Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-08-2020, 09:21 PM   #16
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lmiller2112 Quote
This popped up in my camera once I plug it in. Does it mean there is a ..scratch or something? I opened it up and checked multiple times very carefully- Nothing I can see or clean off is in the camera causing this.
Those samples are a different pattern than the first. If you have a second lens, does it show the mark with it too?

Steve

07-08-2020, 09:40 PM   #17
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
My guess is a cracked rear shutter getting stuck.
07-08-2020, 10:18 PM   #18
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Those samples are a different pattern than the first. If you have a second lens, does it show the mark with it too?

Steve
Looks similar to me. Note the pattern doesn't appear to be fixed in relation to the frame, some are more to the right than others. Turn the original frame that was shared onto the side side and it's pretty close.
07-08-2020, 10:35 PM   #19
Pentaxian

It looks like the kr shutter goes left to right.

07-08-2020, 11:13 PM   #20

Original Poster
When I kind of shake it around the shape moves around visibly through the Live View. I don't see how it could be a crack or scratch.
07-08-2020, 11:24 PM   #21
Veteran Member

When I kind of shake it around the shape moves around visibly through the Live View. I don't see how it could be a crack or scratch.
A very thin, fine hair maybe? Could be difficult to see. Did you try to blow the camera off with the mirror up? If you have the Pentax lolli pop (or similar) you could also try to clean the sensor.
07-09-2020, 01:32 AM   #22
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

If it appears on the images and on Live View but not through the viewfinder that suggests something on the back of the mirror which appears when the mirror flips up.
Have you put the camera in sensor cleaning mode ?
If it's a shutter problem then that wouldn't show in Live View.
If it moves when you shake the camera that suggests a physical object.
So as suggested above, camera in sensor cleaning mode and plenty of rocket blower and Pentax lollipop sensor cleaner

07-09-2020, 05:01 AM   #23
Pentaxian

I had some fuzz stuck to the back bottom edge of my mirror once. Caused something similar.
07-09-2020, 05:38 AM   #24
Pentaxian

This popped up in my camera once I plug it in. Does it mean there is a ..scratch or something? I opened it up and checked multiple times very carefully- Nothing I can see or clean off is in the camera causing this.
That looks like a big piece of thread/hair right on the sensor. If it moves around when in LiveView that's almost certainly what it is. Have you cleaned the sensor with the mirror up, (available in the service menu), as previously suggested?
07-09-2020, 06:31 AM   #25
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by roberrl Quote
If it appears on the images and on Live View but not through the viewfinder that suggests something on the back of the mirror which appears when the mirror flips up.
Good analysis. The underside of the mirror has moving parts that might have become dislodged. I am thinking the baffle materials on the back side of the secondary mirror used by the PDAF system.

Steve
07-09-2020, 06:58 AM   #26
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

That is really weird. The dust function is definitely detecting something so it has to be sensor related.
07-09-2020, 07:41 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
lift the mirror clean it with a lint free cloth, if it persist then check something is stuck to the shutter, if the dust function is detecting something then it must be the shutter, dangerous area, being the body it is worth attempting cleaning without opening, disassembly to clean the shutter, well u will loose ff setting at the least.
if its just a floater between the shutter and the sensor open the bottom cover and give some tap so that it falls off.
07-09-2020, 08:32 AM   #28
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sergysergy Quote
That is really weird. The dust function is definitely detecting something so it has to be sensor related.
That is the strange part. Dust detection is simply an extreme contrast capture and should have shown the large artifact.

Steve
07-09-2020, 08:39 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Several years ago I had something similar, although not as bad, the idea of working in a dark room made it visible

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Certainly looks like hair or something thread-like. Anyone have experience with hair on the sensor? If my understanding of optics is correct a hair on the sensor would probably leave a sharper, in-focus mark. The hair in the photos looks blurry and therefore somewhere in front of the focal plane.

Doing another cleaning is probably needed but first check to see if you can't spot the dirt or whatever it is. Work in a semi-dark room so your eyes dilate. Shine a flashlight into the camera and look at the mirror, sensor, mount, and space in-between. The hair or thread might be visible.
QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
The low light idea helped, I could see the small hair sticking up in the area in front of the sensor. I was able to use a spec grabber and move it without contacting the sensor. I appreciate all of the responses, they were all very helpful.
07-09-2020, 10:45 AM - 1 Like   #30

Original Poster
OOOOoooookay I know what must have happened. Careful because I'm about to get really technical with the language used. One of these little floppies here must have broken off and is just in the way of every shot. Tried to get it out/off myself because it's messed up either way, but I think it's just time to finally upgrade to a Canon that can work with my iPad. Bye 200-whatever-you-were, hello streamlined technology! Thanks for all the support though I appreciate it!
Attached Images

Last edited by Not a Number; 07-10-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: masked expletive edited