Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 01:27 AM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The Tamron foot that fits the DFA 70-210 DOES have a tripod socket. I attach my Manfrotto plate to the foot - works great.
Thanks that gives another option if, as it seems, I can remove the Arca plate and replace it with a 200pl.

This Tamron support and the Manfrotto 293 (as I've mentioned above) will obviously add to the wind resistance, especially when coming from side-on, but I'll try the 293 as an option to try and reduce the effects. Maybe the collar will be next.

My plan is to use bungee straps to allow my camera bag to just rest on the ground (so it does not swing). Shield the lens with body brolly. Remove hood (maybe). Wait for a gap in the breeze etc. And I forget, take a photo I consider myself a "slow" photographer so I'll just be a little more so now ...

07-09-2020, 08:03 AM   #17
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
Thanks that gives another option if, as it seems, I can remove the Arca plate and replace it with a 200pl.
OK, I'm not talking about the Tamron collar foot from Ebay, but the "official" Tamron A034TM collar as found at B&H that costs too much (but I got it anyway). It has no need to remove the "Arca plate", as the tripod mount thread goes right through the Arca bottom of the foot. Just screw in the Manfrotto plate directly, no modifications of any kind required.

The Ebay foot that UncleVanya points out looks different from the "official" Tamron's collar foot, and may or may not have a tripod socket (it would be stupid not to, however).
07-09-2020, 10:57 AM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by TedH42 Quote
The Ebay foot that UncleVanya points out looks different from the "official" Tamron's collar foot, and may or may not have a tripod socket (it would be stupid not to, however).
Yes, I linked a 3rd party device since I couldn't find confirmation that the Tamron one had a tripod mount screw on the arca plate. Glad you could confirm it does. The eBay item included pictures of the tripod screw holes and in the detailed description you find it has both 3/8ths and 1/4 inch holes to fit nearly any tripod or plate with a tripod attachment. The existing arca plate doesn't appear to be removable on the eBay item. The idea would be as you had stated, screw the Manfrotto plate to the arca plate using the tripod screw normally idea to secure the plate to a camera.
07-09-2020, 11:02 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
This Tamron support and the Manfrotto 293 (as I've mentioned above) will obviously add to the wind resistance, especially when coming from side-on, but I'll try the 293 as an option to try and reduce the effects. Maybe the collar will be next.

My plan is to use bungee straps to allow my camera bag to just rest on the ground (so it does not swing). Shield the lens with body brolly. Remove hood (maybe). Wait for a gap in the breeze etc. And I forget, take a photo I consider myself a "slow" photographer so I'll just be a little more so now ...
The 293 is over 100 UK pounds and the eBay collar is less than $50USD... I personally would try the knock off collars first given the awkward setup of the 293...

I will also point out the arca plate isn't removed, you just add on the Manfrotto plate under it using the tripod socket on the plate.

07-09-2020, 11:31 AM - 1 Like   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
The 293 is over 100 UK pounds and the eBay collar is less than $50USD... I personally would try the knock off collars first given the awkward setup of the 293...

I will also point out the arca plate isn't removed, you just add on the Manfrotto plate under it using the tripod socket on the plate.
Thanks for the Arca point. I just purchased the 293 from my usual UK supplier for £63 UK pounds, so the equation got a lot more equal. Somehow I like the idea of supporting the lens and camera on one frame that's usable across different camera and (heavy/long) lens combinations. No idea if the air movements will be better or worse, or whether the contraption will wobble around on the 200pl plate on the head.

Keeping to Manfrotto has its pluses and minuses. I know Arca-Swiss fittings are probably better, but there are a few incompatibilities with Arca and I've multiple heads and cameras and I know what would happen if I used fittings that were not interchangeable. And anyway the UK government wants us to spend, spend, spend.

I should get the 293 tomorrow - I'll report back. What I need is calm day followed by a windy one. Fingers crossed ...
07-10-2020, 11:15 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
The 293 arrived. Cheapy smartphone photo attached.

It is easy to mount, feels very solid and is well engineered. The lens focusing and zoom are fully accessible.

First test done inside: with and without the 293 support - dropping a screwed up tissue onto the hood - viewing in LV at 16x. Result: without the 293 the LV image bounces far more than it does when the camera and lens is supported. Without the 293 the vibrations continue far longer too. The 293 dampens and reduces the vibrations.

This weekend, I'll see how it behaves in real life.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
Moto G (5)  Photo 
07-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Day 1. It is a noticeable improvement. There was a slight breeze, but with a few stronger gusts. I deliberately sought out places where the wind was eddying. In a set of around 100 images, there were none that showed any movement, not so with no support when many were ruined.

Fortunately there is no AF adjustment required - maybe there's a marginal front focusing, but at f5.6 to f11, where I'll be 99% of the time there'll be no problem. My copy may be slightly decentering, but again this only showed up on a brick wall test and it was slight. It does show marked deterioration after f11, but I expected it to fall off after f8 or so, but it is quite noticeable. No fringing showed up so far. Couldn't do this testing without the support earlier this week.

Overall, this Manfrotto support is doing its job very well. During the week I'll use the combination on a dawn outing to see how it handles and importantly how it balances and hinders carrying (or not). If anyone's interested in further feedback, let me know, otherwise I'll just get on and use it and stop playing with it ...