Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-19-2020, 07:51 PM   #1

Clean lens element

Hi!
-
I was looking for some advice/help to clean the rear elements of my Tamron 28-135 F4 model 28A.

I noticed the element behind the outside rear element, if that makes sense, it's hazy but for the life of me I can't remove the rear element. I bought this lens from eBay and when I got it I noticed the rear element had no retainer clip, so I figured it was glued or something, after more careful inspection I noticed the haze.

I've tried removing it using a suction cup and although it spins almost freely it doesn't come out, I have a feeling that in order to get to it I have to disassemble the lens from the front which sounds super daunting already. I also tried applying some heat thinking that will soften the "glue" but later found out from eBay there are many others out there (same 28A model) that have no retainer ring. Can anybody please help me?

06-20-2020, 01:43 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Have you tried to unscrew the black cylinder. My guess is that you remove the whole rear glas element that way and can then dismember the glas elements.
06-20-2020, 04:41 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by othar Quote
Have you tried to unscrew the black cylinder. My guess is that you remove the whole rear glas element that way and can then dismember the glas elements.
Hi,

I haven't tried that yet, but I have thought about it too, it looks like I need to remove the whole mount. You might be onto something here, I noticed when I tilt the lens to different angles if I remove the rear element there are no points on where I can use my lens spanner inside, so it must be on the other side of the element group. I'll give this a try a report back.

Thanks
06-20-2020, 04:51 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Try gripping the round black piece with a rubber jar lid remover or even a thick rubber band.
You should be able to get the lens or lens group out.
I wouldn't try going in from the front to get to the rear element(s)

06-20-2020, 06:27 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Elessar_lad Quote
it looks like I need to remove the whole mount.
It probably will be easier to grab the black cylinder when there is more space to do so, but I think you should be able to unscrew it without removing the mount.
06-22-2020, 11:15 PM   #6
Pentaxian

I almost never mess with zooms as they are always a major headache and construction can be complex. If were looking at your one I would take a look at that rear black cylinder around the rear lens. Does it look like it might unscrew or does it form part of the back plate. If it looks like it may unscrew but just wont then you coukd try a small dab of isoprop around the join, and thats a small dab as you dont want any leaking into the lens and then heat around the rear cylinder with a hair dryer, it will probably need to get quite hot of its been lacquered or glued in. Give the isoprop a good 15 mins to work first.
Then try using a rubber stopper to remove, cover the lens itself first so its not marred by the stopper, the coatings can be quite soft on old lenses.

It will be a risk, it always is with old glass.
07-07-2020, 09:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Hi!

Thank you for all the good suggestions. I was able to unscrew the black cylinder and the retaining ring was inside, then I was able to clean the elements. I don't know why I didn't try that.

As you mentioned, @Astro-Baby, the zoom lenses can be a pain in the butt... I learned my lesson now. One of the screws of the black cylinder fell inside the lens..... it got stuck in the push-pull inner rings/mechanism, now I can't use the zoom ring. Epic fail. I'll take my time to figure out how to go from here.

Thank you all.