Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2020, 03:13 PM - 1 Like   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Questionable *ist D works just fine!

A week+ ago, I asked the collective wisdom here if they thought a questionable *ist D offered on Ebay was worth taking a chance on: Is this ist D likely to work? - PentaxForums.com

Despite a few warnings and with some encouragement as well, I bought it, and it arrived quickly. After figuring out how to power it up (it just didn't like regular AA or NiMH batteries, so I went external), it works just fine. Other than the cracked view screen, it's A-OK as near as I can tell. Apparently, as some of us suspected, the seller had not tried it with a proper lens or had not activated the proper lens/shutter release mode.

And, miracles can happen: I thought I had some old CF cards, but I guess I sold them on Ebay eons ago, so I was wondering where to get a card to test it. But, the camera came with a 2 GB card in it!!

Now, I'm waiting for some JIS screwdrivers to arrive so I can get inside it and attack the Bayer filter.

The goal here is to get a monochrome camera for my spectrograph. Attached is a spectrum of a CFL bulb that I took with it - you can see why CFls might not be the best light source for good color imaging!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-1  Photo 
06-18-2020, 04:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Great to hear and I'll post so I can follow.
Very curious to see how removing the silicon will perform and final test on the spectrograph.
Do you plan on full spectrum or reinstalling the hot mirror for just visible?

Last edited by pcrichmond; 06-18-2020 at 04:27 PM. Reason: added question
06-18-2020, 05:34 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Glad it worked out for you. I had the exact same experience. About a month ago I purchased, for the aperture solenoid, a *ist DL on ebay, described as not working, parts only, memory card errors, and auto focus not working. When I got it I put fresh lithium batteries in, a 2gb sd card, and attached a DA16-45mm. Everything works fine. I believe there is a firmware upgrade that will enable larger capacity sd cards.
06-18-2020, 06:12 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by AstroDave Quote
A week+ ago, I asked the collective wisdom here if they thought a questionable *ist D offered on Ebay was worth taking a chance on: Is this ist D likely to work? - PentaxForums.com

Despite a few warnings and with some encouragement as well, I bought it, and it arrived quickly. After figuring out how to power it up (it just didn't like regular AA or NiMH batteries, so I went external), it works just fine. Other than the cracked view screen, it's A-OK as near as I can tell. Apparently, as some of us suspected, the seller had not tried it with a proper lens or had not activated the proper lens/shutter release mode.

And, miracles can happen: I thought I had some old CF cards, but I guess I sold them on Ebay eons ago, so I was wondering where to get a card to test it. But, the camera came with a 2 GB card in it!!

Now, I'm waiting for some JIS screwdrivers to arrive so I can get inside it and attack the Bayer filter.

The goal here is to get a monochrome camera for my spectrograph. Attached is a spectrum of a CFL bulb that I took with it - you can see why CFls might not be the best light source for good color imaging!
why do you need to “attack” the filter. I would think you cam use it as is and as I mentioned in your first thread this body can do things many later cameras cant

06-18-2020, 06:29 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
why do you need to “attack” the filter. I would think you cam use it as is and as I mentioned in your first thread this body can do things many later cameras cant
I agree that the *ist D does some things that more modern cameras do not - I do wonder why this functionality has been lost!

However, I want a monochrome camera (that doesn't cost thousands of dollars). As I alluded to in my original posting, I've made a spectrograph and I want to see what the spectrum of various light sources (CFL and various LEDs) is. If I use my, say, K-1, the result is affected by the color response of the camera via the Bayer filter. As photoptimist suggested, I have made some efforts to calibrate the camera color response by assuming things like a black body spectrum from incandescent bulbs, but there are still questions in my mind. If I can go monochrome, most of that should be resolved. Yeah, I may wreck an otherwise functional camera, but .... . There seems to be many of these available (and for real photography, the 36 MP of my K1 is a heck of a lot better than the 6 MP of the *ist D).

If you want a 6 MP camera. let me know ASAP!!
06-19-2020, 02:21 AM   #6

I agree that the *ist D does some things that more modern cameras do not - I do wonder why this functionality has been lost!

However, I want a monochrome camera (that doesn't cost thousands of dollars). As I alluded to in my original posting, I've made a spectrograph and I want to see what the spectrum of various light sources (CFL and various LEDs) is. If I use my, say, K-1, the result is affected by the color response of the camera via the Bayer filter. As photoptimist suggested, I have made some efforts to calibrate the camera color response by assuming things like a black body spectrum from incandescent bulbs, but there are still questions in my mind. If I can go monochrome, most of that should be resolved. Yeah, I may wreck an otherwise functional camera, but .... . There seems to be many of these available (and for real photography, the 36 MP of my K1 is a heck of a lot better than the 6 MP of the *ist D).

Pentax *ist D IR Mod - Enzo's Home is a detailed stripdown of the *istD to carry out an IR mod which might be useful. It doesn't cover the Bayer array though.
06-19-2020, 03:59 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums

No thanks, I have one and still use it, along with a K10, K7, K5 And K1

The *istD is used today with legacy lenses
06-19-2020, 05:34 AM   #8
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by steephill Quote
Pentax *ist D IR Mod - Enzo's Home is a detailed stripdown of the *istD to carry out an IR mod which might be useful. It doesn't cover the Bayer array though.
Yep - I had that bookmarked already. I emailed him to ask whether he had ever tried to remove a Bayer filter as well, but no response so far.

QuoteOriginally posted by pcrichmond Quote
Do you plan on full spectrum or reinstalling the hot mirror for just visible?
Current plan (hope!) is to just remove everything from in front of the actual sensor. Maybe I should put the IR filter back in, to help keep the focus about where it should be.

06-19-2020, 09:17 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Current plan (hope!) is to just remove everything from in front of the actual sensor. Maybe I should put the IR filter back in, to help keep the focus about where it should be.
I was curious about this due to focus shift from IR and UV.
The more I look at your CFL result I'm not surprised.
Would really like to see what comes around with various LEDs, especially in the red side of the bandwidths.