Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-02-2020, 02:35 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
iOS 13.5.1 on iPad has hidden technical details of each photo.

I am used to summoning details - camera, lens, settings - at the click of a button, but PHOTOS on the latest iPad software does not bring up those details, which makes it difficult to enter a photo in a monthly contest.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.

07-02-2020, 03:13 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
How to view your photo Metadata in iOS 13 and iPadOS - AppleToolBox
07-02-2020, 04:12 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Or you can use PsX. Photoshop express, which lets you see basic meta data, date, aperture, focal length and camera
07-02-2020, 06:18 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Welcome to the barb wire walled garden of Apple.

07-02-2020, 07:40 AM - 1 Like   #5
Veteran Member

Sad piece of software...

I have been an Apple user for almost 30 years, going back to my first Mac Classic in 1991, right up to the MacBook Pro, iPhone and somewhat outdated iPad I use today and I have to say that Photos is the single most useless piece of software the company has ever come out with. Even if I wanted to find a place for it in my workflow, I have no idea what it would be because it serves no logical purpose that I can discern. You can actually do more with photos in Preview than you can in Photos.
07-02-2020, 10:52 AM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by 3party Quote
I am used to summoning details - camera, lens, settings - at the click of a button, but PHOTOS on the latest iPad software does not bring up those details, which makes it difficult to enter a photo in a monthly contest.

Can anyone help? Many thanks.
I updated to 13.5.1 but exif data is shown as before in the photos app. Just open the menue of the up arrow icon (don‘t know how it‘s exactly called) and scroll down to the menue item EXIF data. Select it and you‘ll see some Exif data - of course not all you can get using exiftools. Doesn‘t this work on your ios device?
07-02-2020, 11:12 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

The only arrow I see pointing up is the "share" button and I don't see EXIF as a menu item. Any chance of a screen shot? It would be nice to have some use of the app beside deleting photos. I do have LR mobile on the ipad and if the photos app did something it could be helpful.

07-02-2020, 03:59 PM - 1 Like   #8
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by southlander Quote
Welcome to the barb wire walled garden of Apple.
What are you talking about? "Walled garden" has no relevance to whether or not his default app will show him EXIF data.
07-03-2020, 05:48 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The only arrow I see pointing up is the "share" button and I don't see EXIF as a menu item. Any chance of a screen shot? It would be nice to have some use of the app beside deleting photos. I do have LR mobile on the ipad and if the photos app did something it could be helpful.
... and @3party, ...

An example - iPad Pro 10.5" first version. Below you can see an iOS 14.5.1 (iPadOS) screenshot.

The button I "surrounded" by yellow marker. When you select the button within the app Photos you get a menu panel showing the selected image, a horizontal button bar and some menu items below. Beneath the headline of the panel (in the example: "1 Foto ausgewählt") you can choose Options. If you select it, you get another small panel where you can switch "on" to show all photo meta data (if you like). Close this small panel. You're now back in the menu panel. I can scroll down and find the menu item "EXIF Data". You can see it in the screen shot. When I select this item I get an additional scrollable panel showing the meta data (top panel in the screen shot). Besides usual exif data you also can show a histogram and a gps map (if gps data is present).

I'm not sure - is this what you are looking for?

Last edited by acoufap; 07-03-2020 at 07:28 AM.
07-03-2020, 11:33 AM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by acoufap Quote
... and @3party, ...

An example - iPad Pro 10.5" first version. Below you can see an iOS 14.5.1 (iPadOS) screenshot.

The button I "surrounded" by yellow marker. When you select the button within the app Photos you get a menu panel showing the selected image, a horizontal button bar and some menu items below. Beneath the headline of the panel (in the example: "1 Foto ausgewählt") you can choose Options. If you select it, you get another small panel where you can switch "on" to show all photo meta data (if you like). Close this small panel. You're now back in the menu panel. I can scroll down and find the menu item "EXIF Data". You can see it in the screen shot. When I select this item I get an additional scrollable panel showing the meta data (top panel in the screen shot). Besides usual exif data you also can show a histogram and a gps map (if gps data is present).

I'm not sure - is this what you are looking for?
Thank you for doing this, it still does not work for me on iphone or ipad, When I hit the options I can turn on "All photos data", which states that it included all metadate (EXIF) when sending with airdrop. But it does not show it here. There's possibly another setting somewhere that is keeping it from showing, I'll have to search.
07-03-2020, 12:13 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Thank you for doing this, it still does not work for me on iphone or ipad, When I hit the options I can turn on "All photos data", which states that it included all metadate (EXIF) when sending with airdrop. But it does not show it here. There's possibly another setting somewhere that is keeping it from showing, I'll have to search.
Using iOS 13.5.1 you just have to scroll down the list until you find "Show Image Information".
When you open this option, you'll get several pages : Overview,Histogram, Location,Exif Metadata, GPS and TIFF.
07-03-2020, 12:55 PM   #12
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hmuehl Quote
Using iOS 13.5.1 you just have to scroll down the list until you find "Show Image Information".
When you open this option, you'll get several pages : Overview,Histogram, Location,Exif Metadata, GPS and TIFF.
Are you also using ipad pro like acoufap, or non-pro ipad? When I tap the "share" icon (i.e. a square with upward arrow) from photos, I don't see "Show Image Information" anywhere, see attached. 6th gen non-pro iPad, iPadOS 13.5.1.

@3party, @ramseybuckeye, I installed an app called metapho (?Metapho on the App*Store , which is linked from the article @officiousbystander posted above) and it works pretty well from inside photos. After installing metapho, you'll tap the "share" icon from photos, select "metapho", and the metadata window opens.

Another thing mentioned in the same article was to use shortcut, I didn't like it because it asked me to send some information to the outside server just for displaying metadata. (It's not impossible that metapho is doing the same, though.)
Attached Images

Last edited by kwb; 07-03-2020 at 01:06 PM. Reason: Attaching screenshots
07-03-2020, 02:01 PM   #13

press "edit actions"......
07-03-2020, 02:38 PM   #14
kwb
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Hmuehl Quote
press "edit actions"......
OK thanks, I already tried it without success but did it again just to make sure, see attached.
Attached Images

07-03-2020, 02:43 PM   #15
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I’ve found it

Start by looking at all your images and hit select in the upper right corner.

Select the image you want, make sure it has a check mark, then press the send to icon in the bottom left corner.

Scroll down and you will find view Exif data

At least this is the sequence in iOS 13.5.1