar film standards.

Most supermarket processors were ok to mediocre when they were in their heyday. Processing these days is either bad or really costly or done by the photographer.

I honestly think 35mm half frame is as small as I would shoot and even then only for snapshots.

My expectations of 110 are low however I'm not the expert on what you can achieve. I'd try some black and white and maybe try home development.
06-12-2020, 01:03 AM   #6

Looking at the Auto 110 user manual it only has automatic settings for ISO 100 or 400 so using a ISO 200 cartridge will either be 1 stop over or 1 stop under depending on which ASA the camera set. The ISO/ASA cannot be set manually. Either way can lead to increased graininess on the prints.
06-12-2020, 01:56 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by tuco Quote
The ones with the overpowering reflection are hard to judge exposure with certainty. But let's look at #4 (parent/child). The highlights by the woman's head are the only thing that is boarder line of being over exposed in the highlights. Not too bad. I'd say acceptable given the rest of the scene. The darkest things like the woman's hat is not completely black so that's good. And her red sweater is nice in rich where it looks like there is no glare. So I'd say, no, not over exposed for average camera metering.
Thank you for taking time to read my post.
Thinking of what you said, I think you are right, every photo looks actually well expose, possibly 1 stop over or under. The colours are good too.
What makes them unbearable is the amount of grain or noise. I should probably change the name of the thread to '' to grainy photos''.
I re attached three better samples to express this noise/grain. To mention that this noise/grain is very consistent to all 28 photos in the same amount.
I also attached two samples, the last two, from the first negative when I got only 6-7 photos but really good quality so you understand why I think on the 2nd negative something went wrong.

---------- Post added 06-12-20 at 02:08 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
A few things:

110 is a very small negative. What size are the prints?

110 has never held the film as flat as 35mm 220 or similar film standards.

Most supermarket processors were ok to mediocre when they were in their heyday. Processing these days is either bad or really costly or done by the photographer.

I honestly think 35mm half frame is as small as I would shoot and even then only for snapshots.

My expectations of 110 are low however I'm not the expert on what you can achieve. I'd try some black and white and maybe try home development.
The prints are standard small 5 x 4 inches. I am aware if I chose larger prints the quality decreases.
I have used the same lab where I got 6-7 good photos from the Tiger negative.
I wonder if the Tiger and the other ones- Peacock and Lobster need same developing process or maybe there are different chemicals needed. Maybe I should have told the Lab what type of film is?
I intend to try some home developing but first I want to make sure the camera works fine and I have the right negative for it.
Thank you for taking time to read !

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
Nokia 6.1  Photo     
06-12-2020, 03:06 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I guess it is the film. The Peacock is a slide film intended for X-development. And as you can see at the lomography site, the grain is always visible.

Sorry, german website (Peacock X-Pro Slide 110 ISO 200 · Lomography Online-Shop). Klick the photos to enlarge.
This is not a film I would recommend for every day use or for testing a camera.

I would stick to the Tiger or the Orca (B&W) with the Auto 110.
06-12-2020, 03:32 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Papa_Joe Quote
I guess it is the film. The Peacock is a slide film intended for X-development. And as you can see at the lomography site, the grain is always visible.

Sorry, german website (Peacock X-Pro Slide 110 ISO 200 · Lomography Online-Shop). Klick the photos to enlarge.
This is not a film I would recommend for every day use or for testing a camera.

I would stick to the Tiger or the Orca (B&W) with the Auto 110.
Great info, thank you. i guess it is the film and being already a grainy negative and not the correct ISO for the Pentax 110 the grain could be even more amplified. Do you know if the RED scale negative ''Lobster'' has the same grain effect? This later one is the one I was in doubt to test or not but after reading your advice I will probably leave it aside and order another Tiger negatives and some Orca. The cost of processing the film at a lab is very high and I want to keep to a minimum the trial/error until i will start doing them myself.
I will keep the post updated once I receive the Tiger ones but it will take a while.
06-12-2020, 07:09 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I haven’t shot the other two film types but the Tiger looks about what you can expect from 110 film. Although I do get small pin prick size light leaks through the backing paper.
06-12-2020, 11:42 AM   #11
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The auto 110 has the setting switch for fast or slow film being ISO 80 or ISO 320 as a slight over exposure for 100 or 400 film wasn't too bad. However when you stick the ISO 200 film in it it will be over exposed as I believe that the auto 110 is treating it as ISO 80 so that would be a 1.3 stop over exposure. I've only shot the Orca which is ISO 100 in mine so I haven't had that problem but have wanted to try out the Metropolis since that looks fun. I guess it it time to place an order and also get the scanner mask.
06-12-2020, 01:59 PM   #12

Some of the reviews I seen say the quality control on the TIger seems very inconsistent with lots of variation on color quality. Also noted are the pinholes in backing.

FWIW: the Minolta 110s have a up to +/- 2 EV adjustment. The ISO is set by the cartridge and only 100 & 400 are supported. The Mark 1 is sort of a hybrid between a typical Kodak type 110 and bridge camera. The Mark 2 is a miniature bridge camera. Lens are not interchangeable but are zooms.