Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2020, 01:30 PM   #1

dust or haze?

Hi all,

I recently moved to a more humid environment so am setting up a dry box. I took the opportunity to shine a flashlight through all my lens for the first time and I discovered this lurking in my 77 ltd, purchased used through Amazon a while back. It looks to me like it's primarily on the back of the front element. I'm wondering if anyone has any guesses as to whether it's just a heavy dose of dust, or whether it's rather haze. I'd also be curious to hear any views as to how much it might be affecting image IQ and whether it's worth trying to get serviced. I haven't noticed anything in my images myself.

(I hope the run and gun iPhone photos are sufficient for a diagnosis... if not let me know and I'll get set up to do a proper photo!)

07-12-2020, 02:14 PM   #2
maw
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sjwoodworth Quote
dust
Hi,

Not to put your mind at ease, I had a Takumar with the same kind of problem, but the photos weren't ruined at all, but it was mold,

in your case it looks like it was cleaned up in a dusty environment with little accuracy.

However, if you have a photo repairman in the area, have him checked.
07-12-2020, 02:27 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It looks like dust from the images you've shared. For a better idea, get a torch and shine it through the lens from the rear. If it's haze then you'll see it clearly as a blue/grey foggy layer.

If the lens is delivering good images then there is no need to spend money on 'fixing' it.
07-12-2020, 02:52 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maw Quote
Hi,

Not to put your mind at ease, I had a Takumar with the same kind of problem, but the photos weren't ruined at all, but it was mold,

in your case it looks like it was cleaned up in a dusty environment with little accuracy.

However, if you have a photo repairman in the area, have him checked.
Hi Maw: Just to make sure I'm understanding, is your thought that there was mold, and it was cleaned, but in such a way that left a ton of dust (and possibly the mold left some inner etching?) Or is the thought that the lens might have mold now? I don't see any sign of typical mold growth patterns --- just many unconnected flecks.

And thanks for weighing in, Haris. I wouldn't describe what I see as a blue/grey foggy layer; just a surprising number of point size obstructions (the flecks). Picture #2 is the best image I have of it at it's worst: torch at an angle to the lens from below, and the lens too is angled away from me. Think I'm with you that this isn't going to be worth a CLA, at least for the time being!

07-12-2020, 03:43 PM   #5
maw
Pentaxian

Giusto per essere sicuro di capire, il tuo pensiero è che c'era della muffa, ed è stata pulita, ma in modo tale da lasciare una tonnellata di polvere (e forse la muffa ha lasciato un po 'di incisione interna?) O è il pensato che l'obiettivo potrebbe avere la muffa ora? Non vedo alcun segno di tipici schemi di crescita della muffa: solo molte macchie non collegate.

No for mold I meant to Takumar.

In your case it looks to me like dust deposited inside between the lenses, that's why I told you 'if you have a lab or a photo repairer in the area it's better to have it checked'.
Although as HarisF1 says, it can work like that too.
But since it is a good lens, I personally would have it checked, briefly, I would regret it later.
07-12-2020, 03:51 PM   #6

Original Poster
No for mold I meant to Takumar.

In your case it looks to me like dust deposited inside between the lenses, that's why I told you 'if you have a lab or a photo repairer in the area it's better to have it checked'.
Although as HarisF1 says, it can work like that too.
But since it is a good lens, I personally would have it checked, briefly, I would regret it later.

ahh ok, ho capito. grazie mille!!
07-12-2020, 04:01 PM   #7
maw
Pentaxian

Ciao sjwoodworth,

It would be nice if you'd let us know how you solved the matter.

07-12-2020, 04:06 PM   #8

Original Poster
Will do! I doubt i'll ship it unless it gets worse, or I notice some problem with image quality. But next chance i get to take it into a camera store I will, and will report back
07-12-2020, 04:37 PM   #9
maw
Pentaxian

Will do! I doubt i'll ship it unless it gets worse, or I notice some problem with image quality. But next chance i get to take it into a camera store I will, and will report back
You said you bought it from Amazon, but there is no guarantee regarding the functionality or even the general appearance of the purchase? For example, I bought a notebook for my son, when it arrived it didn't work..., I contacted the seller who picked it up and repaired it at his expense.
So it should be for your 77mm. Am I wrong?
07-12-2020, 04:53 PM   #10

Original Poster
You said you bought it from Amazon, but there is no guarantee regarding the functionality or even the general appearance of the purchase? For example, I bought a notebook for my son, when it arrived it didn't work..., I contacted the seller who picked it up and repaired it at his expense.
So it should be for your 77mm. Am I wrong?
Looking back at the order it was actually through Adorama on Amazon, listed as a demo copy, used - like new. This was a couple years ago at this point though. Without the help of the flashlight the glass looks flawless to me and always has. So it's just the flashlight test which I did for the first time today that has revealed the (hopefully) dust.

I'm sure I could have sent it back at the time, had I noticed (if it's dust I imagine it hasn't gotten much worse with me, since I have been fairly vigilant keeping it in a case).. Adorama is great for returns.. though honestly I don't think I would have at the price I paid. To regret the purchase someone would have to come forward to convince me I've got a very big problem my hands
07-12-2020, 05:30 PM   #11
maw
Pentaxian

Believe me Sjwoodworth,
if it was a cheap lens, I would have waited. But a 77mm limited I would like a 77mm limited in perfect condition,
now to digress, last year I bought the 31mm limited (there are no others I think) in Japan new, on ebay I saw others but they were not good for the price or the conditions.
Most likely nothing will show up in the vast majority of cases, as it depends on many factors, angle of incidence, diaphragm, side light and so on.
But it could get worse over time. However... I wouldn't sleep knowing that it could happen.

Obviously don't take into consideration what I wrote
07-12-2020, 06:06 PM   #12
Veteran Member

I've had an FA77 that had this much dust and a touch of haze too. It really didn't affect IQ and now I know I was being a fussy bugger by returning when I should have just kept it. I think its probably normal for the lens, having owned a few of these. I think two of them were cleaner while two were very similar. All returned awesome images.
07-12-2020, 07:09 PM   #13

Original Poster
You're probably right, maw, that I should have had a better look at it on arrival! I actually got it just as I started having some eye issues that took a string of surgeries to resolve, so it hasn't gotten nearly enough use. Though my experience with it has for the images I have captured been overwhelmingly positive... as Hans is saying was the case for him, I don't feel I've run up against IQ problems.

Still, you aren't wrong to be worried: with a very bright light reflecting the right way though I do believe contrast would be severely affected.. managed to hit this angle... not quite perpendicular to the optical path, when the dust becomes much harder to see, but not too far off either...

07-12-2020, 08:10 PM - 1 Like   #14
maw
Pentaxian

You're probably right, maw, that I should have had a better look at it on arrival! I actually got it just as I started having some eye issues that took a string of surgeries to resolve, so it hasn't gotten nearly enough use. Though my experience with it has for the images I have captured been overwhelmingly positive... as Hans is saying was the case for him, I don't feel I've run up against IQ problems.
After what you said for the eyes, I hope and wish you all the best, we know very well how important the sight is in every aspect of social life (even more so for a photographer).

You seem to me a very reasonable person and I hope you have not misunderstood me, in real life I am quite precise I don't like to leave anything to chance that what I can do.

Again a wish for your lens and especially for you. Ovvero, ti auguro un prolungato sodalizio con l'obiettivo che guarda caso ci unisce spero nel bene anzichè nel male.

Best wishes, Mario
07-13-2020, 05:05 PM   #15
maw
Pentaxian

Hi sjwoodworth,

I found some footage of the 77 mm, do you feel like opening it...? Anyway, the dust on the lens is more common than you think.