Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 10 Likes Search this Thread
07-09-2020, 10:50 AM - 1 Like   #31
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Looks like part of the shutter mechanism. Newer Pentax bodies support wifi btw.

07-09-2020, 01:47 PM - 2 Likes   #32
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by lmiller2112 Quote
OOOOoooookay I know what must have happened. Careful because I'm about to get really technical with the language used. One of these little floppies here must have broken off and is just in the way of every shot. Tried to get it out/off myself because it's messed up either way, but I think it's just time to finally upgrade to a Canon that can work with my iPad. Bye 200-whatever-you-were, hello streamlined technology! Thanks for all the support though I appreciate it!
Dang! That is part of the trailing (rear) shutter curtain. IIRC, the K-r is only rated to 50,000 actuations, but that is still unexpected.* Good luck with your Canon and avoid the Rebel models.

Steve

* Actually, that is the first I have seen such a thing on vertical metal shutter in the 50 years I have been shooting that class of shutter.

Last edited by Not a Number; 07-10-2020 at 03:08 PM. Reason: masked expletive in quote edited
07-09-2020, 02:11 PM - 1 Like   #33
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
You might try fixing or selling it. A shutter module is about $15 on ebay from a salvager.
07-09-2020, 04:06 PM   #34

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Looks like part of the shutter mechanism. Newer Pentax bodies support wifi btw.
How is the ISO on those newer models in low light in your opinion/experience? That's what turned me onto the K-X and K-R initially, but I was still getting a low definition with my K-R.

07-09-2020, 04:49 PM - 1 Like   #35
Veteran Member

The KP has amazing low light, high ISO performance and the K-70 is about as good based on everything I have read here. Even a KS-2 will give you a lot better performance in low light than the K-r. Look at the comparison tool here on the site, but the KP is probably what you want as it is better in every way than the K-r.

If you have to spend money on a new body, why not get something leaps and bounds better that uses your existing glass?
07-09-2020, 08:09 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How is the ISO on those newer models in low light in your opinion/experience? That's what turned me onto the K-X and K-R initially, but I was still getting a low definition with my K-R.
Fantastic by all accounts.
07-09-2020, 11:10 PM   #37
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
if you have a lot of quality lens then its hotel california, its one way, if u can afford check out sony.

07-10-2020, 12:10 AM - 1 Like   #38
Pentaxian

"Low light performance" is one of those factors that is in the eye of the beholder

For me, the "noise" in out-of-focus dark backgrounds can start to be noticeable, but not intrusive, at ISO 25600 when cropped 100%. The question here is : 'How often would you crop a 24megapixel image this hard?'

On the very odd occasion I've wanted/needed to use 819200 (or 102400 on the K-70) I've been grateful for the opportunity to make a record shot at a reasonable shutter speed. All the image stabilisation in the world won't help if the subject is moving about! At these light levels it's getting difficult to see the subject with the naked eye anyway, yet the camera will still focus!
07-10-2020, 01:13 PM - 1 Like   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by kypfer Quote
"Low light performance" is one of those factors that is in the eye of the beholder

For me, the "noise" in out-of-focus dark backgrounds can start to be noticeable, but not intrusive, at ISO 25600 when cropped 100%. The question here is : 'How often would you crop a 24megapixel image this hard?'

On the very odd occasion I've wanted/needed to use 819200 (or 102400 on the K-70) I've been grateful for the opportunity to make a record shot at a reasonable shutter speed. All the image stabilisation in the world won't help if the subject is moving about! At these light levels it's getting difficult to see the subject with the naked eye anyway, yet the camera will still focus!
What does "cropped 100%" mean?

I personally don't go over 6400 unless I want to do black & white and get a grain effect.
07-10-2020, 03:06 PM   #40
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote

Where the image is viewed at it's native resolution.
For example, if your computer screen is 1280x1024, taking a 1280x1024 selection from a much larger image and viewing this crop full-screen would be a "100% crop". It's at this point that no resizing artefacts have been introduced to the image by software so can be considered "as good as it's going to get". Not necessarily a goal to aim for, but a useful reference point, especially if making a series of test exposures at different ISO ratings of the same subject.
07-10-2020, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #41
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-r is a ten year old camera. Things can eventually go wrong with complex machines; I wouldn't say that was a reason to give up on Pentax.

A new KP will give you class leading high ISO performance and dynamic range. And you won't need to buy new lenses
07-10-2020, 05:01 PM   #42
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
OOOOoooookay I know what must have happened. Careful because I'm about to get really technical with the language used. One of these little floppies here must have broken off and is just in the way of every shot. Tried to get it out/off myself because it's messed up either way, but I think it's just time to finally upgrade to a Canon that can work with my iPad. Bye 200-whatever-you-were, hello streamlined technology! Thanks for all the support though I appreciate it!
There is a used K-R in the Marketplace for $90.

How much does the Canon system cost for a body, and lenses (or would you adapt your awesome Pentax lenses)?

Or, as others have said, upgrade. You could probably upgrade to a newer Pentax camera, a low shutter count K-3 or K3II used would still be less than a Canon.

The K-3/K-3II is a great camera.
07-10-2020, 05:50 PM   #43
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by leekil Quote
The same as "full resolution" (1:1 match of image pixel to display pixel).

Steve
07-12-2020, 10:13 PM   #44
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The same as "full resolution" (1:1 match of image pixel to display pixel).
If he'd said 100% crop, I would have gotten his meaning. "Cropped 100%" seemed a bit weird and I didn't get it.
07-20-2020, 07:30 PM   #45
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Dang! That is part of the trailing (rear) shutter curtain. IIRC, the K-r is only rated to 50,000 actuations,
It's actually rated for 100k. I was lucky with mine, in that it made it to 116k. That shutter is done, though. No doubt about that.

When I kind of shake it around the shape moves around visibly through the Live View.
I think this was the strongest clue.