Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
11-23-2020, 01:38 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
So...small update on this problem. I sent the lens off to Precision mid-September, the repair status on their website showed only..."received." As it's been more than 2 months now, I called their customer service line to get some idea what was going on with the repair.

As has been my experience with a number of repairs through Precision, they really don't do a great job keeping one informed about status or change in status. I've sent lenses for repair and they came back inside 2 weeks and then like now 2+ months go by and the out of the blue the repaired item just shows up. I don't mean to sound negative on Precision but, helping to know what's going on is very helpful for planning.

So, speaking to customer service this morning I finally know what's happening. The repair of the auto focus required sending the lens back to the factory in Japan which - I'm now told - usually takes 3-5 weeks for a turnaround. So based on when it was sent (the end of September), it should be coming back soon. I note that my DFA 150-450 (which separated in 2017 into 2 parts) kinda went the same way (on turnaround time) as it too had to be sent to Japan.

Note: I post this info primarily for others who may have to deal with Precision. I suspect if I'd called them in October, I would have known this info sooner. YMMV

11-24-2020, 04:09 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Good luck and pictures with the soon repaired lens!
12-08-2020, 06:16 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by angerdan Quote
Good luck and pictures with the soon repaired lens!
Thanks, and just got notification that it's fixed and coming home this week. I HOPE it's back in working order. To be continued.
12-10-2020, 01:30 PM - 1 Like   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
Ok, just received my 560 from Precision. It works perfectly!

Note that it had to be sent to Japan for repair which they describe as:

A complete repair and return all functions to factory spec.

They also did a auto focus test, check, and recalibration and realignment.
and a General test, check, and repair all functions and systems.

---------------

Did know this long tube of a lens had all that stuff in it but, I'm a happy (albeit poorer) camper now.

Just for the record, this took 3 months. They said it's 5-6 weeks if they have to send it to Japan.

Last edited by blackcloudbrew; 12-10-2020 at 02:07 PM.
12-16-2020, 12:30 AM   #20
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Good news. This is one fine lens that should be used often.
But, mine does throw a scare once in a while. It wouldn't focus. The focus ring just wouldn't move. Even manual. I'll try remounting it and it will start working. But still one or two minutes of panic :-)
12-16-2020, 12:39 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by siva.ss.kumar Quote
Good news. This is one fine lens that should be used often.
But, mine does throw a scare once in a while. It wouldn't focus. The focus ring just wouldn't move. Even manual. I'll try remounting it and it will start working. But still one or two minutes of panic :-)

Good grief.
This is really a terrifying one to two minutes (photographically speaking)
12-16-2020, 03:26 AM   #22
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by termy Quote
Good grief.
This is really a terrifying one to two minutes (photographically speaking)
Tell me about it. I go with idea about photographing birds. And when I suddenly find I can't even manual focus (the ring wouldn't just rotate) in an emergency.
This happened when I went to shoot a Great Hornbill. Luckily unmounting and remounting worked then :-)
I also noticed that one of the SDM pin was bent and I have to keep press it before mounting again.
Overall, the quality control for this expensive is not upto the mark

01-04-2021, 08:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

Sad update. The AF failed for good (until it is fixed). Looks like one of the PZ/SDM pin (used for AF, I think) just came off. I don't know where it fell off. Hopefully it didn't go inside the camera (K70 which just came back from aperture block failure fix).
Problem with service in India is that shipping this lens is a risky affair. Have to plan to hand carry it to the centre when time permits.
Attached Images