Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-04-2020, 05:05 PM   #1

Light Meter LCD Issue

I bought a SEKONIC L-508 light meter to use with my newly acquired Pentax 67 mark ii with waist finder. It was listed as mint and delivered from Japan.

When I got it the 3rd digit in the ISO on the LCD was not showing correctly, it was all broken up. So, for example, it would say ISO 40_ instead of 400. I requested a refund and the seller agreed. But today I went to use it and the display was working fine.

So anyone know what happened? It seemed to fix itself without me doing anything to it. Should I still return it or keep it?

07-04-2020, 05:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
A lot of LCD displays use either a printed ribbon cable or a strip of layered elastomer to connect the circuit board to the conductive patches on the LCD panel. If the connection starts to peel away, some parts of the display (often at one end or the other) might stop working or work only intermittently.

You might find that press on the or twist it slightly that the display stops or starts working properly. LCD panel require such tiny amount of current that even a loose connection can work OK for a while. However, display connection issues like this tend to get worse with time. Maybe it will be fine for a while, maybe squeezing the unit with make it work, and maybe it will fail permanently.

Personally, I'd return it.
07-04-2020, 09:07 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Batteries? I don't know anything about that unit but other lcd units I've seen have dropped a digit when power gets low. Then later when batteries refresh from not being used the digit can bounce back. Maybe try fresh and worn out batteries and see if it can be repeated.
07-05-2020, 01:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
If you have a somewhat lengthy return policy with the seller, maybe you should keep it for a while and see how it performs. I recently purchased a Used 28mm AF lens that was supposed to be in perfect working order, but straight out of the box the lens would not auto focus. It would just make a loud thump ? I contacted the seller and requested a refund and he agreed. The next day I tried the lens one last time and suddenly it started to work. Has been working ever since. I took a chance and canceled the return, because the lens was really in Mint condition at least on the outside. I'm not sure what happened, it could have been condensation, or something got loose during shipping, but whatever it was it seems to have resolved itself (so far...) ?

07-05-2020, 03:58 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have owned two Sekonic L758DR meters, and the first caused a bit of grief in-situ when the internal (spot metering) LCD became garbled and flickered. This garbling was not reflected anywhere on the the external (front face) screen. But it was not able to be repatriated and the meter was quickly replaced (I was on the road at the time with no chance of getting a repair done). The second L758DR, arrived and has been in use continuously since 2013: it was never determined what the problem is, however, a similar glitch was experienced with a Canon EOS5 over several years more than a decade+ ago related to the display driver.

I would recommend that you return the meter to the seller, as the small anomaly you noticed may be a foretelling of possible future events that could come up at the worst possible moment.