Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-08-2020, 05:36 AM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Supporting a longer lens

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have two Manfrotto heads (https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/x-pro-3-way-tripod-head-with-retractable-levers-mhxpro-3w/) that have a built in quick release construction to fit their 200pl plates. I have multiple 200pl plates attached to my cameras, so I'm rather trapped, but the Manfrotto system does work well enough for the gear I have.

However, to support a DFA 70-210 f4, I could try and attach the Tamron collar, but that uses an Arca fitting, or I could use Manfrotto's 293 telephoto support (https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/telephoto-lens-support-293/).

Anyone, any suggestions on how I might support this lens on one my two Manfrotto heads?

Many thanks.

07-08-2020, 06:02 AM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
is the support necessary?
07-08-2020, 06:40 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BarryE Quote
I have two Manfrotto heads (https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/x-pro-3-way-tripod-head-with-retractable-levers-mhxpro-3w/) that have a built in quick release construction to fit their 200pl plates. I have multiple 200pl plates attached to my cameras, so I'm rather trapped, but the Manfrotto system does work well enough for the gear I have.

However, to support a DFA 70-210 f4, I could try and attach the Tamron collar, but that uses an Arca fitting, or I could use Manfrotto's 293 telephoto support (https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/telephoto-lens-support-293/).

Anyone, any suggestions on how I might support this lens on one my two Manfrotto heads?

Many thanks.
Does the arca fitting on the collar have a tripod socket to attach the Manfrotto plate? If not the knock off collars on eBay do offer that feature from what I can see.

Lens Collar Foot for Tamron 70-210mm f4 Di VC USD Lens A034 A034TM Built-in Arca | eBay
07-08-2020, 07:13 AM - 1 Like   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
Possibly not, except I'm trying to reduce the effects of wind ...

07-08-2020, 07:16 AM   #5
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Possibly not, except I'm trying to reduce the effects of wind ...
gotcha - I just your other post about this issue and your thumb.....
07-08-2020, 07:28 AM   #6
Seeker of Knowledge
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
this article might be helpful

QuoteQuote:
Shooting Long Exposures Hand-Held
Member photographic article
By PF Staff in Articles and Tips on Feb 18, 2012
Shooting Long Exposures Hand-Held
Do you want to learn how to make the most of hand-held shots? Our first member-submitted photographic article, written by Heie, discusses four different techniques for holiding your camera more steadily, and, in turn, getting sharper photos! . . /

Read more at: Shooting Long Exposures Hand-Held - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

it was for me
07-08-2020, 10:11 AM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by aslyfox Quote
this article might be helpful

Read more at: Shooting Long Exposures Hand-Held - Articles and Tips | PentaxForums.com

it was for me
Thanks Allen, I'll take a look. Meanwhile I spotted https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/telephoto-lens-support-293/ which, if it works will give support and allow me to use my 200pl plates. I'll feed how it works ...

07-08-2020, 10:12 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

if you are trying to reduce wind, it is likely more important to put weight on your tripod than modify or change the mount point of the lens to the tripod, usually people have bags with straps already set up and you fill them with sand or rocks aquired locally to balast the tripod and ad stability
07-08-2020, 10:21 AM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if you are trying to reduce wind, it is likely more important to put weight on your tripod than modify or change the mount point of the lens to the tripod, usually people have bags with straps already set up and you fill them with sand or rocks aquired locally to balast the tripod and ad stability
Thanks, I've ordered some bungy straps to attach to my camera bag. The Manfrotto support gives me another option as the bag test I initially made only partially helped. Having options, seems the best idea.
07-08-2020, 10:30 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Manfrotto 293 lens support?

https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/telephoto-lens-support-293/
07-08-2020, 11:02 AM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Thanks John Just found that device (our postings crossed)
07-08-2020, 11:23 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
thats an option but a 70-200 F4 is supposed to be light, not the same as my sigma 70-200/2.8 that weighs 1.7 kilos
07-08-2020, 11:59 AM   #13
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Thanks Allen, I'll take a look. Meanwhile I spotted https://www.manfrotto.com/uk-en/telephoto-lens-support-293/ which, if it works will give support and allow me to use my 200pl plates. I'll feed how it works ...
I had the Manfrotto 293 long lens support. The only issue I had was it only supports 2.5kg, which was not enough for the camera/lens combo I was hoping to use it for. Also the strap around the front of the lens may interfere with focusing.

Phil.
07-08-2020, 12:16 PM   #14
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gofour3 Quote
The only issue I had was it only supports 2.5kg, which was not enough for the camera/lens combo I was hoping to use it for.
I saw that too in the specs – for the money I'd be looking elsewhere!
07-08-2020, 03:29 PM - 1 Like   #15
F/8 & Somewhere
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Does the arca fitting on the collar have a tripod socket to attach the Manfrotto plate? If not the knock off collars on eBay do offer that feature from what I can see.

Lens Collar Foot for Tamron 70-210mm f4 Di VC USD Lens A034 A034TM Built-in Arca | eBay
The Tamron foot that fits the DFA 70-210 DOES have a tripod socket. I attach my Manfrotto plate to the foot - works great.