Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
06-23-2020, 02:37 PM   #1

Pentax SFX (SF1) all lcd elements are constantly active

When the battery is connected (no matter, if the camera is turned on or not) all the segments of the LCD are constantly activated. It doesn't react on any button press.

Has anyone encountered such a problem before or knows a solution ?

06-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you tried it with a different battery? Mine did that once and it was a dud battery.
06-23-2020, 05:11 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I think a real solution might be to have the camera professionally examined and serviced, given its age (c. 1987). Displays frequently turn up with faults that are age-related and these generally are not user-serviceable. In my own experience with old cameras using LCDs (chiefly early Canon EOS SLRs), it was usually the display driver or allied circuit that was at fault and required replacement. Keep in mind that the cost of service of these old, early generation electronic cameras can exceed the net value of the camera itself. Have it examined all the same.
06-23-2020, 05:58 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Silent Street Quote
I think a real solution might be to have the camera professionally examined and serviced, given its age (c. 1987). Displays frequently turn up with faults that are age-related and these generally are not user-serviceable. In my own experience with old cameras using LCDs (chiefly early Canon EOS SLRs), it was usually the display driver or allied circuit that was at fault and required replacement. Keep in mind that the cost of service of these old, early generation electronic cameras can exceed the net value of the camera itself. Have it examined all the same.
With SFX and the (slightly nicer) SFXn models selling for between $20 and $100 for a working body, servicing is seldom cost-effective with these models. I love the SFXn and I have around 5 or 6 of them.

06-23-2020, 10:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
I love the SFXn and I have around 5 or 6 of them.

Oh...Mark!!
No wonder there's a global shortage of these little snappers...
06-24-2020, 12:27 AM   #6
Unregistered User

QuoteOriginally posted by dpkdpk10 Quote
When the battery is connected (no matter, if the camera is turned on or not) all the segments of the LCD are constantly activated. It doesn't react on any button press.

Has anyone encountered such a problem before or knows a solution ?
I think Mark Jerling's advice is a good one. But you could also have a look at the contacts in the battery compartment. If you take out the battery then all segments are on as well? It means it got stuck in a kind of reset mode of the display. Removing the battery and putting a fresh one in or putting fresh AA's in might solve the problem. As it is a classic camera cleaning the contacts is not a bad idea as it has seen the sunlight outdoors in all that time, or maybe have been in a humid air. I own two SFX's one of the the n version. If you take out the battery the display should be blank.